Help! 2nd Brown out in a row, Help!

dap35

Elite member
One possible way to combat losing signal, besides getting a better signal, is to use a gyro with level mode, like this one. If you set up your fail safe to neutral sticks, and then set up the fail safe for your gyro mode switch to level mode, then when you lose signal, it will level out and stay level as it glides down. I have one of my planes set up this way and I’ve bench tested it, but I don’t have the guts to try out IRL. 😂

I set my failsafe to throttle cut, self-level mode plus rudder. While I have not turned off my tx during flight, I did take my plane up, cut throttle and give it full rudder in self level mode and it worked a charm. A nice gentle decent in a circle.

Gr8folded

That sounds like you've solved the issue, excellent!
A little aecdote about interference; I lost two planes to the interference at Flite Fest and had at least one more lose signal briefly, but was able to recover. The pumps took out an OrangeRX, a Spektrum, and an FRsky. The interference there can be quite brutal and broad-spectrum.
Sorry to hear that you had that issue as well...and across 3 brands. Sounds like when the interference is just right no brand is immune.

I'll see if I decide to use the Lemon RX again. Still have one that is unopened as well and hate for it to not get used.

Gr8folded

One possible way to combat losing signal, besides getting a better signal, is to use a gyro with level mode, like this one. If you set up your fail safe to neutral sticks, and then set up the fail safe for your gyro mode switch to level mode, then when you lose signal, it will level out and stay level as it glides down. I have one of my planes set up this way and I’ve bench tested it, but I don’t have the guts to try out IRL. 😂

May need to explore the gyro realm eventually.

Gr8folded

I set my failsafe to throttle cut, self-level mode plus rudder. While I have not turned off my tx during flight, I did take my plane up, cut throttle and give it full rudder in self level mode and it worked a charm. A nice gentle decent in a circle.
Thanks! Without a gyro system, and based on another comment above. I have set my failsafe to a small bit of up elevator and slight left aileron. Perhaps rudder would be better.

Foamforce

I’m not sure that would work on mine, but I’ll check. The manual on mine says that it will auto level when the sticks are released. If I put left rudder in my failsafe, then it shouldn‘t go into auto level. It’s possible that it ignores the rudder though, since it does ignore the throttle. Maybe it just needs the left stick to be released. I’ll give that a shot!

dap35

Elite member
I’m not sure that would work on mine, but I’ll check. The manual on mine says that it will auto level when the sticks are released. If I put left rudder in my failsafe, then it shouldn‘t go into auto level. It’s possible that it ignores the rudder though, since it does ignore the throttle. Maybe it just needs the left stick to be released. I’ll give that a shot!
I'm using FrSky Archer receivers, so on those I can set the fail-safe to turn on self-level mode and also rudder. Much like if you are flying self level mode and then only move the rudder stick it will make a flat turn.

Foamforce

I'm using FrSky Archer receivers, so on those I can set the fail-safe to turn on self-level mode and also rudder. Much like if you are flying self level mode and then only move the rudder stick it will make a flat turn.

I’m just not sure that the self level mode on my HobbyEagle will activate if the rudder is being used. It won’t activate if either the elevator or ailerons are being used, but I’m not sure that I’ve ever tried using it with the rudder. If it works, that will be cool.

That sounds like you've solved the issue, excellent!
A little aecdote about interference; I lost two planes to the interference at Flite Fest and had at least one more lose signal briefly, but was able to recover. The pumps took out an OrangeRX, a Spektrum, and an FRsky. The interference there can be quite brutal and broad-spectrum.
Tench,
Do you know if Flite Test Folk have figured out something to mitigate the interference and there by brown outs at Flite Fest 2023. Maybe a good topic for a post?
Thanks

Tench745

Master member
Tench,
Do you know if Flite Test Folk have figured out something to mitigate the interference and there by brown outs at Flite Fest 2023. Maybe a good topic for a post?
Thanks
I heard they were working on a solution, either changing the pump schedules or perhaps some kind of faraday cage. I don't know what the final results of that exploration are though.

dap35

Elite member
I’m just not sure that the self level mode on my HobbyEagle will activate if the rudder is being used. It won’t activate if either the elevator or ailerons are being used, but I’m not sure that I’ve ever tried using it with the rudder. If it works, that will be cool.
It is easy enough to try on the bench.... set the fails-safe and then turn off your TX.