• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

3D Printable FT Spitfire Retracts

ComikzInk

Soft and Foofy
Hi all,

I've spent the past few weeks designing, printing and testing a little project to share.

Having recently acquired a FT Spitfire I wanted to mod this thing the moment I finished it. I felt the first thing to do before painting her was to give her landing gear so I can keep the belly nice and intact. Trouble being static gear looks kinda lame to me and as I have mine hanging from the ceiling when not in the air I want her to look the part.

Thingiverse seemed a bit empty regarding landing gear that would be suitable and I couldn't find anything retractable so off to SketchUp I went. Long story short I give you...

"Lia's Cheapo External Landing Gear" (complete with steerable tail gear)

Yes... it's external, as implied this is a really dirt cheap and easy means of adding retracts to your FT Spitfire but considering the support beam runs along where you'd cut out the gear-well I figured it'd be easier to just mount it on the wing and hide the servo in an air intake.

She still flies and the gear surprisingly doesn't just snap on landing. Mind you I'm landing on semi-smooth tarmac and doing my best to land and not to bury the plane so you may snap or pull it off if you really slammed your craft onto the ground. I have yet to record a flight with them. I gave it a few test flights but didn't record anything. If the weather blesses me I'll get out the GoPro and show it off in action, till then you'll have to just believe me that it works ;p

Hope this helps a few people and gives more the opportunity to add some more premium features to their little foamboard creations. Source file is available in the download so anyone is free to edit it and make it suitable for your needs :)

Happy flying
Lia <3

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Lia,
Bravo! I've been stretching my wings with my printer. I've made my Thingiverse account (spotted you there), made a bogus drawing in Sketchup to see if I could print it (I did), and printed various things from a threaded nut and bolt to a musical recorder (that runs a tad sharp). Now I'm taking on my biggest print job, a scale roman helmet (we're doing a live nativity thing at church and I get to be a centurion). Just the front piece of the dome will take a day on the printer.

I'm liking this printer and may hit you up for specific advice from time to time.

So congratulations on something with moving parts, something I'm still learning.
&#8212;Jim

ComikzInk

Soft and Foofy
Thanks Jim :)

Glad to hear all your printing is going well so far. Good luck with the helmet, I printed the head for this https://ytec3d.com/glados-lamp/ at 2x scale and took 17 hours D:
Sound like a fun project, I'm sure many will be interested at how you did the helmet at the nativity.

For moving parts all you need really is large enough tolerances. I tend to have a space of 0.3-0.5mm between moving parts on my models. If you make the parts into components you can put them together and rotate them about but not risk those parts from merging.