300,000 registered with FAA

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
I have not registered. Nor will I. The FAA could say they have 10 million registered people. I won't be one of them. I don't agree with their terms, I don't agree with their system. I don't feel that my information is safe with their contractor as there have already been many, many issues with the system. People getting other people's certificate, database errors, login issues. All red flags for a very poor setup. How do you know the database is secure if the front end isn't secure?

I will continue to put my name and contact info in my models. If I lose my model or crash and someone finds it, they will be able to immediately identify me. If something bad happened I will compensate them. If the same thing happens with just an FAA number the person will have to involve police and waste their time. On top of that the FAA could be involved when the police inputs the number to search the database. If one day the FAA decides all inquiries now requires a report to be filed, you'll be reported to the FAA. No thanks...

BobK

Banned
I'll fly until the Feb deadline then I am done with this hobby, I already sold most of my stuff.

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
This could be a taste of what is to come for us... The FAA is locking down non hobby UAS. licenses, daylight restrictions, surrendering your UAS for FAA inspection or testing at any time...

http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/rulemaking/media/021515_sUAS_Summary.pdf

How long do you think it will be before some of these requirements and restrictions creep over to hobby UAS operation? Because eventually they will creep over disguised as "common sense" rules.

JohnRambozo

Posted a thousand or more times
I sent this email to the FAA UAS Registration Help 5 days ago. No response, whatsoever.

Jan 23, 2016
To: UAShelp

I have registered myself as a UAS operator and am concerned about lost or stolen numbers. Is there a system in place to report and reissue lost or stolen numbers?

What can be done if my number falls into the hands of a malicious person wishing to impersonate me and fly their drone irresponsibly or illegally?

Thank you.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
300,000 people register with FAA and 200m users on Windows 10.

Obviously the gene pool is in a steep decline. :)

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
300,000 people register with FAA and 200m users on Windows 10.

Obviously the gene pool is in a steep decline. :)

Well offer something "free" and watch the people flock to you.

Register my drone "free" for a limited time? SIGN ME UP!
Upgrade my computer "free" for a limited time? SIGN ME UP!
Free $5 chipotle gift card for signing up for a 25% APR credit card with an annual fee? SIGN ME UP!

Hey if you did all three in reverse order you could give all your information and new credit card number to the government while munching on a burrito and watching your computer melt down.

JohnRambozo

Well, here is their answer... Basically they're saying, No, we don't reissue numbers. Keep your certificate on hand to prove you the owner of the UAS you're flying. I don't know why some other form of ID isn't valid.

There was no verification of identity when registering and it would be easy to change the number.

I feel like they missed the point and just pasted the FAQ entry that was only somewhat related.

----
2016-01-30 01:32:28 PM EST - Ferguson, MichaelAdditional comments
Thank you for contacting FAA Help desk about registering your Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS).
The certificate of registration must be on your person while operating your UAS. If someone steals your drone they will not have the certificate proving it is theirs.

Q8. Will an operator be required to have proof of registration while operating the UAS? A. Yes. You will be required to have your FAA registration certificate in your possession when operating your unmanned aircraft.

Regarding your inquiry about a system for reporting/reissuing stolen/lost numbers, please contact a nearby FSDO for additional information. Contact information for FSDOs can be found here: http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/field_offices/fsdo/
U.S. Department of Transportation
Federal Aviation Administration
800 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20591

Ref:MSG1223504

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
Well, here is their answer... Basically they're saying, No, we don't reissue numbers. Keep your certificate on hand to prove you the owner of the UAS you're flying. I don't know why some other form of ID isn't valid.

There was no verification of identity when registering and it would be easy to change the number.

I feel like they missed the point and just pasted the FAQ entry that was only somewhat related.
*snip*

Likely the FAA does not want any loopholes. Registration with a 3rd party company with your name, address, phone number, email address, and credit card is what they are looking for....marketing information gold right there. With a threat of being charged with fraud, it should be one of the most accurate identity databases out there...and probably a big target. I really hope the back end is way more secure than the front...with certificates and information going out to the wrong people I would imagine it is only a matter of time.

To those that gave in or those that are thinking about giving in I urge anyone that is going to register to at the very least use an internet phone number and a pre paid debit card for the fee. Maybe consider one of those free email account too. Your name and living address isn't difficult to obtain now a days. A permanent email, credit card, and phone number is actually way more valuable.

Put your registration number inside the model and don't share it online. fold up your certificate and put it in the battery door on your transmitter...

To the rest of us, enjoy your anonymity as long as you have it. pretty soon everyone will be a registered drone offender. Publicly shamed, young families around you will move out, and people in the grocery store will stare at you...

JohnRambozo

Put your registration number inside the model and don't share it online. fold up your certificate and put it in the battery door on your transmitter...

I've seen some people putting their FA number in large font on their planes and posting pictures on facebook. It makes me very uneasy.