Help! $300 for a new trans

Mad_Mechanic

@buzzbomb - good suggestion, I will add the protocol to the spreadsheet today.

In the meantime know that out of the box, all Taranis transmitters are compatible with FrSky X/RX-series, D-series, V8-II series, L-series and S-series receivers.

FrSky recommends the X/RX series receivers as this series supports RSSI and telemetry.

There is a link to a full comparison spreadsheet of FrSky receivers in my signature. As a helpful tips, PWM channels are traditional servo ports, which might help you decide which receivers to buy I initially as you don't have to mess with S.BUS.

There is also the iRange multi-protocol module you can buy which will allow you to talk to almost everyone's receivers.

evranch

You won't regret the X9D+ SE, I love mine. I always believe when you are starting off in anything you should buy cheap, and when you upgrade to something for the long haul, you should spend your budget on the best you can afford. Transmitters last a long time, airplanes... maybe not.

I picked it for pretty much the same reasons you did, also I wanted the side analog controls and a few extra switches as I plan on experimenting with a gimbal mounted camera and want a way to control it without taking my hands off the sticks. Basically more room for expansion. And being able to charge its own battery rather than having to remove it and throw it on my charger is a nice bonus.

sundown57

Legendary member
Just to add one more log to the fire. I recently retired and a "friend" got me hooked on drones during the winter and now I even picked up my first foam airplane. still too cold up here to play with them outside but I can spend money inside. So I have been looking for a good, cheap controller that would run the plane i have and now the tiny trainer my friend has talked me into building. I found the flysky-i6x appealing because its 50 bucks with stock 10 channels and the antenna mods seem easy enough. But i also hear a lot about spektrum. so for cheap and newbie . spektrum, skyfly, or new friend ?

Mad_Mechanic

@sundown57 - Here are my initial questions/thoughts regarding Spektrum.

Do you have an interest in Bind-n-Fly models from Horizon Hobby? If so, then Spektrum is a very good radio to invest in. All the Horizon Hobby Bind-n-Fly models work with Spektrum.

As far as cost, I would not consider Spektrum to be cheap, but neither will any of the established brand names (like Futaba, Graupner, Hitec). This is where you have FlySky, FrSky, and Jumper.

Something you need to be honest with yourself on is how much you are willing to spend up front and how much you expect to grow in this hobby in the future. The i6x likely won't give you much more room to grow, but someone else can correct me if I'm wrong.

This is where this thread has been talking alot about the FrSky models like the QX7 and X9D.

The QX7 in it's simplest/cheapest factory configuration will run you just over $100 for the radio. Yes, you will have to buy a battery separately. For the money you get a 16 channel radio that (with certain transmitter modules and setups) can be expanded to 32 channels.

You sound like the type that is undaunted by tinkering, and the software on the QX7 is OpenTX, which is open source, has quite a learning curve but can do pretty much anything a name brand radio can do.

Furthermore, with an iRange multi-protocol transmitter module the QX7 (or any FrSky radio using this module) will allow you to use Spektrum receivers, so you could in theory still fly Horizon Hobby Bind-n-Fly models.

However, here is another question. Your "friend" that got you hooked on drones, what radio do they use? Do they like it? Is it within a price range you are willing pay? Reason being is that if you get the same radio or at least same brand of radio, you benefit from your friend helping you with programming and model setup as well as possible trainer cord 'buddy box' flying. This could be a big advantage.

Mad_Mechanic

@sundown57 - another question I forgot to ask, do you have any problems with buying used radio gear?

@Bricks pointed out in this thread that there are some good deals to be had on used radio gear, particularly over at the RC Groups forum. This might also help.

sundown57

Legendary member
the guy that got me into this is actually looking to upgrade his apparently it is outdated. as far as how much into this I plan to go that so hard to answer. as of now, the only flying i have ever done is a quadcopter in the house. altho i am working on building a couple different foam planes. but again i have not bought any motors, servos, controller etc. i really am at square one on learning this. guess im looking for best all around set up. it would be nice if i could find one controller that works with the drone and planes. i doubt i will ever get into enough to need a 2-300 dollar one . this is just a once in a while hobby in a park on a good day.

Last edited:

Mad_Mechanic

Most (not all) transmitters on the market will work for multirotors and planes. All FrSky Taranis models support Planes (fixed wings), Helicopters and multirotors (drones), but pretty much every computerized radio these days will do all three.

I will warn you and pretty much everyone will tell you that OpenTX has a fairly stout learning curve, but at the same time there is a wealth of documentation and walkthrough youtube videos. However, if the idea of having to learn OpenTX is overwhelming or daunting then you might want to look into something like a Spektrum.

That's not to say there won't be a learning curve with any computerized radio you buy.

For reference, looking at the Spektrum website, the cheapest Spektrum radio that clearly states that it supports multirotors is the DX6e, which has an MSRP of $199. This is a 6-channel radio. You can probably find one of these used for cheaper but I suspect you would outgrow it at some point.

In the ~$90-$100 range is where you find radios like the Jumper T8SG V2 (up to 12 channels) and the FrSky Taranis QX7 (16-32 channels).

sundown57

Legendary member
I'm not at all opposed to learning or tinkering, in fact, the most appealing part of this hobby to me is building them and learning to get them to work. flying them is more just proof I did it right so on to the next one lol. i think your right the FrSky Taranis QX7 would be the best one for me . im very glad to hear i can use it with the drones as well as the planes

Mad_Mechanic

If you don't want to spend $200-$300 I think it will be a good radio for you to start with. Loads of documentation available and eventually you can spend a little extra and upgrade the gimbals to hall effect gimbals. This is a very simple modification you can do and does not require any hacking or soldering.

Flite Test has a couple videos about the QX7, one is an initial setup video. When you get a new QX7 radio, it will not be pre-configured for transmitter Mode (like mode 1, 2, 3 or 4). The Flite Test video does a good job of explaining how to setup the radio for your preferred mode.

sundown57

Legendary member
I want to thank everyone for this thread. yes, it is a big help for the more advanced that want to upgrade but also a big help for guy like me just starting out. I know there are 100 of threads recommending controllers for beginners but this one lets me choose my preferences and price range. this thread convinced me to go with the FrSky Taranis QX7. saving me the time, effort and money of buying the first one I had in mind and then soon outgrowing it. It helped me see how important thinking ahead is rather then just what it is im trying to do now.

Timinatorg

So many posts as to what trans to buy. I made a few myself. I bought a Turnigy at the urging of a friend as a first trans, and once I figured it out, it was great. It cost me sixty bucks and I got to fly. No complaints.

Then I built a second plane and wanted a second receiver. I ordered the very same receiver that came with the trans. Not only was the new receiver twice as big, it had one antenna vs. the two on the original, the single antenna is half the length of the original two, and I can't get the receiver to bind to the trans.

So? It was a first transmitter and it got me in the air for really cheap. Cool. I'm flying with it later today. (hopefully)

Stuff has happened and I've got buy a used car, and I've got the money to do so. I am willing to take $300 out that money and buy a transmitter. I've learned I don't need nine channels. I really only need four, right? I'm not dropping landing gear or bombs or stuff. I just want to fly.

That's a new challenge for you transmitter aficionados. Three Hundred Dollars for the trans. Cheap ass receivers that work and are small with good antennas.

let us see what you've got! (Because I have no clue, and I need help.)
Hey buzzbomb,

I'm curious about your receiver issue. I have yet to see different receivers with the same model number. Are you sure they match exactly? And as far as binding, it matters if it's AFHDS or AFHDS 2A. In my i6 TX it can be switched in the system menu under rx setup, and it's stored for the currently selected model. If it's the 9X8C v2, it's not compatible with AFHDS TXs. Also I believe you can install a multi-protocol module in that TX.
I hope this helps.

joelspangler

I went with the Jumper t8sg (1st gen) as my first radio that didn't come with a RTF plane/quad. I have been super happy with it, and recently upgraded to the t8sg v2 plus (the one with the hall effect gimbles), and also love that. The Jumper t8sg models have the 4 in 1 module built in, so you can fly ANY protocol. T8SG runs Deviation, which is what I learned on, and like. If you're used to OpenTX, Jumper also makes the t12.

Seriously buy the ~120 radio, and use the remaining cash to buy a plane or quad (or motors, esc, flight controllers, etc to make your own).

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Hey buzzbomb,

I'm curious about your receiver issue. I have yet to see different receivers with the same model number. Are you sure they match exactly? And as far as binding, it matters if it's AFHDS or AFHDS 2A. In my i6 TX it can be switched in the system menu under rx setup, and it's stored for the currently selected model. If it's the 9X8C v2, it's not compatible with AFHDS TXs. Also I believe you can install a multi-protocol module in that TX.
I hope this helps.
You got me curious so I double checked. One is an IA8 the other a 9X8. I've got to go back through my emails and see what I actually ordered. I may have simply misread or been sent the wrong item.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Ironically, my chosen trans was out of stock everywhere except China. My time is short. My son goes to Basic Training in July. HobbyKing has the Taranis X9 Plus in stock in a U.S. warehouse. They also have the hall effect gimbals in stock at a U.S. warehouse. Guess what I ordered?

Added bonus, I don't have to look at the stupid carbon fiber stickers on the SE! Did I mention I got it all with the long range module for U.S. $226? Shipped in about a week for pretty much nothing? Yep.

Bricks

Master member
Welcome to Taranis.

:D

If you like tinkering you will like open transmitter I tried a X9D+ I screwed around about a month with it just could not get my head wrapped around the programing. Every video I watched would do the same thing only differently which kept screwing with my brain, finally sold it and stayed with my DX9.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
If you like tinkering you will like open transmitter I tried a X9D+ I screwed around about a month with it just could not get my head wrapped around the programing. Every video I watched would do the same thing only differently which kept screwing with my brain, finally sold it and stayed with my DX9.
Oh, I suspect you'll see a new thread, loaded with frustrated posts and exclamation points, very soon after its arrival. :p That's OK. I've got a few of those already! :cool:

Kendalf

If you like tinkering you will like open transmitter .
Speaking of tinkering, sometimes I like to tinker too much! I received the Taranis QX7 I recently ordered. It came with a strap and a balance bar. I took a quick glance at the balance bar and thought, "Okay, I just need to screw it in place of the current strap post. Should be easy enough." The preinstalled post would not unscrew by itself, so I thought there would be some sort of nut or screw to release it from beneath. I searched for some instructions without any luck and decided to open up the transmitter, as I wanted to adjust the tension of the throttle anyway. I located the nut holding the post down, but it was blocked by a wire ribbon, and I couldn't fit the necessary socket through the ribbon to reach the nut. I ended up removing the PCB for the antenna and the speaker and then was able to reach the nut to unscrew it.

"Man, why has no one mentioned that a simple default accessory like this would be so hard to attach?!" And then I took another look at the balance bar and realized that it simple attaches to the existing post with a single Allen screw....

The nut takes a 7mm socket in case you were wondering.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Speaking of tinkering, sometimes I like to tinker too much! I received the Taranis QX7 I recently ordered. It came with a strap and a balance bar. I took a quick glance at the balance bar and thought, "Okay, I just need to screw it in place of the current strap post. Should be easy enough." The preinstalled post would not unscrew by itself, so I thought there would be some sort of nut or screw to release it from beneath. I searched for some instructions without any luck and decided to open up the transmitter, as I wanted to adjust the tension of the throttle anyway. I located the nut holding the post down, but it was blocked by a wire ribbon, and I couldn't fit the necessary socket through the ribbon to reach the nut. I ended up removing the PCB for the antenna and the speaker and then was able to reach the nut to unscrew it.

"Man, why has no one mentioned that a simple default accessory like this would be so hard to attach?!" And then I took another look at the balance bar and realized that it simple attaches to the existing post with a single Allen screw....

The nut takes a 7mm socket in case you were wondering.
You Sir, are Me! You poor, poor soul. :ROFLMAO: