3D Printed 250 Racer Build Log

JJBTEXAS

I was recently inspired by mpbiv's build and ImmersionRC's new Vortex and decided to design another quad.
Capture.PNG
As you can see, the design is heavily influenced by the ImmersionRC Vortex. You may also notice it's far from finished.

At this point in the project I would like to do something a little different and ask you all for advice. Is there anything you can see or think of that you would like to see in a quad of this design? Is there an aspect of the design that you believe could be improved upon? I'm trying my best this time around to design it perfectly once instead of printing so many prototypes.

The next step for me is to work on the FPV system which will most likely be mounted into the front of the chassis, as well as work out placement for the VTX, RX and battery.

Checklist:
  • landing feet (probably use similar system to my Mighty Mini)
  • more support structure (want least amount possible, probably just long sides of chassis)
Parts:

Attachments

• Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    391.8 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

JJBTEXAS

Update 1:
I've figures out how to mount my camera. The camera is a FatShark 600TVL if anyone is curious.
Capture3.PNG
The VTX will go on the back of the quad. I also sketched up the RX and Battery to go with the ESCs and CC3D to see how I like the placement of everything. It looks at the moment as though these are the only parts to the build. I would really like to have the top and bottom plates laser cut out of carbon fiber or G10 but I don't really know how to go about doing that. Anyone have suggestions? I could just print them as well but thought I'd try something different.

Last edited:

ExperimentalRC

A spot for the mobius would be nice, but is not necessary. Will it be foldable? Again, not necessary, but a nice thing to have. I love the design so far. You're really giving me the itch to get a 3d printer.

JJBTEXAS

I could do a mobius mount but I won't really have the need for one personally. I don't really bother recording on the smaller quads. When I release this I would consider adding a mobius mount but I don't have a mobius to test it out with.

Yes, the arms fold backwards. Theoretically, you could mount the pivot locks the other direction in the back which would have the quad fold up even smaller, but it's less elegant and less crash resistant.

Do it! They're great fun, especially if you're the tinker/maker/creative type.

Last edited:

JJBTEXAS

Update 2:
I got a lot of parts in over the weekend and have the last few parts arriving soon so hopefully it will be build time soon. Still working out if I want to have the chassis laser cut or just print it myself. Well, actually, I know I want it laser cut carbon fiber but I don't think that's in the budget. I test printed all the 3d printed arm parts and they all came out well. I had to make one adjustment to the top motor mount piece but that's all. The carbonfiber booms should be here Wednesday to I can get a final test fit before printing out all the parts/spares. I did have to order some extra 18awg wire so I can route the motor wires through the booms so hopefully those parts will be here by the end of the week.
IMG_20150309_185303.jpg

Last edited:

jipp

its a neat design. looks like it will be lighter than most 250 size quads.. as you do not have as high stand offs from the plates.
that will save a few oz id think.
chris.

JJBTEXAS

The key to this design is organization. If i can get everything to fit in it's place this should be a light, nimble little machine. If not? well... I'd rather not think about that :)

JJBTEXAS

Update 3:
Printed all the arm parts and recieved the carbon fiber today. Almost ready to build, just need some more 20awg wire and some zipties! so close!!
IMG_20150311_143518.jpg

edit: apparently I took color inspiration from mpbiv as well haha

Last edited:

mpbiv

Update 3:
Printed all the arm parts and recieved the carbon fiber today. Almost ready to build, just need some more 20awg wire and some zipties! so close!!
View attachment 42597

edit: apparently I took color inspiration from mpbiv as well haha
I didn't think I would like the yellow as much as I did, until I began printing with it. It is definitely a high visibility color!

But I also like the shade of red you originally printed the parts in. I noticed you said this was PETG plastic; is the yellow PETG too or did you opt for ABS or PLA?

JJBTEXAS

The visibility will help a lot if/when I ever down the aircraft. The red was nice but it's not my favorite color. The florescent yellow is actually PLA. The build will end up being a mix of PLA and ABS. I used ABS where I needed flexibility and PLA where I needed more precise prints. I switched away from the PETG because it doesn't hold screws as well as PLA and it leaves little artifacts while printing. PETG is a great replacement for ABS because the qualities are very similar, but I just went with ABS on this build because Black and yellow looks better than red and yellow in this case.

JJBTEXAS

Update 4:
Getting there! I had to adjust the design a little to better fit on the build platform which was unfortunate but oh well. Not I just have to do a ton of soldering and cable management. I'm also going to add feet and some supports.
IMG_20150311_223248.jpg IMG_20150311_223020.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20150311_231849.jpg
    IMG_20150311_231849.jpg
    974.8 KB · Views: 9

JJBTEXAS

Thanks Chris!

Update 5:
Did a ton of soldering today. Wires on the ESC were too short to route through the boom so had to solder longer ones on. This is not a good ESC for this, it took all my admittedly amateur skill to solder this together without bridging.
IMG_20150312_185613.jpg
Just need some zip ties and then I can finish her up. Should be flight testing this and my Mighty Mini this weekend which is exciting. Hope the weather is good. Will keep y'all updated.

devindied

SEL MEL CFI CFII MEI
Wow man, looks amazing. Live in Houston as well! We should def hook up and fly together. Would love to see this thing in person.

JJBTEXAS

Thanks! Unfortunately I dont spend too much time in Houston at the moment, trying to graduate, but would love to given the oppertunaty. Are there any good flying groups in town?

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
There are a few clubs around, but since I am out in Dayton, I don't have much experience with any except Jettero. I went out to visit them once but they didn't seem to be very foam friendly and their dues scream big budget modelers...So for now I just fly in my yard.

jipp

There are a few clubs around, but since I am out in Dayton, I don't have much experience with any except Jettero. I went out to visit them once but they didn't seem to be very foam friendly and their dues scream big budget modelers...So for now I just fly in my yard.

about 6 years ago when i originally tried to get into this hobbie, that was sorta my experience too when i went to the local flying club here in az.. they had no desire for new blood, and if they did they were all about $$ not so much flying skill. then life got in the way, and now this is take two! but, im disable now.. and have more time than money, so foam, multi rotors and my back yard will do.. and ill be quite happy! just wish i wold of bought a different TX back then, but the hitec optic 6 FM was what was recommended.. i paid 180.00 for that, still have the receipt,. hah.. o well, its works for the flight simulator :D

chris.

JJBTEXAS

3 more solder joints from done! you should see the mess of wiring stored away in the chassis, it's crazy. Will post photos in the morning and hopefully some flight video as well. Now I just have to tune the thing...

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Looking forward to seeing it in action. I just purchased a reprap and am waiting on delivery for the fun to start. It's going to be a pretty steep learning curve for me when it finally gets here but looking forward to the challenge!

jipp

so my leg is keeping me up, so iv been out side flying my nano. heh. im hooked on this flying. it is windy tho, but whatever.
i need a 250 soon. looks into my magic 8ball, and looks like my 250 kit is getting drunk over the red sea. :p
chris.