3D printed parts for MiniDR1

RaavHimself

This is my mini DR1. Thanks to FT for this beautiful design!!
The plastic parts I've made are the wheels (complete with black TPU tires), the radial engine mock up and the engine cover. I have also included a pilot that could be either Snoopy or Brian Griffin. The parts can be found here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3896996
I have also included in my model single servo ailerons and an FPV combo.
Truth is I have no idea if it will fly. The 6" prop looks a bit too small as most of it blows air against the plane... We'll see
WhatsApp Image 2019-10-04 at 17.26.46 (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2019-10-04 at 17.26.46.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2019-10-04 at 17.26.45.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2019-10-04 at 17.26.45 (1) - copia.jpeg

Attachments

• WheelTireFokkerDR1.stl
    576.3 KB · Views: 0
  • WheelHubFokkerDR1.stl
    83.8 KB · Views: 0
  • WheelNutFokkerDR1.stl
    578 KB · Views: 0
  • WheelRimFokkerDR1.stl
    304.1 KB · Views: 0
  • EngineMockUpCCW.stl
    617.6 KB · Views: 0
  • EngineMockUpCover.stl
    797.3 KB · Views: 0
  • EngineMockUpCW.stl
    617.6 KB · Views: 0
  • snoopy pilot.stl
    13 MB · Views: 0

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Well it darn well looks good! And heavy, and yeah, you've got limited thrust. I hope you're going to throw it in the air, anyway! And get video, so we can cheer your wonderful flight with your beautiful bird. :)

RaavHimself

Well it darn well looks good! And heavy, and yeah, you've got limited thrust. I hope you're going to throw it in the air, anyway! And get video, so we can cheer your wonderful flight with your beautiful bird. :)
So no, it did not fly. Would not get enough thust and I guessed It was the prop being too small and too close to the front of the plane. The blotched attempt broke both of the wing struts. Not a problem. I replaced them with ones wood reinforced (more weight to the weight). I also changed the 2205 for a 2212 with 1000KV and put an 8" prop. In fact it was a trimmed 10" slow fly, that's all I had, and I know that balancing the prop is a procedure that should be done and blah, blah, and once, I even saw a video about it, but an unbalanced propeller is not going to stop me. No way.

So in the second attempt here I go with a more powerful motor and bigger prop one inch well ahead of the plane. And it flew. for five seconds it did fly. I had no luck trying to take off from the strip, until It dislodged a wheel and suffered minor damage in the left wing aileron. So I decided to hand launch it. As soon as it left my hand it banked sharply to the left (might be the damage was not so minor) and ended up cartwheeling in the ground. Totalled. I guess trying to fly it with a 1500 mAh 4s was not a good idea. Definitively, it was too heavy.

So yeah, the 3d printed parts might be too heavy also. In their published version they weighted: Both wheels 48 g, the engine mock up 20 g, the front cover 21g and the pilot 9 g. I don't know if it's a lot or if it's a little for this plane, since I don't own a scale, I don't have the experience, and I don't know the weight of the rest of the parts. That's just the weight the slicer software shows. I am redesigning the parts to be aprox. 60% lighter (yes, I'm making a new plane - you know when you just finish building one aircraft, there are those little things you would have done differently...), but to be truth I suppose all my planes are very heavy. To start with, the type of foam sheets that are available here (covered not by paper but by some thick white posterboard by both sides) is very heavy, And then I used linkage stoppers, and painted it... and then I put the biggest battery that I had in hand and fitted inside the bay (barely) without having a second thought. Next time, when the plane is built again, my attempt will be with a 900 mAh 4s and with a proper 8" three blade prop.

BTW- It would be nice if these FT people set some kind of sales/distribution scheme here in europe so we could buy here their fantastic waterproof boards at a price that's not out of scope, wouldnt it?

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
So no, it did not fly. Would not get enough thust and I guessed It was the prop being too small and too close to the front of the plane. The blotched attempt broke both of the wing struts. Not a problem. I replaced them with ones wood reinforced (more weight to the weight). I also changed the 2205 for a 2212 with 1000KV and put an 8" prop. In fact it was a trimmed 10" slow fly, that's all I had, and I know that balancing the prop is a procedure that should be done and blah, blah, and once, I even saw a video about it, but an unbalanced propeller is not going to stop me. No way.

So in the second attempt here I go with a more powerful motor and bigger prop one inch well ahead of the plane. And it flew. for five seconds it did fly. I had no luck trying to take off from the strip, until It dislodged a wheel and suffered minor damage in the left wing aileron. So I decided to hand launch it. As soon as it left my hand it banked sharply to the left (might be the damage was not so minor) and ended up cartwheeling in the ground. Totalled. I guess trying to fly it with a 1500 mAh 4s was not a good idea. Definitively, it was too heavy.

So yeah, the 3d printed parts might be too heavy also. In their published version they weighted: Both wheels 48 g, the engine mock up 20 g, the front cover 21g and the pilot 9 g. I don't know if it's a lot or if it's a little for this plane, since I don't own a scale, I don't have the experience, and I don't know the weight of the rest of the parts. That's just the weight the slicer software shows. I am redesigning the parts to be aprox. 60% lighter (yes, I'm making a new plane - you know when you just finish building one aircraft, there are those little things you would have done differently...), but to be truth I suppose all my planes are very heavy. To start with, the type of foam sheets that are available here (covered not by paper but by some thick white posterboard by both sides) is very heavy, And then I used linkage stoppers, and painted it... and then I put the biggest battery that I had in hand and fitted inside the bay (barely) without having a second thought. Next time, when the plane is built again, my attempt will be with a 900 mAh 4s and with a proper 8" three blade prop.

BTW- It would be nice if these FT people set some kind of sales/distribution scheme here in europe so we could buy here their fantastic waterproof boards at a price that's not out of scope, wouldnt it?
Oh, man. Sorry to hear about the crash. But it DID fly! Albeit briefly. I'm glad you're not abandoning the project. A plane that pretty deserves to fly!

I found the FT version of the DR1 to be both a handful and blast to fly. Here in the U.S. we're a little bit spoiled with our DTFB being so readily and inexpensively available. I've a lot of respect for ya'll that persevere without even the basic building materials that I so take for granted.

Keep it up! Fingers crossed that your V2 flies like a dream! :)