3... 2... 1... Let's Jam! - Swordfish II Entry into the 2019 Fantasy Aircraft Design & Build Challenge

kilroy07

Legendary member
@kilroy07 have you made any progress?
Oh now your just rubbing it in aren't you?!! (Mister, "I've done seven planes and you haven't gotten one done yet!") :ROFLMAO:

I've got a couple days of good weather coming up this weekend (bizzare for Illinois) so I "Should" be able to post a large update (maybe with a maiden) after this weekend... glide test were "okay" tweaking the 3d Models a bit...

kilroy07

Legendary member
Time for an update!! A Looong over due update.

So, first off this;
IMG_8091[1].JPG
This is the motor mount. 3D printed and the fourth (at least fourth... I might have lost count) iteration of the design.
Finally (this past weekend) got a design that I am happy with. AND was able to print out.
My 3D printer has been due for an upgrade/rebuild for awhile now... I started work on it's successor in December... but that's not up and running yet... (on the schedule for this week.) More failed prints then I would like.....
So a lot of time was spent getting to this point.

Long arms will hopefully tame down the quirkyness, but being SO short coupled... I'm almost tempted to put a control gryo on it (for pitch if nothing else...)

The core design has been up-scaled by 119%. (Why 119 and not 120? because 119 fits within the working area of my laser... 120 does not.) :LOL:
Based on glide test, a little more wing area isn't going to hurt!

If I get pieces cut tonight I will have a "flying" model by the weekend, if not, it will probably wait as I don't want to suck -14 degree air into the house (due to the laser's exhaust.) Ironically, by Sunday the temps should be at 50 degrees again!
Gotta love Illinois weather. :rolleyes:

This project now has the priority on my workbench, so I will try to update (at least) once a week!

PoorManRC

Master member
..... I sure don't miss Illinois Weather!!! :eek: Don't miss Chicago Rush Hour - or Champaign TORNADOES!!
I miss the People though....

JTarmstr

Elite member
Any update on this? I happened to see a scene from the show this was featured in (some sort of dogfight), and I really loved the smooth animation and how it feels like a ww2 dogfight but with thrust vectoring and lasers.

kilroy07

Legendary member
Yup, still working on it...
Had a "brilliant" idea to use mechanical advantage to limit the throw for the vectoring thrust... then... when I built the working model.... then... GEOMETRY! :mad: (my arch nemesis...)
Turns out you have to have the arms on a pull-pull setup the same length as the horns... Who would've thunk it?!!

So, redesigned my motor mount and then the 3D printer (which is LONG overdue for it's upgrade as well) decided it was going to take a vacation and not produce anything useful for about a week and a half...
FINALLY traced the "issue" back to a missing set screw... (which BTW I distinctly remember thinking "Huh, now where did that come from" when I found it on my workbench days earlier...) :rolleyes:

I've got a 3 day weekend coming up and what "might" be a decent day to fly on Monday or Tuesday... So I will be furiously working these next nights getting a few things wrapped up and ready!

I will be out of town the last week of February (anyone in Cypress TX?) but my plan is to release at LEAST the alpha/beta plans by then...

I think it'll fly... how well is yet to be seen...

kilroy07

Legendary member
Time for another update.

Did a full Alpha build today as what was to be a decent day to maiden turned out to be an icy mess....
"Thank you Illinois weather!!".....

Anyway, I took some time from the Build-ruary and did this;
IMG_8258[2].JPG

A LOT of working changes to add to the plans, but I expect to share beta plans by the end of the week.
This is a working prototype with all electronics installed and ready to flight test... Still need to 3D print the ring for the prop, but my printer is being a pain... (I know what's wrong with it... and I just need ONE part to build it's successor... but it's just toying with me!) :mad:

Been a long time coming (I know) but soon we'll see if all the work was worth it or not... (iow, "will she fly?")

I have high hopes, and I have a good feeling about it, plenty of thrust... but the servos for the ailerons seem to be twitchy.... they are the digital micro servos.... (Going to look into that a tad more tomorrow.)

Here's a few pics if your interested in the cobbled mess that is the prototype. ;)
IMG_8259[1].JPG

IMG_8260[1].JPG
IMG_8261[1].JPG

One thing, my covering iron has become my new favorite tool!!! It even does BEVELS!!!
IMG_8262[1].JPG

I seriously want to patent this idea! :LOL: Not only does it make nice seams, but it seems to stiffen up the control surface as well!
Might write an article tomorrow about it... always tomorrow....

'Night all!

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Great progress! Thank you for documenting the trials and tribulations, to me it's what makes the forum.
Good luck gliding.
The iron is tremendous.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Time for another update.

Did a full Alpha build today as what was to be a decent day to maiden turned out to be an icy mess....
"Thank you Illinois weather!!".....

Anyway, I took some time from the Build-ruary and did this;
View attachment 124358

A LOT of working changes to add to the plans, but I expect to share beta plans by the end of the week.
This is a working prototype with all electronics installed and ready to flight test... Still need to 3D print the ring for the prop, but my printer is being a pain... (I know what's wrong with it... and I just need ONE part to build it's successor... but it's just toying with me!) :mad:

Been a long time coming (I know) but soon we'll see if all the work was worth it or not... (iow, "will she fly?")

I have high hopes, and I have a good feeling about it, plenty of thrust... but the servos for the ailerons seem to be twitchy.... they are the digital micro servos.... (Going to look into that a tad more tomorrow.)

Here's a few pics if your interested in the cobbled mess that is the prototype. ;)
View attachment 124347

View attachment 124348
View attachment 124349

One thing, my covering iron has become my new favorite tool!!! It even does BEVELS!!!
View attachment 124350

I seriously want to patent this idea! :LOL: Not only does it make nice seams, but it seems to stiffen up the control surface as well!
Might write an article tomorrow about it... always tomorrow....

'Night all!

Looks awesome and it has that TLAR for flight.

Agreed on the iron - it can be a great tool to have around.

kilroy07

Legendary member
Update time!

Took the alpha build out to the field yesterday. AND.... this...
That'll remain unlisted as;
1. It didn't fly.
2. I had my 11 year old daughter filming (you would think a kid in this day and age would know how to take video, right?)

But, MUCH was learned!
Why it seemed to glide okay, but not fly under power was odd.
But I had my good friend @FroggerJon there to help.
We (he) decided it was basically a plank and needed the CG WAY forward of where I had it.
After a "Field modification" it came closer and closer... but didn't quite get there before the airframe gave up due to the repeated abuse.

But I really think we were on the right track!
So on to the beta build with all I've learned so far!

JTarmstr

Elite member
Update time!

Took the alpha build out to the field yesterday. AND.... this...
That'll remain unlisted as;
1. It didn't fly.
2. I had my 11 year old daughter filming (you would think a kid in this day and age would know how to take video, right?)

But, MUCH was learned!
Why it seemed to glide okay, but not fly under power was odd.
But I had my good friend @FroggerJon there to help.
We (he) decided it was basically a plank and needed the CG WAY forward of where I had it.
After a "Field modification" it came closer and closer... but didn't quite get there before the airframe gave up due to the repeated abuse.

But I really think we were on the right track!
So on to the beta build with all I've learned so far!

Yes the instant I saw the crash it screamed tail heavy, Hopefully the beta build will do better. Good luck!

EDIT: corrected alpha to beta :)

Last edited:

kilroy07

Legendary member
Contest Update.

I'm out of town (state) on business but I wanted to at least give you an update on plans.
"I'm working on them"...
Until I get them all polished and nice, I have shared the DXF (generic cad files) here.

Red is cut, yellow is 50% cut and green reference.
These are ALPHA plans, but (if you want to try this subject) should get you to a decent model.

From flight review it appears the CG should be nearly on the leading edge.
I am also reconsidering the vectored thrust (wondering if ailerons will be enough?)
I also need to redesign how the winglets attach, just not enough strength there.
I designed it with a hole for a 100mm Christmas ornament... might want to check out the clearance isle/goodwill! :LOL:

I will certainly continue this project and hopefully have everything sorted out by flite test.

Any questions on construction just ask... pretty basic design all in all...
Once the design come together better I will do a build video as well as polished plans (promise.)

Attachments

• Swordfish II_FT plans.dxf
    81.3 KB · Views: 0

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Woohoo!! With some alpha plans and a glide video this makes it into the scoring round! (y)

Congrats on being one of the few, the proud, the Phase 1 completers! :cool: