3.3 Meter Ford Flivver

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Since the flivver is so short coupled and won't require much throw, I've decided to go with 1 elevator servo. It'll have two separate control linkages to each elevator half so if, for example, a hinge tears or a control horn's ripped out from an extra sketchy takeoff, I can still land it.
Here's the wheel I'll be using. I will use PETG with some stainless steel tubing where the axle enters. It'll have to be scaled up a little, but ib theory should work fine. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3047199

Quinnyperks

Legendary member
Since the flivver is so short coupled and won't require much throw, I've decided to go with 1 elevator servo. I It'll have two separate control linkages to each elevator half so if, for example, a hinge tears or a control horn's ripped out from an extra sketchy takeoff, I can still land it.
When I get back tomorrow I’ll start. I bet by the end of Thursday I’ll have an airframe.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Here's the 36x48 tiled plans. I had to put some smaller parts inside the wing to save room and cost on printing. I still have to optimize the 30x40 plans because lots of the parts will rely on grain for strength or moldabilty (is that even a word). Expect those tomorrow.

Attachments

• tile 1 .5 scale Flivver pdf plans.pdf
    24.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Tile 2 .5 scale Flivver pdf plans.pdf
    23.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Tile 3 .5 scale Flivver pdf plans.pdf
    45.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Tile 4 .5 scale Flivver pdf plans.pdf
    33.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I ran into a couple of issues with tiling the plans for foamboard, one of which was my neglecting to save the file after each major step. I'll try again tomorrow morning, so hopefully I can get then uploaded then🤞

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Here's the foam board sheet tiled plans with everything orientated for strength.

Attachments

• Tile 1 30x40 Flivver plans.pdf
    2.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Tile 2 30x40 Flivver plans.pdf
    2.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Tile 3 30x40 Flivver plans.pdf
    33.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Tile 4 30x40 Flivver plans.pdf
    59.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Tile 5 30x40 Flivver plans.pdf
    25.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Tile 6 30x40 Flivver plans.pdf
    6.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Tile 7 30x40 Flivver plans.pdf
    5.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Tile 8 30x40 Flivver plans.pdf
    3.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Tile 9 30x40 Flivver plans.pdf
    10.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Tile 10 30x40 Flivver plans.pdf
    13.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Tile 11 30x40 Flivver plans.pdf
    3.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Tile 12 30x40 Flivver plans.pdf
    4.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Tile 13 30x40 Flivver plans.pdf
    5.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Tile 14 30x40 Flivver plans.pdf
    23.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Tile 15 30x40 Flivver plans.pdf
    13.3 KB · Views: 0

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
The numbers for the spars are:
Main spar: 2.5"tall, 1/2" poplar sandwiched by foam board (towards the wingtip balsa can be used instead of poplar) with the grain going top to bottom, and 208mm from the LE of the wing
Secondary spar: 1" tall, 1/3" balsa sandwiched between foam board, and 495mm from the LE

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I picked up the plans, and now it's easier to get a true sense of the scale of this plane. Since I'll be at airventure over the weekend, I won't have much time to cut them out, but on Monday I'll start and hopefully finish by tuesday at the latest.
D28EFCF9-5E49-414A-8290-FBFBA12E2A64.jpeg

I'm probably going to turn this into a resource after I draw up the spars, Ford logo template, and reinforcements with files for the untiled, 36x48 sheets, 30x40, and for letter paper (just incase someone out there wants it)

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I finished all the plans, but ran out of foam board after making both centers of the v stab+elevators parts. I can get some more on Thursday or Friday, so hopefully I can cut everything out then.
image.jpg

Looking at this elevator part in person, I'll definitely need a dual elevator servo setup.
The new propellers should arrive soon since I broke both props on the Shinden. Here's the motor I hope to use for those props:
image.jpg

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I got foam board last night and started cutting some more today. I decided to only cut out pieces as I use them to save space in the workshop area, so today I made the tail feathers. It uses the same idea from David's 200% spitfire from a while back for the hinges. The control surfaces are doubled up, and the stabilizers are triple thick. Since this acts sort of like a KF step airfoil with an extremely weak force, I've made it so that on the v-stab, any lift generated will counteract the torque from the motor. I actually used no hot glue, but just some krylon high strength spray glue to stick everything together (the v-stab isn't glued to the h-stab yet). It's actually a stronger bond than the bond between the paper and the foam, so I'm pretty confident in it. I probably saved at least 5 glue sticks of weight from the tail, which makes a huge difference due to the Flivver's short nose.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

The tail off of a 1.2m plane for scale:
image.jpg

Here's the spray glue used:
image.jpg

Last edited:

GrizWiz

Elite member
I got foam board last night and started cutting some more today. I decided to only cut out pieces as I use them to save space in the workshop area, so today I made the tail feathers. It uses the same idea from David's 200% spitfire from a while back for the hinges. The control surfaces are doubled up, and the stabilizers are triple thick. Since this acts sort of like a KF step airfoil with an extremely weak force, I've made it so that on the v-stab, any lift generated will counteract the torque from the motor. I actually used no hot glue, but just some krylon high strength spray glue to stick everything together (the v-stab isn't glued to the h-stab yet). It's actually a stronger bond than the bond between the paper and the foam, so I'm pretty confident in it. I probably saved at least 5 glue sticks of weight from the tail, which makes a huge difference due to the Flivver's short nose. View attachment 204754 View attachment 204755 View attachment 204756
The tail off of a 1.2m plane for scale: View attachment 204757
Here's the spray glue used:
View attachment 204758
That's gonna be big! I might work in a mighty mini design of this plane

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
The fuselage is mostly done. J just need to add the turtledeck and the front top and bottom pieces. I'll also be adding a doubler where the wing meets the fuselage, and 2 shelves where the motor mount will slide in. Everything came out pretty square, and even with tape reinforcement, this thing's crazy light. If it comes out underweight, I can afford to make both spars shorter and the landing gear can be less beefy. I'm espececially surprised by how light the tail is ( and it won't get much heavier, only 3 servos just behind the cg, the turtledeck which will have the papre removed from one side, and a tail skid), so I won't need much up front to balance it out.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

GrizWiz

Elite member
The fuselage is mostly done. J just need to add the turtledeck and the front top and bottom pieces. I'll also be adding a doubler where the wing meets the fuselage, and 2 shelves where the motor mount will slide in. Everything came out pretty square, and even with tape reinforcement, this thing's crazy light. If it comes out underweight, I can afford to make both spars shorter and the landing gear can be less beefy. I'm espececially surprised by how light the tail is ( and it won't get much heavier, only 3 servos just behind the cg, the turtledeck which will have the papre removed from one side, and a tail skid), so I won't need much up front to balance it out. View attachment 204788 View attachment 204789 View attachment 204790
Looking good!

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I was out of state for a while, but now that I’m back I can finally get back to work on the flivver. I added the reinforcement shelf and turtledeck in about 2 hours, and I tried to mold the skins as little as possible before gluing them down to keep them from stronger. I worked pretty well considering I ran out of blue tape and had to use packing tape to hold everything down. After I finish the headrest’s aerodynamic cover, I’ll make the motor box while everything’s still easily accessible.
image.jpg
image.jpg