3D Printed Motor Mount Pod

3D Printed Motor Mount Pod 1

Please log in to download

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Mid7night submitted a new resource:

3D Printed Motor Mount Pod - A SUPER beefy motor mount-pod that replaces the stock foamboard mounts on many FT planes

This is a motor mount & pod that I made for my highly modified FT Super Bee, because I wanted a stronger motor mount for my application, but it can be used anywhere similar motor mounts are found on FT planes.

View attachment 108178 View attachment 108177

If using on the FT Super Bee, you will need to cut two additional slots in the bottom of the wing for the motor mount tabs to fit into. Otherwise, use at your own discretion!

Motor mount holes are sized for EMAX RS2205, RS2306, and any...

Read more about this resource...

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Ahh!! I see you did "Pin" the motor mount as we were talking about the other night. That should prevent the motors from simply yanking themselves free as they peel the paper from the amount of pulling those motors will achieve at max thrust.

I was thinking about the design too. I was thinking there are so many variations of motors over the range of FT planes that maybe a slight modification could accommodate them all. How hard would a general purpose mount be where there is merely slots in the side of the front portion of the pod to slide in the various sizes of the FT wooden motor mounts or peoples own 3d printed versions. That way any size motor could be used simply by changing the motor mounting plate to fit the motors.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Ahh!! I see you did "Pin" the motor mount as we were talking about the other night. That should prevent the motors from simply yanking themselves free as they peel the paper from the amount of pulling those motors will achieve at max thrust.

I was thinking about the design too. I was thinking there are so many variations of motors over the range of FT planes that maybe a slight modification could accommodate them all. How hard would a general purpose mount be where there is merely slots in the side of the front portion of the pod to slide in the various sizes of the FT wooden motor mounts or peoples own 3d printed versions. That way any size motor could be used simply by changing the motor mounting plate to fit the motors.

A slot for changing out the firewall wouldn’t be hard. Good idea!

JGplanes

Ok, I have to say that this thing is nuts! Any estimates on top speed? I noticed this in one of your YouTube episodes, and it's one of the things I'm really looking forward to seeing at FFE this year. That's an awesome idea about the swappable firewalls also!

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Ok, I have to say that this thing is nuts! Any estimates on top speed? I noticed this in one of your YouTube episodes, and it's one of the things I'm really looking forward to seeing at FFE this year. That's an awesome idea about the swappable firewalls also!

Thanks! Estimates vary from 130-160mph, depending on how you do the math. If I can actually hold it straight and level out of a decent speed-dive, I think it's definitely capable of 130-140mph.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what everyone is bringing to FFOH this year. It's gonna be awesome!

PoorManRC

Master member
What a cool upgrade!!!! I definitely see a couple of those in my future.
I'm really trying to come up with a more resilient FT Aircraft... That looks like a MUST!

........ 130mph??? o_O:eek::cool: DANG!!!!