3D FPV.....

Hey folks..
so while deep in FPV thought.. i had the idea of 3D.. FPV..
so my question i suppose is..
how possible is this idea.>? and has anyone actually done it.?

i was thinking firstly.. easiest way would be strappin a 3D camera (normal video recorder type) to a big airframe (lik the giant X wing) and set it recording..

but then the idea of two separate cameras spaced eye distance apart (obviously) and then somehow overlapping the two videos over each other on playback..somehow

one for chad and the Flitetest boys maybe.>?

anyway i dont really know just something i had a thought about it and wanted to see what you guys had to say on the topic..

cant wait to see all ur 3D FPV videos :p

didnt kno david had done a 3D video.?! thats pretty darn cool..
i suppose a record only is the easiest way to go..
as for modifying fat sharks..
how would u even do that..?
Josh Josh and Chad.. i think this needs some time invested into it..
would make for one seriously cool video..
i have plenty of 3D cinema glasses knocking around.. :p

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Other than the addition of an extra camera would electronics stay the same do we think.?

You'd need to transmit two video signals, which can be done by using different transmitting frequencies, or sending data over the same channel using a special video mixer, or interlacing (or mixing to anaglyph) the two videos onboard.

You'd need to transmit two video signals, which can be done by using different transmitting frequencies, or sending data over the same channel using a special video mixer, or interlacing (or mixing to anaglyph) the two videos onboard.

if u were to transmit over two different frequencies how could u then receive the two signals and collect/overlap them./?
i thought about the fact that u could have one eye/video goggle lens receiving video over one signal and the other on the other frequency.. but im not sure that would work to get u 3D image would it.?
im not really well versed in how u gain a 3D affect other than there are 2cameras spaced eye width apart.

And also.. in terms of mixing the signal/interlacing would this not add a significant weigh or is something like that on the small size..

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
if u were to transmit over two different frequencies how could u then receive the two signals and collect/overlap them./?
i thought about the fact that u could have one eye/video goggle lens receiving video over one signal and the other on the other frequency.. but im not sure that would work to get u 3D image would it.?
im not really well versed in how u gain a 3D affect other than there are 2cameras spaced eye width apart.

And also.. in terms of mixing the signal/interlacing would this not add a significant weigh or is something like that on the small size..

Did you see this link? These guys make the 3D camera AND the 3D vision goggles.

http://www.nghobbies.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=393

I have no idea about how video equipment works or how much it weighs... But that's one way to do it.

But - the thing is, 3D FPV would work best on land units like cars, as things are much closer. Up in the air, there's not much depth to be seen.

Bollie

yeah there would be very little 3d effect unless your flying low through a street or something, you could maybe try putting the 2 cameras at the ends of your wings to try and exaggerated the 3 D effect

Did you see this link? These guys make the 3D camera AND the 3D vision goggles.

But - the thing is, 3D FPV would work best on land units like cars, as things are much closer. Up in the air, there's not much depth to be seen.

yeah there would be very little 3d effect unless your flying low through a street or something, you could maybe try putting the 2 cameras at the ends of your wings to try and exaggerated the 3 D effect

Yeah i see what you mean..
i also like the idea of the 'exaggerated' effect although if that would work or not i dont kno..
I think maybe a better platform rather than a plane is something like a tri/quadcoptor and u have the ability to fly through a forest and through a lot more tight intricate places unlike a plane..
much like that video from David at RcExplorer.. although i didnt have the glasses to watch that in 3D (red&green ones) so the 3D effect was some what lost on me..

Anyone got any idea on what the difference is between the old and new style of glasses.? as in, is it filmed differently or displayed differently.? E.T.C. .?

Bollie

I presume your talking about 3D glasses.
Old school glasses (red and blue) used colour filters so that one eye would see the red image and the other eye would see the blue image, that way they could just overlay the two images on the one frame.
The current system has 2 different methods, the cinema uses polarization, the polarization of the light for the right eye is at 90 degrees to the image for the left. The glasses have a vertical polarization for one eye so that eye only sees the image with the same polarization and the other lens is horizontally polarized.

The 3D glasses that comes with your TV uses an LCD screen to black out each eye. The glasses synchronize with the TV so that when the TV displays the left image the glasses black out your right eye and when the TV displays the right image the glasses black out the left eye. This all happens 100 times a second.

Hope this makes sense I wrote it quickly because I have to go, just google the question, there are heaps of sites that explain it better than I just did

luciduous

My own Contribution to 3D FPV

http://www.fullspectrumfpv.com

Hello, Hello! Couldn't help but see your discussion on 3D FPV via a google search on 3d fpv that I do weekly. I've been working on this idea for a long time and have done it slightly differently than the others. Here's my usual schpeal to forums:

We, here at FullSpectrum FPV, have created the world's first fully featured 3D fpv system. With an in house built dual input Head Mounted Display ( weighing in at only 6 lbs, which is close to motorcycle helmets) and a dual camera/ dual transmitter 'robot head', we've built a system from the ground up that utilizes the most tech for the highest resolution and frame rate possible!

headreal.jpg

topview.jpg

Previous forums about modifying two standard fpv goggles into one seems wasteful (do the left over parts get thrown away?), and most virtual reality goggles on the market that allow 2 video inputs start at 4 times the cost of our entire system. Oh yeah, and the other 3D system at NGhobbies.com sure seems lacking to us. 1/4" cmos sensors? Single transmitter image interlacing? Come on, we can do better than that! We've come up with a way of using small 8" LCD panels in a way to create a 3D viewing system. Our product contains all you need for 3D FPV! Plus it uses a NO DRIFT 3 AXIS Head Tracker for total Realism. Great for turning into a turn in a car or correcting tilt during flying with ailerons!

Contact us at http://www.fullspectrumfpv.com for more Videos, FAQ and info!

Feel free to leave any comments or ideas.

Last edited: