36" Northern Pike - 3D Printed Cuda Clone (It Flies & STL's are Posted!)

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Full throttle, low, and inverted bit me. :D

20180908_093325-1612x1209.jpg

It's all good though this airframe was approaching 20 flights. That puts it at less than a dollar per flight. Just need to decide on the next color to swap the guts into.

JGplanes

Ugh...that's not good. You should do the new one in orange (and red, black, silver, and yellow!) :p

I just ordered a new 4S ESC and batt for mine. Other than that, it's fully assembled. Should be here in a couple days.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Now that looks like a cool crash!! :cool:

How far did the pieces fly? Did you manage to find all of it?

Stuff went a long way lol. Here's a pic of the battery. The plane hit the runway about 20 feet further behind the garbage can. Fortunately found everything.

41398352_418173275375683_4014428562030329856_n.jpg

Ugh...that's not good. You should do the new one in orange (and red, black, silver, and yellow!) :p

I just ordered a new 4S ESC and batt for mine. Other than that, it's fully assembled. Should be here in a couple days.

I am considering Orange. Dunno about all the other colors though lol

Stuff went a long way lol. Here's a pic of the battery. The plane hit the runway about 20 feet further behind the garbage can. Fortunately found everything.

View attachment 114442

Not sure if you saw but you got a hackaday artical! https://hackaday.com/2018/09/11/awe...ed-rc-plane-is-full-of-design-considerations/
As for my plane a hurricane is coming and I broke my .3 nossel so no printing for at least a week or two.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor

Well, green is out. You'd never find all the bits at that field. :p

Thanks for this LocalFiend. Even when you destroy one, we benefit from your experience.

Don't suppose there was video of you flying full throttle, low and inverted is there?? :)

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Well, green is out. You'd never find all the bits at that field. :p

Thanks for this LocalFiend. Even when you destroy one, we benefit from your experience.

Don't suppose there was video of you flying full throttle, low and inverted is there?? :)

Not the best video sadly. Hatcam wasn't aimed properly, but there's enough there to laugh. Flies so nicely even upside down that you can easily forget you're inverted lol. I pushed the stick the wrong way to pull up and then couldn't stop laughing.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Totally explains the crash...

The airframe protected the electronics pretty well for the speed and circumstances.

pazz

gday mate..

i been reading bout your model plane the pike wing version..i never built a plane before and in keen to building the pike wing..
my questions is

what are the bill of materials

do you have a wiring diagram to connect it all up..

regards pazza

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
gday mate..

i been reading bout your model plane the pike wing version..i never built a plane before and in keen to building the pike wing..
my questions is

what are the bill of materials

do you have a wiring diagram to connect it all up..

regards pazza

Have you flown an RC plane before? This thing is very gentle for as fast as it can go, but it's not a beginner plane. No self leveling, and the speeds it can fly don't give a beginner anytime to react.

All the required and recommended materials are listed on the thingiverse link.

RC plane electronics are simple enough that a wiring diagram might just confuse things. If you're not familiar with how the work, check out flitetest's beginner series on youtube. They have several episodes that deal with radio, servo, and power system setup. Very good for getting a handle on the basics and safety concerns.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6IuSFWz4ktvupu_gxw1vn-sjBGOkJFHV

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Think I've pretty much got the 27" version figured out. Still need to finish printing the fuse, stabs, and elevons, but everything is going very well with this new 0.3mm nozzle.

20181003_170257-1612x1209.jpg

Gonna do the accent bits and control surfaces in red and green. Once I get everything printed and make sure it all works, I'll be posting stl's, factory files, and g-codes.

Think I've pretty much got the 27" version figured out. Still need to finish printing the fuse, stabs, and elevons, but everything is going very well with this new 0.3mm nozzle.

View attachment 115912

Gonna do the accent bits and control surfaces in red and green. Once I get everything printed and make sure it all works, I'll be posting stl's, factory files, and g-codes.
Looking good! I'm only getting back to printing this weekend. Are there any changes from the beta to the final?

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Got all the parts printed, nothing glued yet. Hope to get it all put together tonight. Planning on giving thin CA and tape a try for fuse assembly.

I have an Emax red bottom rs2205 2300kv I'll be trying out. I'm hoping it'l balance out with a 1300mah 3s battery.

I'm estimating AUW with the above motor and battery to be right around 500 grams. That means I'll have a 2 to 1 thrust ratio with the rs2205. I'll probably also give it a go with a standard f-pack (2204 2300kv) that should give 700g of thrust instead of 1000.

20181005_182649-1612x1209.jpg

JGplanes

Hey, Dale. Not sure if it's possible, but would there be any way to get the entire model pre-slicing? I would like to print it out in a smaller scale, for a desk model. :)

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Hey, Dale. Not sure if it's possible, but would there be any way to get the entire model pre-slicing? I would like to print it out in a smaller scale, for a desk model. :)

So all one piece without the internal bits? I think I can do that. I'll just have to cobble together a few CAD files.

JGplanes

So... mine is finally ready for it's maiden. Just waiting on weather. I'll post a make on Thingiverse soon, and hopefully a video shortly after maiden. Experience with the FT Goblin has made me more confident with the pusher plank now.

One quick question: I think my motor is running clockwise when viewed from the rear. Is that ok? I really don't want to resolder the esc, but I don't want any adverse torque effects either.

JG