36" Northern Pike - 3D Printed Cuda Clone (It Flies & STL's are Posted!)

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
@localfiend could i get the STL files for the smaller one that was designed for a motor this size? Would it still be really fast? What am i looking at for weight of print and print time?

Here are the STL's for the smaller version.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3694993

No g-codes yet, as I have been too busy to touch anything RC for 6 months. Maybe, maybe I'll try and print another smaller one in time for FF and be able to share g-codes for it. For now, just use similar settings as for a 0.4 nozzle with a touch more retraction.

Hi, everyone.
I am trying to slice the wing without infill. But I don't have spars inside the wing. I use CURA is a slicer.
I set infill density to zero.
wall line count to one.
and no top and bottom layers.
Layer height is 0.2

please suggest me.

View attachment 133765

There is a CURA profile that's in the files section of the thingiverse page. Download and use that, and it should fix spars not showing up, and be a good place to start for tuning.

beebrain

Here are the STL's for the smaller version.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3694993

No g-codes yet, as I have been too busy to touch anything RC for 6 months. Maybe, maybe I'll try and print another smaller one in time for FF and be able to share g-codes for it. For now, just use similar settings as for a 0.4 nozzle with a touch more retraction.

There is a CURA profile that's in the files section of the thingiverse page. Download and use that, and it should fix spars not showing up, and be a good place to start for tuning.

Thank you, I found that profile.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Do you want to see my Maiden?

Saw this from the thingiverse link. Cool to know it works on 3s. Looks like you guys were having fun.

Getting ready for Flite Fest:

FOQaWBz.jpg

bracesport

Legendary member
sounds like Canterbury? A bit far to come see! :D Looking forward to the video! I’m printing a 1.5m power glider I hope it will be strong enough!

I must try printing some PETG!

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Saw this from the thingiverse link. Cool to know it works on 3s. Looks like you guys were having fun.

Getting ready for Flite Fest:

Awesome Pikes. Very cool to get a close look. :cool: I heard you say that you could print one in one day. How much babysitting does that require?

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Awesome Pikes. Very cool to get a close look. :cool: I heard you say that you could print one in one day. How much babysitting does that require?

Basically none. I have the parts grouped up so most batches take around 10 hours to print. That lets me start it in the evening, then I remove the parts in the morning, and start another batch before heading to work. Some of the smaller pieces have lower batch times, but that's really not a big deal. I don't really watch my printers anymore, just let them run. The first couple weeks after you get one though, it's hard to not just stop and watch them work lol.

However, I can print one per day as I have 3 printers. If you only have one, then it'l take 3 days.

chris398mx

Master member
This plane looks awesome.............but, A) how expensive of a 3D printer would it take to get a quality print and B) what would be the chances of a complete noob getting all the settings correct to even get it to print without all the challenges other people are having?
I have been thinking about getting a printer, but now I am a bit overwhelmed with all the unknowns of the how to get started with the printer settings and so forth. it looks like a huge learning curve. i have read this whole thread and don't even know what all the parameters mentioned even mean let alone how to go about setting them. Any advice for a complete beginner with the 3D printing?

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
This plane looks awesome.............but, A) how expensive of a 3D printer would it take to get a quality print and B) what would be the chances of a complete noob getting all the settings correct to even get it to print without all the challenges other people are having?
I have been thinking about getting a printer, but now I am a bit overwhelmed with all the unknowns of the how to get started with the printer settings and so forth. it looks like a huge learning curve. i have read this whole thread and don't even know what all the parameters mentioned even mean let alone how to go about setting them. Any advice for a complete beginner with the 3D printing?

If you want to be able to print planes with the least amount of headache possible, buy a genuine Prusa. Think they're like $800.

If you want to print planes on a budget, I wouldn't go with anything cheaper than a creality ender 3. Think stock they're around $200. That will work, but could really use some upgrades. (Direct drive extruder being the big one). A real e3dv6 would be my recommendation for an upgrade for any cheaper printers. Tuning could be annoying based on a lot of different factors.

Cheaper options than an ender 3 are out there, but be prepared to do a ton of learning.

as another thought, can this be upscaled 100% to say a 72" flying wing... with larger engine, EDF, or turbine

You could print this thing on a larger format printer (400x400x400), and double the size by using a .8mm nozzle. That would get you a 72" wingspan with no work. Of course, you'd still have to use a prop, unless you wanted to redesign a new center section sized to fit an EDF.

dingo007

If you want to be able to print planes with the least amount of headache possible, buy a genuine Prusa. Think they're like $800.

If you want to print planes on a budget, I wouldn't go with anything cheaper than a creality ender 3. Think stock they're around $200. That will work, but could really use some upgrades. (Direct drive extruder being the big one). A real e3dv6 would be my recommendation for an upgrade for any cheaper printers. Tuning could be annoying based on a lot of different factors.

Cheaper options than an ender 3 are out there, but be prepared to do a ton of learning.

You could print this thing on a larger format printer (400x400x400), and double the size by using a .8mm nozzle. That would get you a 72" wingspan with no work. Of course, you'd still have to use a prop, unless you wanted to redesign a new center section sized to fit an EDF.

What Prusa printer are you using ??? Can I get you to redesign the Center for EDF ? can you add landing gear... Ill pay for the design changes.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
What Prusa printer are you using ??? Can I get you to redesign the Center for EDF ? can you add landing gear... Ill pay for the design changes.

I've got 3 prusas. All i3 Mk2s models. Don't think you can buy them anymore, but the new MK3 will print just as well with some added nice features.

Sorry, don't have time right now to take on any new projects. All my spare time is focused on getting the Flapjack finished up. Resizing the plane, adding gear, and then redoing the whole center to make a giant EDF work (might take two at such a huge wingspan), would probably be something like 100 CAD hours, and would require a bunch of print testing. Nobody wants to pay for that many hours for a toy. :)

dingo007

I've got 3 prusas. All i3 Mk2s models. Don't think you can buy them anymore, but the new MK3 will print just as well with some added nice features.

Sorry, don't have time right now to take on any new projects. All my spare time is focused on getting the Flapjack finished up. Resizing the plane, adding gear, and then redoing the whole center to make a giant EDF work (might take two at such a huge wingspan), would probably be something like 100 CAD hours, and would require a bunch of print testing. Nobody wants to pay for that many hours for a toy. :)

100 hours isnt so expensive depending on ones rate :) Ive seen some of these large scale rc planes sell from 4-8K USD. ill work on the printing at 72" and see if i can get it fly with a prop, then consider the changes required for EDF, probably need to be sizeable, but at 72" im going to need a catapult or other just top get it in the air. See if the local printing shop here can handle it, or ill buy a printer, though the prusa printers that ares out now dont come close to 400x400x400 or did i miss one.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
100 hours isnt so expensive depending on ones rate :) Ive seen some of these large scale rc planes sell from 4-8K USD. ill work on the printing at 72" and see if i can get it fly with a prop, then consider the changes required for EDF, probably need to be sizeable, but at 72" im going to need a catapult or other just top get it in the air. See if the local printing shop here can handle it, or ill buy a printer, though the prusa printers that ares out now dont come close to 400x400x400 or did i miss one.

Yeah, rate is always the problem. I'd have to work less paid hours at my real job in order to have time to take on another project. $30 per hour would be the absolute lowest I could go, and that gets expensive quick.

I've got one other printer, a Creality CR-10 S4. It has a 400x400x400 build area, and does good enough quality to handle planes. It's just in a few pieces at the moment. I cooked the aftermarket auto bed level sensor by printing giant polycarbonate props, and haven't had time to install the new upgraded replacement.

OliverW

Legendary member

You better bring a flapjack to huckfest!