36" Northern Pike - 3D Printed Cuda Clone (It Flies & STL's are Posted!)

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
I had the same issue on my X wing and did basically the same launch. I don't think temp has anything to do with it, just a bizzerk esc with a scorn female mind. :)

Nice maiden though, love the launch, What motors and props you running on it, cruises really nice.

Emax RS 2306 2400kv, Luminier Blheli_32 45A ESC, and 6045 HQ props. I used about 1450 mah out of a 2200mah 4s pack in 6 minutes of flight.

Had really good luck with these motors in the past, they're very smooth.

Never had an ESC behave like this unless it was damaged, or melting. A little bit annoying lol.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
This is a pretty easy fix. 15 minutes with a box cutter and a pair of pliers and I was able to remove all the damaged parts. The nose that slots over the wing is heavier, but it certainly makes replacing parts, and assembly easier. That's one of the things I didn't like about the Pike. If you smashed up the nose as far as the center section, repair was way harder.

Carnage:

75220761_565012127406985_801718438220267520_n.jpg

thumbnail_20191126_144750.jpg

thumbnail_20191126_144755.jpg

Gonna clean up the leftover CA bits with some debonder and a wire brush, then start the reassembly.

thumbnail_20191126_150654.jpg

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
So yeah.... It sinks down to the tail lol. Floats aren't big enough for the water. I'm working on a couple different ways to solve that problem and stay as light as possible. However, it does work amazingly well on the ground. This thing would be really easy to fly off the grass, just no room at my house. It might snow tomorrow. If we get more than an inch, I'm gonna have to go fly it as is.

thumbnail_20191129_122311.jpg

dingo007

not that their too "small" floats need to have a large diameter..... wider at the base i would say like a row boat...

savisfly

Hey,

Thanks for the free plans and amazing design!

Since I did not have a slicer like simplify3D and my printer (flashforge guider II) would not accept .gcode files, I decided to experiment a bit and try to print with a 5% hexagon infill. The aircraft alone without the electronics weighed in at 1kg. With all electronics (14.8v 5Ah battery!!) installed and all the glue, it weighed in at 1.6kg.

I took it out for its maiden few days ago but it was just too heavy to hand launch and ended up damaging the nose in process. Took it back, and tried to add a landing gear and another motor (which made it look very similar to the aircraft you are working on).

The new aircraft weighed in at 2.1kgs!!! :O but it flew well and really fast for the minute that it flew. Had radio loss mid flight and ended up nose diving into the ground.

Would be happy to share the STL's for the wing motor mounts and landing gear attachment if anyone is interested! Once again, thanks for the great work @localfiend !
20191202_160124_HDR.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2019-12-02 at 11.09.10 AM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2019-12-02 at 11.09.12 AM.jpeg
AB1E9EC4-A1A5-4A33-A62B-6CF85B654480.jpg
B2050F64-64C9-4DBB-A3ED-3742564AB1E8.jpg

dingo007

Hey,

Since I did not have a slicer like simplify3D and my printer (flashforge guider II) would not accept .gcode files, I decided to experiment a bit and try to print with a 5% hexagon infill. The aircraft alone without the electronics weighed in at 1kg. With all electronics (14.8v 5Ah battery!!) installed and all the glue, it weighed in at 1.6kg.

I took it out for its maiden few days ago but it was just too heavy to hand launch and ended up damaging the nose in process. Took it back, and tried to add a landing gear and another motor (which made it look very similar to the aircraft you are working on).

The new aircraft weighed in at 2.1kgs!!! :O but it flew well and really fast for the minute that it flew. Had radio loss mid flight and ended up nose diving into the ground.

Would be happy to share the STL's for the wing motor mounts and landing gear attachment if anyone is interested! Once again, thanks for the great work @localfiend ! View attachment 149972 View attachment 149973 View attachment 149974 View attachment 149975 View attachment 149976
wait... im confused... you made a Northern Pike out of foam ??? or just the nose pieces?

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Hey,

Would be happy to share the STL's for the wing motor mounts and landing gear attachment if anyone is interested! Once again, thanks for the great work @localfiend !

Very cool man. I'm amazed you got it to fly at all at over double the called for weight! Love the mods.

If you ever decide to reprint, it looks like your printer can be made to work with cura, so you should be able to slice it with internal structure intact using the supplied cura profile as a baseline.

bmizes

I'm hoping you can help. I use Prusaslicer 2.1 as my slicer since Cura crashes on my laptop (it doesn't like my graphics chip) and I didn't want to spend $150 on Simplify3D. I've printed out the fuselage pieces and they are mostly fine fine, although now that I have loaded your gcode into Repetier, I can see that a bit of structure is missing. I went to slice two of the wing pieces and could see right away in the sliced preview that the internal structure is completely missing and therefore the tube for the spar is just hanging there attached to nothing. Any idea in general terms how I might rectify this short of purchasing Simplify3D? Prusaslicer 2.1 has worked perfectly for me for everything else I've ever printed but clearly it's not doing the job here. I'm printing on a CR-10 Mini. Thanks.

Attachments

• leftwing_sections_1and2.jpg
    leftwing_sections_1and2.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
I'm hoping you can help. I use Prusaslicer 2.1 as my slicer since Cura crashes on my laptop (it doesn't like my graphics chip) and I didn't want to spend $150 on Simplify3D. I've printed out the fuselage pieces and they are mostly fine fine, although now that I have loaded your gcode into Repetier, I can see that a bit of structure is missing. I went to slice two of the wing pieces and could see right away in the sliced preview that the internal structure is completely missing and therefore the tube for the spar is just hanging there attached to nothing. Any idea in general terms how I might rectify this short of purchasing Simplify3D? Prusaslicer 2.1 has worked perfectly for me for everything else I've ever printed but clearly it's not doing the job here. I'm printing on a CR-10 Mini. Thanks.

Prusaslicer, or Slic3r will not work for this type of design, the spars will not show up. You need simplify3d or cura.

Maybe try messing with graphics drivers, or using a different version of Cura? Got another computer you can stick cura on?

bmizes

Prusaslicer, or Slic3r will not work for this type of design, the spars will not show up. You need simplify3d or cura.

Maybe try messing with graphics drivers, or using a different version of Cura? Got another computer you can stick cura on?

bmizes

I contacted Cura previously and they confirmed that none of the current Cura versions will work with my graphics chip. Unfortunately, no other computers to try either. Buying a new computer just to use Cura doesn't seem cost effective and I hate to buy Simplify3D just to slice this one set of prints. I may try taking a look at the gcode files you supplied and add the necessary modifications to trigger my stored bed leveling code and anything else I might need such that the files work with my printer. A challenge for sure.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
I contacted Cura previously and they confirmed that none of the current Cura versions will work with my graphics chip. Unfortunately, no other computers to try either. Buying a new computer just to use Cura doesn't seem cost effective and I hate to buy Simplify3D just to slice this one set of prints. I may try taking a look at the gcode files you supplied and add the necessary modifications to trigger my stored bed leveling code and anything else I might need such that the files work with my printer. A challenge for sure.

Yeah, if you're not planning to do a lot of complex prints, simplify3d might not be worth it. It is so nice for the more complex stuff, or batch prints etc... Adding your custom start code to my files shouldn't be hard, basically just copy and paste. Should be lots of info out there on how to do it.