2am Build Time

MadJoe11

So when I was in undergrad, new to flying, and a fool; I was putting the final touches on my Mini Edge 540. I was all excited and was programming my new DX6 for the maiden the next day. I had all my throws setup, dual rates, and so I put the prop on for the "whole effect." It was 2am and I look down and see this "throttle cut" button my my new Tx that I had no idea what it did. I was at zero throttle, so what could this do on an electric? So like a fool, I pushed it only to have to engine torque over at at least 75% throttle and traverse the 1.5 feet to me. It was coming at my face so I sacrificed a hand. Engine stopped after hitting my fingers, only to have bent the shaft..... on my fingers. I quickly disconnected the battery and accessed the damage. Remember this thing had a Park 480 on it with a new 12x6 prop. Left index had a little bit of flesh holding the end of the finger on, half the nail basically was just cut in two. Other fingers got scraped but that index was terrifying to look at. I quickly put pressure on it and wrapped it and ran a few doors down the hall to my other flying friend's room. Called my dad, and went to the hospital. Waited 6 hours in the ER for no apparent reason.... got really mad, so when my mom's clinic opened at 8, we left and I got 4 stitches put in by my doc. I swear, the lidocaine to numb it hurt more than the prop strike. Still have a small scar to this day, but the nail and feeling came back over time. Lesson learned, no props, no touchy buttons on your Tx that you have no idea what they do. Had to RMA the motor and waited a week to maiden it. :mad:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Owww! That must have hurt... I still haven't had any bad prop cuts... ..but I've also only had a plane for less than a month!

Good luck next time!

Porksboy

I cut an index finger off while cutting a sandwich. I'm new to RC flite an hope I never do it again.
The ER did put it back on. Its been 25 plus years ago and still have issues with that finger nail. I cant play guitar very well with that finger, of course I couldnt play at all before hand so....

DejaD

ARG=almost ready to glue
I cut an index finger off while cutting a sandwich. I'm new to RC flite an hope I never do it again.
The ER did put it back on. Its been 25 plus years ago and still have issues with that finger nail. I cant play guitar very well with that finger, of course I couldnt play at all before hand so....

Just out of curiousity, what kind of sandwich was it?
And...Did you eat it?