3d Printed A10 Cartoon

bozman

A couple of years ago I built a Cartoon A10 from foam. It had a real basic wing with no real aerodynamics to it but some how it flew awesome after some adjustment.

I believe the plans came from here.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...=a10%20cartoon

This year I got a 3d printer and decided that I wanted to 3D print some planes. After doing some research and having a crack at a few I decided that I should design a plane from scratch. Please keep in mind that I have no cad or real design experience out side of the technical drawing I did in high school about 40 years ago.

I started with blender but soon found that I was constrained in so many way. At this point I started watching a series on youtube called "learn Fusion 360 or die trying". It really opened my eye up to what could be done within this product so for a period of time I straddled Fusion 360 and Blender for the design work (eventually I moved to Fusion 360 full time).

This is what I have designed and I have started printing it. Its basically the same dimensions as the foam one but I have given the wing a bit of an airfoil and have rounded the leading edges of surfaces within Fusion 360 in stead or filing foam post build.

I did start printing the parts but soon realized that I was going to run out of grey PLA. I order a new roll but accidently ordered PLA +. I know people that love PLA+ but I have had no end of trouble with it. Stringing has been a big issue even when I push the retraction settings right out so has under extrusion (turned off retraction and also bumped up the flow rate). Anyhow , lets get back on track.

I have most parts now and will soon start assembling.

You might notice that the printed tail looks different to the design. I have since reprinted this part as I somehow printed it as 240mm when it should be 360mm. I just need to design the engine mount and the elevator and the design will be fully complete.

More to come hopefully soon but I have 2 other designs (micro multiplex skyfun and a NASA D8 double bubble) on the go and I am building 5 3D planes at the moment.

bozman

Finished the horn design last night but had a lot of trouble printing it upright. It hit me this morning, just print it laying down. I didnt integrate the horns into the control surfaces as I found there was a lot of flex and with a somewhat random infill. I found it easier to cut the control surface with the horn part which joins the two skins and provides a nice hole to glue the horn into.

I have started on the design for the motor mount. basically I take the front fuse part, add a box at the front for the offset to the motor mount from the front of the fuse, then create a cylinder for the rest of the fuse that I will use to cut out the motor mount. I will then cut the cylinder with the fuse, give the remaining part some thickness and cut out parts so its not too heavy.

bozman

Another day, another version. Cut out the ribs for easier installation and added some holes to mount the motor. I also reduced the size to .985 as it was a touch large. The larger holes are for a bit of airflow for the electronics and to run the motor wires back to the esc.

bozman

I think I finally got a motor mount that I am happy with. Fits snug, the motor holes are a little high but I think it will still work.