3D Aeroventures Plane

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone 3D printed one of 3D Aeroventures Micro Sport Cam planes ? You can buy the files from 3D Aeroventures. The following is the link for the plane. I do not have a connection with 3D Aeroventures. I am thinking about trying to print this plane out. Looking for opinions. ;)

ColoFlyer

I have not printed that one, but would be interested to know if anyone else has.

But I did download the FREE J-3 Cub from 3DLabPrint. It was so easy to 3D print and assemble. Also, it is not really big so it only took me a few days on the Ender 3V2 to print all the parts using ESUN EPLA-LW filament.
Also did I mention it is free.
https://3dlabprint.com/shop/piperj3cub/

Also there is an assembly video done by Troy McMillan

If you have not printed the J-3 Cub, This is a excellent plane to get started printing with LW-PLA.

Attachments

• 20221127_144704.jpg
    20221127_144704.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221127_144714.jpg
    20221127_144714.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221127_144725.jpg
    20221127_144725.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0

alan0043

I have not printed that one, but would be interested to know if anyone else has.

But I did download the FREE J-3 Cub from 3DLabPrint. It was so easy to 3D print and assemble. Also, it is not really big so it only took me a few days on the Ender 3V2 to print all the parts using ESUN EPLA-LW filament.
Also did I mention it is free.
https://3dlabprint.com/shop/piperj3cub/

Also there is an assembly video done by Troy McMillan

If you have not printed the J-3 Cub, This is a excellent plane to get started printing with LW-PLA.

Hi ColoFlyer,

Thank you for posting. Looks like I just might have a 2nd plane to print. I am just getting into 3D printing. :)

Aslansmonkey

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone 3D printed one of 3D Aeroventures Micro Sport Cam planes ? You can buy the files from 3D Aeroventures. The following is the link for the plane. I do not have a connection with 3D Aeroventures. I am thinking about trying to print this plane out. Looking for opinions. ;)

I PRINTED one. But I never got it to fly successfully. This is more on me than anything else, I suspect. I wasn't using the recommended motor and the plane was under-powered. I mean, it WANTED to fly, but just couldn't. It didn't survive the attempt and I didn't re-visit it. But from a straight printing perspective its a nice plane. It's an easy print and the reverse airfoil on the horizontal stabilizer is an interesting idea. But maybe use the recommended electronics.

I also printed the 3D cub, which had a better time trying to fly than the micro Sportcam. Sadly, again, due to no fault in the plane, I managed to crash and destroy that one. I've got bad luck with Cubs, though.

I've successfully printed, built and flown the Eclipson Model A (Free version) and Model B though. And I'm printing the Eclipson P-51 now. And I've printed, built and flown the planeprint savage bobber, though that one crashed on landing with enough violence to be a loss.

I have a Craycle Ranger V2 waiting to maiden.

Wow, this makes me sound like a terrible pilot! I'm really not terrible. I mean, I wouldn't call myself GREAT either. It's more that I like the building more than the flying, generally, so my threshold for "abandon and try something else" is pretty low. That said, my Eclipson Model A is pretty colorful due to reprinted parts.

The downside of 3D printed planes is that they tend to shatter when crashing. A minor tumble that would barely dent a foam board plane will break a wing and fuselage in a 3D printed plane. They're printed thin to be light, but they're also weak.

Hi Everyone,

I also printed this plane. Like Aslansmonkey, I could not get it to fly. I used the recommended motor, prop, and electronics. It just wouldn't get enough speed to lift off. I also printed the Eclipson Model A and the PlanePrint Big Bobber. Both flew very well but were very fragile needing repairs after almost every landing. I have printed the fuselage for a Skyhunter Frankenplane I built but will wait for spring for the maiden. Will post a report on it later. I have had lots of success printing various parts such as landing gear and firewalls. I really like Sponz's design for control horns that I downloaded off Thingiverse.