Solved 3 Blade Propeller Cub S+

alejo048814

Hey can i put a 3 Blade Propeller on my cub S+? An which one will work best? Also what are the pros and cons?
And so, will any right sized brand will fit the coupler?
Can i use a spinner on it too?
And which one would be recommended?

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
What is your objective? speed, scale looks, reducing prop strikes?

Two-bladed propellers are commonly used because they are relatively efficient, adding more blades decreases the overall efficiency of the prop because each blade has to cut through more turbulent air from the preceding blade but sometimes 3 blades are an advantage for the scale look or in my case I use a 3 blade on my float plane with smaller diameter to reduce prop splashing water on my FPV camera lens during takeoff
this did stop the water issue but did eat some fight time, on some models fuselage and ground clearance issues might dictate which propeller size you can use on the model. As with everything, trial and error ........so test and test
when choosing a three propeller, over a two bladed one, there is a general rule ...... to decrease the prop diameter by an inch and increase the pitch by an inch,

now a watt meter to be certain your not over working your ESC or motor is advised, at the very least use a thermal gun to test your ESC and motor temps to be certain your not overloading & over heating the electronics

as to fitment buy a prop with the adapter ring spacers that fit many prop shaft diameters

I like Master Airscrew props with my 3 bladed prop choices

Last edited:

alejo048814

Two-bladed propellers are commonly used because they are relatively efficient, adding more blades decreases the overall efficiency of the prop because each blade has to cut through more turbulent air from the preceding blade but sometimes 3 blades are an advantage for the scale look or in my case I use a 3 blade on my float plane with smaller diameter to reduce prop splashing water on my FPV camera lens during takeoff
this did stop the water issue but did eat some fight time, on some models fuselage and ground clearance issues might dictate which propeller size you can use on the model. As with everything, trial and error ........so test and test
when choosing a three propeller, over a two bladed one, there is a general rule ...... to decrease the prop diameter by an inch and increase the pitch by an inch,

now a watt meter to be certain your not over working your ESC or motor is advised, at the very least use a thermal gun to test your ESC and motor temps to be certain your not overloading & over heating the electronics

as to fitment buy a prop with the adapter ring spacers that fit many prop shaft diameters

would be scale but efficiency also, don't know if may be more stability or what can that improves on different areas, for the looks i would go with wood but the black ones with logos appeal very much to me too

Last edited:

alejo048814

//// Would this fit and what could happen? Don't find an 8x7 anywhere

Attachments

• ED89B3B4-A239-48A9-9FEF-1AE7AF5C9D2B.png
    ED89B3B4-A239-48A9-9FEF-1AE7AF5C9D2B.png
    527.6 KB · Views: 0

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
Would this fit and what could happen?
if you have the hobbyzone carbon cub I just looked and it has a 9x6 2 blade correct? the 3 blade you choose is a 9x6 as well but the added weight .......that will likely over work your electronics system as explained above

Don't find an 8x7 anywhere
yeah that happens so drop down to the closest 8x6 3 blade....like I said previously there is a trade off...... performance/efficiency loss and you would loose a bit of top speed with an 8x6 3 blade

alejo048814

Attachments

• 81F7D9AD-8E46-4F1C-99F0-E3582022F464.png
    81F7D9AD-8E46-4F1C-99F0-E3582022F464.png
    859.6 KB · Views: 0
  • EF49F4B4-A43F-473D-82FD-5A36CFD4DF92.png
    EF49F4B4-A43F-473D-82FD-5A36CFD4DF92.png
    995.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 7B4E6D7C-D460-4F61-96FE-7E8284B18759.png
    7B4E6D7C-D460-4F61-96FE-7E8284B18759.png
    837.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 83C247B1-FB22-4499-8AAA-B9CA643BD5C4.png
    83C247B1-FB22-4499-8AAA-B9CA643BD5C4.png
    786.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

alejo048814

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
pics please I have no idea what your referring to

edit: I now see the dots & dents you refer to in the photos you posted...... dont worry about the dents and dots its a non issue,

Last edited:

alejo048814

Attachments

• D83F8E75-094A-49B3-B491-6744334FA0E5.png
    D83F8E75-094A-49B3-B491-6744334FA0E5.png
    400.4 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0