3D Printed FT Dart Engine Pods

Piva

Hey guys, I love this little design but I thought the engine pods were kind of an eye sore, so I modeled up some of my own to 3d print. They'll probably have to be made out of a higher temp material than PLA. This first set I made is PETG.

I wrapped the pod up over the top of the wing for some added durability. I could also easily change the thrust line of the engines, but I don't know what the optimal position would be, so they're in the same location as the stock pods.

Let me know what you think!

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2867311

Attachments

• IMG_2510.JPG
    IMG_2510.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2511.JPG
    IMG_2511.JPG
  • IMG_2514.JPG
    IMG_2514.JPG
  • IMG_2513.JPG
    IMG_2513.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

Piva

Nice design. The dart is kind of ugly with the boxy pods.

I thought so too. The design is really sleek except for those darn engine pods! So I made some that do it justice!

By the way, I've got a new version of the engine pods that's a 2 piece design. One part that glues onto the airplane and the other part attaches to the engine, so if you manage to break one of the pods or need to change an engine for some reason, you don't have to build a new dart from scratch.

I'll post pics and links as soon as I'm happy with the design.

Piva

Very nice! I might have to try those out.

Thank you!

Here are the two piece pods, let me know if you want me to throw these up on thinginverse too.

Finally got my PETG settings to where I'm getting pretty nice prints too. I suppose, now that I think about it with the two piece design, you could use PLA on the part attached to the plane, and PETG on the engine mount if you wanted. Probably best just to stick to PETG though.

IMG_2527.jpg