36" Northern Pike - 3D Printed Cuda Clone (It Flies & STL's are Posted!)

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Awesome! I do believe this will be the first 3d printed plane I'm going to try building :D

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
Very cool Dale! Great job. That thing looks great and appears to fly very well. Thanks for sharing.

jaredstrees

Oh that is sweet. Going to do a couple test prints tonight, if the wife doesn't have other chores for me!

Hi, I saw your comment on thingiverse! I would love to "beta print"? Your 23 inch model and flight test with the official ft f pack. I would have to get some better filliment and it might take quite a while to get everything printed but I would be happy to do it. I'll make sure I can get everything and will post here again if I can. In the meantime can you send me the CAD? I might slice some things to get an idea of what I got my self into. Thanks

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Hi, I saw your comment on thingiverse! I would love to "beta print"? Your 23 inch model and flight test with the official ft f pack. I would have to get some better filliment and it might take quite a while to get everything printed but I would be happy to do it. I'll make sure I can get everything and will post here again if I can. In the meantime can you send me the CAD? I might slice some things to get an idea of what I got my self into. Thanks

I can do that. I'll see about getting you the files to test sometime this evening.

I have some Esun PLA+ and 3DSolutech that should work. I'm curious on what brand and type of filament you used?

I used 3DSolutech clear for the one in the flight video. Good clean stuff, and quite strong even though it's cheap. I think the black parts were hatchbox, but those pieces don't really care what they're printed out of.

I can do that. I'll see about getting you the files to test sometime this evening.

I used 3DSolutech clear for the one in the flight video. Good clean stuff, and quite strong even though it's cheap. I think the black parts were hatchbox, but those pieces don't really care what they're printed out of.

Great! Will the smaller power pack f servos still work? Awesome craftsmanship in the cad pictures I saw on this thread you could hang the internal spars as modern art on the wall it looks so good.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Great! Will the smaller power pack f servos still work? Awesome craftsmanship in the cad pictures I saw on this thread you could hang the internal spars as modern art on the wall it looks so good.

I think so? I resized the holes so they would work with 5 gram servos. Standard HXT500 pattern, so I think the mini power pack servos should work. If they don't I can always change the hole size.

kilroy07

Legendary member
If you want a Beta tester for a .3 nozzle let me know! I have a second machine I need to finish putting together that I might put a .4 into, but currently I'm running a .3

pma_

Any particular reason why pushrods are not perpendicular to hinge line?
This is quite frequent problem in chineese designs.

kilroy07

Legendary member
I am finding that in cura the internal supports are not sowing up in the preview.
That's a common issue with Cura, and one of the reasons I went with Simplify3D. (Especially when I started looking at the 3DLabPrint planes.)

Not saying you need to buy a $100 software package to print a "Free" plane*, if you scour the internet there were some work arounds with specific Cura versions. But after an upgrade where Cura wiped out my entire setup library that was the last straw.

Happy to say I haven't looked back. I can honestly say I saw a marked improvement in my prints after switching.

Attached is a screenshot of the Lwing section 2 in Simplify (I'm working on the build files now and will start printing this weekend.) Lwing.jpg

*We all ought to show LocalFiend some love for what he's given the community!

That's a common issue with Cura, and one of the reasons I went with Simplify3D. (Especially when I started looking at the 3DLabPrint planes.)

Not saying you need to buy a $100 software package to print a "Free" plane*, if you scour the internet there were some work arounds with specific Cura versions. But after an upgrade where Cura wiped out my entire setup library that was the last straw.

Happy to say I haven't looked back. I can honestly say I saw a marked improvement in my prints after switching.

Attached is a screenshot of the Lwing section 2 in Simplify (I'm working on the build files now and will start printing this weekend.) View attachment 112109

*We all ought to show LocalFiend some love for what he's given the community!

Thanks for the tip. Right now 150 dollars is a bit much for me to spend. Would it be possible if you could point me to some of the tricks. I'm using a cr10s for the record btw.