3D Printed Balsa Tools

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
A while back I picked up a plane from a guy on Craigslist. He was selling off most of his stuff and down-sizing, so he also gave me a bunch of misc stuff that he didn't want to take with him. In one of the boxes was a set of small hobby files, which can come in handy thanks to the various shapes. However, they're tough to use without a handle and I didn't have a handle small enough to use for them. Oh what's a boy to do?

Print one, duh!

So here it is, fresh off the printer yesterday. The handle is a little small and the file took some effort to get it in there. It's far better than trying to use a file without a handle - more comfort and better control.

IMG_6224.JPG

And then today I look at the weather and see that we're supposed to hit 52 degrees with winds under 10mph and sunny skies, pretty darn nice for Wisconsin in December!! I figured the printer was going to be lonely for a few hours while I'm gone, so I set it up quickly to print a bunch of handles while I'm gone. Now each file has it's own, which works well since some files are a very tight fit and others are pretty loose. On the loose ones I'll put a drop of CA in to secure the file in the handle. Maybe I'll need to make a file holder for them now...! :)

IMG_6225.JPG

IMG_6226.JPG

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I think I'm ready for a test print of my CG machine. I picked up 3 lengths of 1/4-20 threaded rod that I will cut. Each was little over $3 and the nuts were another $2 or $3. While a little cheaper than the Great Planes CG machine... it sure is fun to make your own crap. CG.jpg

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I look forward to seeing what you come up with. I'll probably throw my hat into that design arena as well, but my goal will be a product that can handle a much larger plane than the Great Planes product. Their basic style is good for "normal" sized birds, so I'll probably borrow a bit of the design. It'll have to be beefed up a bit to handle 10+ pounds of plane, and I'm thinking of using a combination of hardwood dowels and metal rods to make it adjustable and strong. I'll also need to figure out what to make that will hold the plane without damaging it. Some ideas are rolling around in my head...

But first I'm wrapping up a different 3D design. My electric starter has a long cord that is a bit of a pain to deal with, so I'm designing a small box/battery holder that will mount to the bottom of my starter motor. The box will hold one or two 3 or 4 cell batteries which should give me enough power to start most of my engines. Bigger engines may still require the extra grunt from a car battery I keep on hand for just such an emergency. The design is almost done, I just need to test-print part of it to make sure my screw holes are all lined up properly.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I'm hoping my design will handle around 10 pounds. Testing will determine that. I'll test it with a couple of my bigger birds. I still say for anything over 15 you really should be using a vanessa rig.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Time for a 2-year review! I can pretty safely say this balsa stripper from Post #1 in this thread is the best balsa tool I ever printed, far better (in my opinion) than the Master Airscrew stripper. It's longer and wider than the MA stripper, so it's more stable and consistently gives perfect vertical cuts. Because of the extra length it is easier to "guide" along the straight edge of a sheet to get a straight cut. It doesn't do super narrow cuts, but I don't normally need a lot of small sticks. My MA stripper hasn't been used in over a year now as the 3D printed stripper has taken over as my go-to for ripping planks. I haven't used the printer for about a year now, but am thinking about taking this design and making some tweaks so it'll do thin strips more easily, and maybe making a version that handles slightly thicker sheet. I think this one will only handle up to about 1/4" sheet.