3536 1200Kv motor, 3blade prop?

leaded50

Legendary member
i have a 3536 motor with suggested Prop: 10 x 6 at 3s with approx 1.5 times thrust at the weight of plane. If using a 3 blade prop, same size, or go down a little?
What about if using 4s, also down?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
If using a 3 blade prop, same size, or go down a little?
Yes, a 3 blade prop should be a bit smaller.
What about if using 4s, also down?
Yes, if you go from 3S to 4S, use a smaller prop.

I find a watt meter to be a very useful tool for sizing props. In your case, you could test your known 3S 2 blade setup. Then compare the results to a proposed 3 blade prop. In addition to the watt meter, also check the motor temp. Run the motor for 5-10 seconds, stop the motor, grab it to check the temperature. Warm is OK, if you can’t hold it for 30 seconds or so, that’s too hot. If it passes the 10 second test, try 30 seconds, then 60 seconds. If the motor remans cool, try a larger prop, if it gets too hot try a smaller prop.

Last edited:

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Sometimes, in hot weather, 95F+, I need to use a smaller prop to keep my motor for over heating. Always a good practice to test the motor temp after a flight.

leaded50

Legendary member
ive made a warbird, approx max 1000g complete with battery, electric retracts, gyro, eg.. where this motor is to be used, and plan use a 3 blade prop as the original... that was reason to ask. Thanks.