300,000 registered with FAA

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
I didn't register yet. I plan on taking my transmitter for a walk while looking at all the pretty clouds. My civil disobedienceness is acting up.

Last edited:

tamuct01

Not yet. I will probably wait until Feb 20 in the unlikely event that the AMA pulls their heads out and can get an injunction against this registration scheme. My AMA membership isn't up until the end of 2016, but unless real progress is made this year I doubt I will be renewing.

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
I'm going to eventually register via the part 74 (paper) process. Hopefully it's more painful for the FAA. A side benefit is that I'll be able to pick a real N number.

Best regards,
PCH

kacknor

Build another!
I'm going to eventually register via the part 74 (paper) process. Hopefully it's more painful for the FAA. A side benefit is that I'll be able to pick a real N number.

Best regards,
PCH

I googled to learn more about this part 74 option and found this. Dayum.

From: http://www.fohonline.com/current-issue/75-company-411/11175-the-fccs-part-74-license.html

Getting a Part 74 License: The DIY Method
By George Petersen
The FCC maintains an online Universal Licensing System (ULS) at http://wireless.fcc.gov/uls, which consolidates the database and application filing system for most wireless radio services. Alternatively, forms can be downloaded in PDF form and once completed, mailed to the FCC, although this hard copy approach is not highly recommended.
The first step in the application process is obtaining an FCC Registration Number (FRN). This 10-digit number is assigned to all entities (individual and corporate) and becomes your specific ID used in all of your communications with the FCC, now and in the future, including the application process.

Once you have received an FRN, you can dive into the application. The text of the required Form 601 instructions is 127 pages, and although only a portion of that applies to getting a Part 74 License, there is no “wireless mic users click here” button. Instead you should look for the “Land Mobile — Broadcast Auxiliary Low Power” — the so-designated “LP” section, in Form 601 Schedule H. Unfortunately, audio wireless mic/IEM users are currently lumped in with the “authorization to operate a radio station in the Private Land Mobile and Land Mobile Broadcast Auxiliary Radio Services,” so it’s an odd pairing. Hopefully, the FCC will come up with some sound company-friendly version of the application at some future date.

Meanwhile, in true bureaucratic fashion, few of the Form 601 questions are straightforward and most appear like they were written by the people who designed the IRS forms. So, as with IRS filings, it can be done by yourself, but many wireless users requiring a license go to third-party firms (such as PWS) to handle the paperwork. Either way, you pay the fee (filing is about $150, plus any preparers’ fees, if applicable). Assuming it’s all filled out correctly and with a little luck — and there are no typos or omissions that greatly delay the process — you should have your license about four months later.

$150 bucks and 4 months wait. Pain travels both ways I guess. Bureaucrats.

JD

JohnRambozo

Today the FAA announced that 300,000 people have registered their "drones". Considering that 700,000 "drones were estimated to be sold this holiday season, that means that only a portion have registered. Have any of you guys decided to not register? http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-ne...00-drone-owners-have-registered-first-n502201

That number would only represent people, not actual aircraft. The registration number they give you can be used on as many aircraft as you own. Its a personal identifier, not an identifier for individual drones. So 300,000 people could represent a million drones if they each own 3 or so. I think most of us own more than that.

The point is to track the drone back to the owner if it is used irresponsibly or maliciously. The thing that scares me is how easy it would be to impersonate someone if you get their number. It would be relatively easy to do at any flying event, then put that number on a drone and go do something stupid with it. Also, if you lose your drone, your number has been compromised and who knows what the person that finds it will do with "your" drone.

If you lose a drone, you have effectively revealed your identity. Does anyone know if the FAA has a system in place for reissuing a number in this situation?

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
I googled to learn more about this part 74 option and found this.

Samsonite - I was way off!
I'm sorry, I was a bit lisdexic when I wrote that.....

It's the FAA part 47 (aircraft registration).

Best regards,
PCH

jamboree1

This looks about as a big of a failure as obamacare, this is what happens when you force something down the public's throat they don't want. people are only registering out of fear and intimidation.

Last edited:

JohnRambozo

Alright, well, I wanted to look to see if there's a way to have a number reissued. I can't even log in. I've changed my password 4 times and it still won't recognize my password.

I emailed them... Great system.

Last edited:

jamboree1

Alright, well, I wanted to look to see if there's a way to have a number reissued. I can't even log in. I've changed my password 4 times and it still won't recognize my password.

I emailed them... Great system.

John, you are silly, you really expect a government website to work properly? They can't even get your password saved correctly, where do you think your credit card number ends up at?

JohnRambozo

John, you are silly, you really expect a government website to work properly? They can't even get your password saved correctly, where do you think your credit card number ends up at?

Yes, I know. Foolish, really. The FAQ even says they hope to have a system in place in 2016 that will make registrant information private... They weren't interested in that from the start? Of course not.

I emailed them asking about reporting lost or stolen numbers, too. I'll let you know if I get a response.

pilot1

Let me know what they say if you get a response. I want to look up my number to see how much I can really find out about myself

jamboree1

You will just find your name, address, phone numbers, credit card numbers and what you had for breakfast ;)

tamuct01

I have an old credit card I've been planning to close for a while. I'll probably register with that credit card and then close it. When someone does hack the FAA system they won't have a usable card on me. As for the name and address, there's already google for that.

mrstamp80

I used a credit card that i normally don't use at all, and once i got refunded the $5 i called my credit card company and told them i lost my card. They have since reissued me a new card with new numbers.

I was very reluctant to register, but since i use my quad at work from time to time. I didn't want to deal with the future hassles just in case.