36" Northern Pike - 3D Printed Cuda Clone (It Flies & STL's are Posted!)

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
okay @localfiend , Ive a question, would it be possible to provide a combined fuselage 1-6 into 1 stl and wing parts 4-7 LR also ??

Sorry, wouldn't be printable. A lot of the pieces, mostly on the fuse, are broken up to add strength and horizontal spars. If they were all combined, the prints would fail and you'd end up with a big mess.

Depending on what you're trying to do, you can combine stl's in meshmixer or similar programs.

dingo007

Sorry, wouldn't be printable. A lot of the pieces, mostly on the fuse, are broken up to add strength and horizontal spars. If they were all combined, the prints would fail and you'd end up with a big mess.

Depending on what you're trying to do, you can combine stl's in meshmixer or similar programs.

Basically trying to lesson the amount of CA glue and make a more streamlined fuselage for some landing gear testing.

1576841058210.png

sam2b

Wish I still had the uncorrupted CAD files for this thing.
Really? I figure you would have at least one incremental backup run daily, and keep 3 months worth. A 6TB hard drive is less than $100, and worth having for times like this when such precious work is lost. A simple free solution I use is Cobian Backup (Windows). Start backing up today! :) We need you!

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Really? I figure you would have at least one incremental backup run daily, and keep 3 months worth. A 6TB hard drive is less than $100, and worth having for times like this when such precious work is lost. A simple free solution I use is Cobian Backup (Windows). Start backing up today! :) We need you!

Unfortunately my troubles had nothing to do with anything on my end. Fusion360 was rather unstable at the time, and didn't have a fully functioning local backup system. My incremental backups for the last 25 hours of work were all corrupted on save. So it's not gone, but I don't have the time to redo so much stuff.

Keno

Thanks man, I appreciate it a lot.

It's like learning any new tool, there can be a bit of a curve. At least with the Prusa, you can be pretty certain that anything going wrong is your own settings or filament and not a problem with the machine.

If you're going to be printing a lot of planes, or more complicated parts, look hard at Simplify3d. It's a much more powerful tool, and it's also easier to share settings between people. The factory files I included in the downloads section on thingiverse make it easy to tweak stuff on batches of parts so you can get the best quality prints.

Looks like it warped on you a bit. Fortunately, that's a pretty small gap and you should be easily able to close it with just a little pressure when it comes time to glue things up. Consider using the helper discs (stl included in the downloads section) to help prevent warping on those really long and skinny parts.

All the left and right side pieces are identical, they're just mirrored parts.

Been looking for a small gap filler and found the Power Grab mixed with Acrylic paint for color does a nice job. Works great on plastic as an adhesive. Don't use to much as it adds weight.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Been looking for a small gap filler and found the Power Grab mixed with Acrylic paint for color does a nice job. Works great on plastic as an adhesive. Don't use to much as it adds weight.

Somebody somewhere mentioned a 3D pen ??

d4mer

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone tried to print the entire front fuselage in one go? I mean stacking all the fus sections and printing them so you don't have to glue'em

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Hi Everyone,

Has anyone tried to print the entire front fuselage in one go? I mean stacking all the fus sections and printing them so you don't have to glue'em

Your print would fail, as there would be a bunch of unsupported internal parts. Without modifying those spars on your own, you'll be better off printing the sections as is.

sam2b

Just to share a little excitement, :) Banggood sent me 10mm carbon fiber tubes (instead of 8mm) after waiting 4 weeks. I have all my parts printed, so I just ordered from Amazon and got 8mm rods in 2 days. Now my wing is finally together! :D Regarding my two 10mm rods, well, I might as well print another plane that is 25% bigger with a 0.5mm nozzle. The math works out, and the parts fit my print bed, but does anyone have input on the 25% increase? Naturally I'll use a bit bigger motor & prop.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
I'm curious how/why the print would fail, and how strength would be lost?

Like I said, unsupported spars. There are a lot of places where you'd end up printing stuff completely unsupported. If you squirt plastic out into the open air, it isn't going to end well.

Just to share a little excitement, :) Banggood sent me 10mm carbon fiber tubes (instead of 8mm) after waiting 4 weeks. I have all my parts printed, so I just ordered from Amazon and got 8mm rods in 2 days. Now my wing is finally together! :D Regarding my two 10mm rods, well, I might as well print another plane that is 25% bigger with a 0.5mm nozzle. The math works out, and the parts fit my print bed, but does anyone have input on the 25% increase? Naturally I'll use a bit bigger motor & prop.

Shouldn't be a problem increasing the size. In fact, for such a small adjustment, you could probably keep your .4mm nozzle, and simply increase the print width to .5mm. I'd probably also bump up the layer height to .3mm.

whackflyer

Master member
Hey @localfiend any idea why the supports inside parts aren't printing for me? Any obvious settings that could be wrong? I'm using cura. It's printing the outside shell and that's all... does anyone have ideas?

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Hey @localfiend any idea why the supports inside parts aren't printing for me? Any obvious settings that could be wrong? I'm using cura. It's printing the outside shell and that's all... does anyone have ideas?

Read all the instructions in the description on the thingiverse page, there are useful things to know in there. The cura profile you need to start with is in the thingiverse downloads page.

whackflyer

Master member
I have read all that, but will look over it again. I keep getting an error message when I try to import your Cura profile. I'll attach a pic. If it helps any I'm running an Ender 3 on Cura 4.4.1. Ignore the "thinwall plane" profile. I've taken your settings you posted on the thingiverse page and for the most part copied them straight over to Cura. Is your Cura profile set to .25 layer height? I think that may be part of the problem. If you could set it to .2 and post the file here I'd be greatful!
Screenshot (58).png