• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Pumpkin drop event

3D Printed POWERUP 3.0 Plane Weird Flight Characteristics (First Post)

Hi. I'm new to the Flite Test forums but I've been in a few others before so I have some experience. This post is about a video I made on my YouTube channel here:
I'd like to talk about some weird flight characteristics I experienced with this plane. When I first threw the plane it would immediately bank around until it was upside-down and then stop spinning and go into the ground. I managed to make them less noticeable by giving the plane an absurd amount of dihedral and making my vertical stabilizers bigger. But what I want to know is why it goes upside-down in the first place and how to prevent/fix it in the future without sacrificing lost of lift from the dihedral. If anyone knows something that can help please let me know. Thanks!

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
This must have been buried quickly, Welcome to the forums! I don't think too many folks here have a Powerup. I just picked a 3.0 and a dart up for of my boys. a big part is that fluid dynamics doesn't scale with your plane. so bigger stabilizers makes sense... As far as flipping over... I offer little. (top heavy, and imbalanced/unstable... but It beats me how from here. Great job working hard on the testing.

How much does/did your plane weigh?

Max Xu has been a proponent for designs moving beyond paper airplanes for the Powerups. in his Wright flyer model video he includes this guide for 3.0 models:
1563459009788.png