Next Airplane Suggestions

BenH

I recently built a Tiny Trainer, and had a lot of fun with it so far. I only got to fly it a few times with the trainer wing, but I am looking forward to getting a new plane soon. Does anyone have any suggestions for what would be a good second airplane once I am comfortable with the 4-channel version of the Tiny Trainer?

I am leaning towards a Mighty Mini F-22 Raptor, Arrow, Nano Flerken, or Millennial Flerken. Are these okay 2nd airplanes? Which one should I go with? Are there any other good planes I should go with instead?

I'm very new to this hobby, and any help would be appreciated.

Inq

Elite member
My first choice for learning was the Storch. Big, easy to fly, but with more power can be really fun even after you're experienced. I did it for my first plane... It is BIG, SLOW and EASY to fly... but expect it to stay relevant after I actually get good. :rolleyes: (someday) It takes off and lands in mere feet because it so slow when throttled down when other planes would stall.

I also built the Mini F-22 (with some mods) as the threads on the forum said it was really pretty docile. It was not my experience! Although, I'm building a second one similar to it because I'm an optimist and think I can conquer it. ;)

I also purchase the FT DR-1 as I didn't want to cut the scallop trailing edges with a razor blade. I read it is suppose to be a ball to fly, can fly in your back yard and look good also.

Do take into account, I'm just starting out and don't have a wealth of experience like most people on here.

BenH

I should have also mentioned that I'm sort of on a budget. I'm looking to buy the kit if it's a more complex build, but if it's a simple build (like the mini F-22 seems to be) I'll probably try scratch building. I'm trying to stay under $100 (including electronics), whether that means scratch building a simple plane, or buying a kit for a more complex one.

Inq

Elite member
I should have also mentioned that I'm sort of on a budget. I'm looking to buy the kit if it's a more complex build, but if it's a simple build (like the mini F-22 seems to be) I'll probably try scratch building. I'm trying to stay under $100 (including electronics), whether that means scratch building a simple plane, or buying a kit for a more complex one.

It sounds like you already have all the electronics... If you download the plans (FREE) and go to Dollar Tree for the foam board at $1.25 a piece all the planes are $5 or less. AS LONG as you stay away from the Master Series stuff. I think it depends on what motor you have already. I spent $16 on the motor/ESC/propeller. The A2212, 1000KV, 10" prop on the Storch. I'm using an A2212, 2200KV, 6" prop on the F-22 and a A2212, 1400KV, 8" prop on the DR-1 triplane and on my new F-22 replacement.

I only bought the kit for the DR-1 for the scalloped wings. Cutting curves with a razor blade is a PITA and I'm lazy. It can be done on with 2 sheets ($2.50) if you're patient. :cool:

MrClean

I've flown the F-22's before, didn't think they were that bad, really easy and they are dead simple roll and pull aircraft. They don't self stabilize, you'll have to do all of that. Too much of a jump from a level 1 to a level 3? Depends on how well you're handling the level 1. But the build isn't difficult and it gives you something to do. You could get the plans, build it without equipment and have that done while you beat your trainer around. Also consider a Nutball. They're fun to fly, are different to fly and they give you more points of reference in how to identify the speed and attitude of the airplane you're flying. You're teaching your eyes and muscle reflexes to work together automatically so you can use your brain to figure other stuff out at the same time. Sometimes that stuff is just orientation of an aircraft. I painted my pretty much stealthy scale gray. That meant it looked the same rolling away as coming back. Interesing. But it was an easy fly.
My emphasis here is to get you to make steps that keep you coming back instead of ones that will dishearten. At least these baby steps are fun. I'm a seasoned pilot I've got a brand new nutball downstairs. Gonna flyher indoors this weekend and hey, might even do some combat with it. I KNOW theres gonna be some tables stacked on top of each other to play carrier with.
But you've built the TTrainer, none of these other planes are really going to be outside your build save some of the master builts and even then, you can practice troublesome construction techniques on scrap and then do it on your plane.

BenH

It sounds like you already have all the electronics... If you download the plans (FREE) and go to Dollar Tree for the foam board at $1.25 a piece all the planes are $5 or less. AS LONG as you stay away from the Master Series stuff. I think it depends on what motor you have already. I spent $16 on the motor/ESC/propeller. The A2212, 1000KV, 10" prop on the Storch. I'm using an A2212, 2200KV, 6" prop on the F-22 and a A2212, 1400KV, 8" prop on the DR-1 triplane and on my new F-22 replacement.

I only bought the kit for the DR-1 for the scalloped wings. Cutting curves with a razor blade is a PITA and I'm lazy. It can be done on with 2 sheets ($2.50) if you're patient. :cool:
In terms of electronics I just have what came in the Tiny Trainer value bundle. I am not planning on disassembling the electronics in the trainer, so I was planning on getting some new ones. I still want to try building the mini F-22 as a scratch build.

Do you think that after some practice with bank and yank on my trainer I would be able to fly the F-22 okay?

Inq

Elite member
In terms of electronics I just have what came in the Tiny Trainer value bundle. I am not planning on disassembling the electronics in the trainer, so I was planning on getting some new ones. I still want to try building the mini F-22 as a scratch build.

Do you think that after some practice with bank and yank on my trainer I would be able to fly the F-22 okay?

Definitely wait for the rest of the forum to post... but after maybe 1 hours worth on the Storch (1st RC plane in 40 years) the F-22 was a hand-full. Like @MrClean says... you have to be on it ALL THE TIME. The Storch... I let go and it made me look like an expert (Even without SAFE). That being said... my eventual Auger-In with the F-22 was largely because it was all one color, is small and I couldn't tell if I was looking at the top or bottom. And I chose poorly.

If you look at the power to weight or the wing area to weight ratios, the F-22 isn't that much different than the Storch... meaning... its not that much of a leap. I

Note to self - Paint the bottom! A different color.

MrClean

"my eventual Auger-In with the F-22 was largely because it was all one color, is small and I couldn't tell if I was looking at the top or bottom. And I chose poorly. "
Don't feel bad, I bought one of those Voodoo's from UMX before christmas. It was tiny and purple but it flew so well on 2 cells. Got my 3rd cell in and even though I was trying to fly it at less then 1/2 throttle SO much more faster. I got it turned around and headed in the right direction and thought I'd bring it around off power so I rolled a bit and pulled and it dove. Darn thing was inverted AND about the size of a gnat. I put it on SAFE mode and the gnat danced a bit so NOW it was right side up and I reduced power again and rolled to bring it back BUT I blinked and I couldn't find it to focus on it. I killed the throttle and started walking. When things go wrong, they go wrong fast. I've got the new fuse for that, I'll swap it around and take that sucker to the flying field with the three cell on. It sure was cute BUT a little smaller then I thought it was going to be.
If you're scratch building, you don't have to put the equipment in while you build. They're pretty cool looking in paint just hanging in the bedroom. I won't take a picture over my shoulder. Or downstairs in the building room. Or in the family room, or on top, LOOOK they just look cool if they're ready to fly or not AND at a couple bucks for foam board, why not? Does sound like the storch would be a better build OR build a new wing for the Trainer fuse and put ailerons on it. roll and pull on that. It's really not that hard, you're rudder servo is making the wing do the roll by pushing the leading edge into the wind and that gives it more lift. Enough dihedral and you wouldn't know it didn't have ailerons except, the roll is different. A group of combat guys drove the other combat guys nuts at the NATS one year with that. You can have an aileron wing for next to nothing and an extra servo for your trainer and then maybe the storch. I generally have a barber pole pattern on the bottom of my wing, some feathering on top

Attachments

• flipperenhanced.png
    flipperenhanced.png
    38.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210110_143531.jpg
    20210110_143531.jpg
    333.7 KB · Views: 0

BenH

What's the difference between a Storch and a TTrainer with an aileron wing in terms of flight difficulty and the things they can teach me?

Inq

Elite member
What's the difference between a Storch and a TTrainer with an aileron wing in terms of flight difficulty and the things they can teach me?

Again... let people with knowledge of both weigh in. But the Storch is a lot bigger wing. It is very lightly loaded. It can take off in several plane lengths. With any head-wind, it'll nearly levitate. I landed in a head-wind once... it did not roll at all. It can be configured with three versions of aileron... (1) just ailerons - about the outer third of wing (2) ailerons with separate flaps and (3) with full span flaperons. I chose wrongly with this last version. I thought with full span flaps it'd be easier to land. But it was way too touchy during normal flight and it didn't really need the flaps to land slowly.

I think if you were more expert the full span flaperons could do some outstanding stunts, but it was too much for me at my level. I cut the at the separation and fixed the flaps... but I can always re-attach them later when I get better. The build video talks about the choices a little better.

I think the Storch is a great plane. A slow trainer, but could do acrobatics with the flaperons. Its big, easy to see even several hundred yards out and gives you plenty of time to think and respond. If you get confused... simply let go and the natural aerodynamics of it... will level out. Don't need any fancy SAFE, electronics stuff to think for you.

Good luck with whatever your choice.

BenH

Again... let people with knowledge of both weigh in. But the Storch is a lot bigger wing. It is very lightly loaded. It can take off in several plane lengths. With any head-wind, it'll nearly levitate. I landed in a head-wind once... it did not roll at all. It can be configured with three versions of aileron... (1) just ailerons - about the outer third of wing (2) ailerons with separate flaps and (3) with full span flaperons. I chose wrongly with this last version. I thought with full span flaps it'd be easier to land. But it was way too touchy during normal flight and it didn't really need the flaps to land slowly.

I think if you were more expert the full span flaperons could do some outstanding stunts, but it was too much for me at my level. I cut the at the separation and fixed the flaps... but I can always re-attach them later when I get better. The build video talks about the choices a little better.

I think the Storch is a great plane. A slow trainer, but could do acrobatics with the flaperons. Its big, easy to see even several hundred yards out and gives you plenty of time to think and respond. If you get confused... simply let go and the natural aerodynamics of it... will level out. Don't need any fancy SAFE, electronics stuff to think for you.

Good luck with whatever your choice.
Thanks for all the input you're giving me. It's really helping me narrow down from all the overwhelming options that I have.

I'm just trying to determine which planes would be best for improving my flight skills. I don't want to end up having tons of planes that are very similar and where I don't learn many new things from each plane. I'd like to end up with a variety of airplanes (trainers, gliders, wings, jets, etc.) with a decent skill set in each one.

Inq

Elite member
I'd like to end up with a variety of airplanes (trainers, gliders, wings, jets, etc.) with a decent skill set in each one.

Same here... check my signature for the variety and it'll only get more diverse (Once I get good enough ;)) I started with a 3D printed Spitfire. Big mistake!

IMO... starting out with a good slow trainer and really mastering it going away from you and coming toward you. Then recovering from OOOP's! A slow trainer gives you time to (1) think (2) formulate a solution and (3) do it. An F-22 is a relatively big jump that requires constant correction. So while you're still in step (1) or (2)... the F-22 is a smoking hole in the ground. :rolleyes:

SAFE electronics is a crutch. YOU didn't recover it... the electronics did.

Just my 2 cents worth being at the same stage you sound like.

Good luck.

MaxTheFliteFreak

Welcome to this wonderful hobby! I would reccomend to stay away from anything that is fast, because reaction time and correction is everything and is much easier to learn with a slower plane. Watch reviews, videos and do lot's of research on a plane to see if it fits the bill. If you are on a budget, keep those electronics from the tiny trainer and use them on something similar in size like the mini series. I would reccomend the FT Mini Sportster or Mini Scout (with ailerons added) as I have read that they are great all-round performers and will teach you bank-and-yank. You can also try scratch building something, if you can't find a plane that suits your needs, you can make it yourself. It will be a bit tedious at first, but once you get it flying, it will be such a rewarding feeling. Also, look out for local RC flying clubs, and see if one of the members will buddy box with you so that they can get you out of trouble if things go South.

Goodluck in your journey and happy flying!

danskis

Master member
I'd recommend you stay away from anything small (the large F22 is good). For help in orientation put some red on the nose or tail and on the top of the wings. Download the plans and buy some foamboard. I haven't built one but I've read that the P40 is a good 2nd plane and a few years ago some folks were building it as a first plane.

JDSnavely

If you got the bundle, you are probably talking about the A motor. My suggestion is sticking with the Tiny Trainer and go to the F or FE motors to get to the next level. Start with 2S 650 battery. The 2S makes it light and a little bit slower for relaxing flights. Then go to 3S 850. A lot faster and lots of fun doing loops, rolls etc. It's nice to have safe to switch on and off but not really necessary. My oldest is an excellent pilot and has several planes but flies the Tiny Trainer the most. My youngest likes building new things and has made most of the FT designs and doesn't mind crashing. Any of the FT designs are fun but a little.. or a lot... underpowered with the A motor. If you stick with the A motor I would recommend the Mini Scout. All three of us agree it is very fun to fly on 2S with the A motor. The landing gear makes it really stable even in some wind. Very little damage with crashing because it is so light. We modified the landing gear by adding a skewer.. to act as a pivot... through the side and then a second skewer behind in the fuselage to attach a small rubber band around the bottom for cushine. Haven't damaged the landing gear since doing this. Since it is so light, the 3 channel responds like a 4 chanel plane. So, if you have the A motor, definately think small and light. If you get an F motor then any of the FT designs are great to try. Welcome to the hobby.

Also, a composite prop with a little more pitch really improves performance on the Tiny Trainer. I have broken plenty of props on good landings in tall grass with the Tiny Trainer with the cheap plastic props.

Foamforce

I’ll put another plug in for the Scout. The regular one, not the mini or the XL. It was a surprisingly easy build and is the best flying plane I’ve built. I’m pretty new to this, but I’ve built a Storch, two Deltas, two Nutballs, a Snowball, a Mini Scout, the regular Scout, a Wonder Glider, and a Guinea Pig. The best thing about the Scout is that taking off and landing with it is the easiest of any of my planes. It lifts off easily without any unexpected roll or tip stall. No drama. Also, it uses B pack stuff which is the ubiquitous 2212/1000kv motor that is super cheap everywhere.

The Fopster

Master member
I don’t think I have ever seen a post here from someone who built a scout and regretted it. Ever. But whatever you build - good luck! Hope you have fun.

BenH

Is the Mini Scout a good plane? Or is the regular Scout better?

I would prefer the mini because I could reuse the A pack electronics from my TTrainer.