39" Messerschmitt Bf 109 Swappable - Build Thread

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
However in the end it was a fantastic looking plane, a bit of nosweight was needed (40grams) but it flew nicely. I do have one question, I need quite a bit of uptrim to keep the plane level, the cg is on point and the motor tilted slightly downward as the plan states. Any idea why that might be?

Looks good man. As for trim, it's possible you have too much down thrust. Maybe back that off and give it another shot. Hard to give an exact amount needed as it will vary based on your motor and actual cruising speed.

You could also possibly back the CG off a bit. Have you flown it inverted to see how it behaves with everything set up as it is? I like to balance my planes so they need minimal down elevator when flying upside down.

Wingeddrac0

Looks good man. As for trim, it's possible you have too much down thrust. Maybe back that off and give it another shot. Hard to give an exact amount needed as it will vary based on your motor and actual cruising speed.

You could also possibly back the CG off a bit. Have you flown it inverted to see how it behaves with everything set up as it is? I like to balance my planes so they need minimal down elevator when flying upside down.

Thanks for you response. I did add two washers to the motor mount to give it a bit more uptrust, which didn't really do alot.
After asking around I found the cultprit, it seems I didn't really glue the horizontal stabilizer properly, eh, horizontal :rolleyes:. With all the uptrim the elevator is actually parallel with the main wings so the odd behaviour was my fault. The plane does fly great though, thank you for all your work on the plans!

Finished result!
IMG_20181114_161234454.jpg

CrosswindJones

O.K., Here's my wack at this design. No paint yet. Flying it ugly.

Had a go with some foam curving on the nose which turned out quite well.
There are a few other modifications as well.
Motor is a Suppo 2212-13 swinging a 9-6 prop.

Many thanks to Localfiend or this great airplane.

Now I have to build one from water resistant foam and go hunting for those Tower Hobbies P51's...:p

Dreamwalker, thanks for posting your pictures!

Did you cover the stock fuselage with a 2nd curved shell layer? At least that is what it almost looks like in the picture?

A general question; I have the wing and fuse ready to assemble, the slot fit looks good. How have you all attached your wing? 1) Just hot glue, 2) rubber bands and skewers? Both? I was searching through FT plans looking for examples but most of the FT planes use a "wing slot" vs. just bottom fitting it.

Thanks again for the great plans~!

Last edited: