3d printer help.

IcedStorm777

What power supply should i get? I would love to have a pretty powerful supply (i'm thinking 750 watts) but i also don't want to have to solder. I want the power supply to pretty much just plug into the motherboard and have nothing else plugged to the power supply (as i am pretty sure everything else connects to the motherboard. Also, i am thinking about getting a BL touch. Would you recommend it? I figured mechanical was the best as i am using an ultrabase bed which is similar to glass. Thanks

Last edited:

Chuppster

What power supply should i get? I would love to have a pretty powerful supply (i'm thinking 750 watts) but i also don't want to have to solder. I want the power supply to pretty much just plug into the motherboard and have nothing else plugged to the power supply (as i am pretty sure everything else connects to the motherboard. Also, i am thinking about getting a BL touch. Would you recommend it? I figured mechanical was the best as i am using an ultrabase bed which is similar to glass. Thanks

As for the power supply, the answer really depends on what heated bed you are using. If you have an AC heated bed (which I would recommend at this size) you really only need a hundred watts or so. I use old ATX power supplies for my printers. If you go with an AC bed 750w would be major overkill.

I've played around with bed sensors and have found them to be quaint, but ABL really isn't as ideal as having a properly leveled bed. If you are printing on glass it should be quite flat and therefore you can level it. I use mechanical endstops and have stopped bothering with probes.

IcedStorm777

Ok so i won't use a BL touch. The reason i wasn't planning on using an ATX is cus then you have to solder a lot right? Any specific power supply you would recommend? Here is the bed i went with. https://www.anycubic.com/collection...rabase-hotbed-platform-380x380mm-for-predator

Also, how do you wire a ATX for a motherboard? The only thing that i connect to the PSU is the motherboard right? And then you connect the Hotend, Bed etc to the motherboard/?

Last edited:

Chuppster

That's a 24 volt bed. I highly recommend you get an AC bed. It will be a lot quicker to heat up and a ton more energy efficient than pushing very high current through a 24 volt power supply.

You don't have to solder an ATX motherboard. Just cut off the green wire from the motherboard plug and ground it and it'll turn on. Then the yellow wires are 12v and the red wires are 5v. However, you'll need a 24v supply if you are using that bed.

IcedStorm777

That's a 24 volt bed. I highly recommend you get an AC bed. It will be a lot quicker to heat up and a ton more energy efficient than pushing very high current through a 24 volt power supply.

You don't have to solder an ATX motherboard. Just cut off the green wire from the motherboard plug and ground it and it'll turn on. Then the yellow wires are 12v and the red wires are 5v. However, you'll need a 24v supply if you are using that bed.

Darn it I feel really stupid. I ordered the bed which I just realized is 24v from you (big dumb on me for not checking that) but the E3D V6 that I ordered is 12v. I am going to try to send the bed back but if not what could I do (if anything) to change or fix. So assuming I can send the bed back what bed would you reccomend? I am looking for a circular bed that is at least close to 400mm and is heated. Any good options you know of?

Chuppster

Darn it I feel really stupid. I ordered the bed which I just realized is 24v from you (big dumb on me for not checking that) but the E3D V6 that I ordered is 12v. I am going to try to send the bed back but if not what could I do (if anything) to change or fix. So assuming I can send the bed back what bed would you reccomend? I am looking for a circular bed that is at least close to 400mm and is heated. Any good options you know of?

I don't, but I've seen them referenced. I'm sure if you did some googling for 120v (if you're in the US) delta heated bed something would come up. If you're having trouble I can do some googling too.

If you're stuck with that bed, you can run a 24v power supply off a relay for the bed and the rest of the system at 12v, or get a 24v heat cartridge and run the system at 24 volts (which you should probably do anyway, especially with TMC drivers). Do some research on 24v vs 12v on TMC drivers, and I highly suggest this video too:

IcedStorm777

I don't, but I've seen them referenced. I'm sure if you did some googling for 120v (if you're in the US) delta heated bed something would come up. If you're having trouble I can do some googling too.

If you're stuck with that bed, you can run a 24v power supply off a relay for the bed and the rest of the system at 12v, or get a 24v heat cartridge and run the system at 24 volts (which you should probably do anyway, especially with TMC drivers). Do some research on 24v vs 12v on TMC drivers, and I highly suggest this video too:

So basically what your saying is use a 24V power supply to power everything except the horned and then use a relay ( Don’t know what this is but just guessing) to power the 12v
hotbed with 12 Volts? I figured I could use something like this on ONLY the wires from the motherboard to the hotend. Is that correct? Thanks

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EFUHH1U/?tag=lstir-20

Last edited:

Chuppster

So basically what your saying is use a 24V power supply to power everything except the horned and then use a relay ( Don’t know what this is but just guessing) to power the 12v
hotbed with 12 Volts? I figured I could use something like this on ONLY the wires from the motherboard to the hotend. Is that correct? Thanks

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EFUHH1U/?tag=lstir-20

A relay is just a electronic switch that can take a low power signal and move a lot of current. Essentially, your mainboard can switch current for a heated bed but it's only rated for so much current before it burns out. You'll have to do some research to find out what that is. If you need to exceed that current you'll need a bigger switch (MOSFET) and you'll turn that on and off with your printer output.

What I highly suggest is that you use something called a Solid State Relay to turn wall power on and off to heat the bed. The 120v will never go through your board, your board will just power the relay.

If you watched the video I linked to you you probably saw Tom recommend 24v for the mainboard if you have TMC drivers. It'll be your best bet to get a 24v hotend and just run everything at that voltage (except, of course, your heated bed).

Alternatively you can keep the heated bed you have linked above and pump 500 watts (20 amps @ 24v) through your power supply and board/mosfet to get a less efficient and slower heating bed than you would if you went with an AC approach (120v). Make sure you have good thick wire everywhere with this, and if you have a bad connection there's a high chance of fire. If you found a equivalent bed (500w) for AC, you'd only be switching less than 5 amps, a much safer amount of current to be dealing with.

It looks like it would be good for you to keep doing research on this. All the info is out there (I learned it on the internet), and research always pays before you go and buy stuff. Just my two cents ;).

IcedStorm777

A relay is just a electronic switch that can take a low power signal and move a lot of current. Essentially, your mainboard can switch current for a heated bed but it's only rated for so much current before it burns out. You'll have to do some research to find out what that is. If you need to exceed that current you'll need a bigger switch (MOSFET) and you'll turn that on and off with your printer output.

What I highly suggest is that you use something called a Solid State Relay to turn wall power on and off to heat the bed. The 120v will never go through your board, your board will just power the relay.

If you watched the video I linked to you you probably saw Tom recommend 24v for the mainboard if you have TMC drivers. It'll be your best bet to get a 24v hotend and just run everything at that voltage (except, of course, your heated bed).

Alternatively you can keep the heated bed you have linked above and pump 500 watts (20 amps @ 24v) through your power supply and board/mosfet to get a less efficient and slower heating bed than you would if you went with an AC approach (120v). Make sure you have good thick wire everywhere with this, and if you have a bad connection there's a high chance of fire. If you found a equivalent bed (500w) for AC, you'd only be switching less than 5 amps, a much safer amount of current to be dealing with.

It looks like it would be good for you to keep doing research on this. All the info is out there (I learned it on the internet), and research always pays before you go and buy stuff. Just my two cents ;).

I am going to see if i can return the HOTEND (not the bed) and just run a 24v setup. After some research is seems that 24v is much better for TMC steppers and for stepper motors. I just want to make sure, i can run 24v power supplies off of US outlets right? If this fails my solution is below.

So what i am thinking i am going to do is this. Run a 24 Volt PSU for the whole setup. I will run the power supply to the motherboard and the motherboard to the steppers and other parts without any change. However when i run the 24 Volts to the hotend i will run it through this regulator https://www.aliexpress.com/item/329...chweb0_0,searchweb201602_4,searchweb201603_52

I may also add something like this to the heated bed wires.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XY5HBFX/?tag=lstir-20

Last edited:

Chuppster

I am going to see if i can return the HOTEND (not the bed) and just run a 24v setup. After some research is seems that 24v is much better for TMC steppers and for stepper motors. I just want to make sure, i can run 24v power supplies off of US outlets right? If this fails my solution is below.

So what i am thinking i am going to do is this. Run a 24 Volt PSU for the whole setup. I will run the power supply to the motherboard and the motherboard to the steppers and other parts without any change. However when i run the 24 Volts to the hotend i will run it through this regulator https://www.aliexpress.com/item/329...chweb0_0,searchweb201602_4,searchweb201603_52

A 24v hotend heater cartridge will be a lot cheaper and simpler than buying a step down converter. I highly recommend you get the correct cartridge for 24v.

Did you find a 24v power supply that can supply the current you need?

Chuppster

If you can't return the hotend, you can get a cartridge for a reasonable price: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RRJ5GWF/?tag=lstir-20

IcedStorm777

A 24v hotend heater cartridge will be a lot cheaper and simpler than buying a step down converter. I highly recommend you get the correct cartridge for 24v.

Did you find a 24v power supply that can supply the current you need?

So you are saying instead of returning the hotend just buy some 24 volt fans and heater cartridges? I may do that (depending on how much shipping is.) But if i can return it for free (fingers crossed) than i really won't lose any money. The thing is i ordered the e3d v6 with the volcano and both of them are 12 volts so i would have to replace to cartridges and a fan so i think i am just planning on returning the hotend and volcano and then reordering a 24 volt version of both of those. However if that fails i will get the recommended cartridges. As far as the PSU i am starting to look for one but haven't bought it yet as i do need to make a little bit more money. I will keep you posted on the hunt for the PSU. Thanks!

Chuppster

So you are saying instead of returning the hotend just buy some 24 volt fans and heater cartridges? I may do that (depending on how much shipping is.) But if i can return it for free (fingers crossed) than i really won't lose any money. The thing is i ordered the e3d v6 with the volcano and both of them are 12 volts so i would have to replace to cartridges and a fan so i think i am just planning on returning the hotend and volcano and then reordering a 24 volt version of both of those. However if that fails i will get the recommended cartridges. As far as the PSU i am starting to look for one but haven't bought it yet as i do need to make a little bit more money. I will keep you posted on the hunt for the PSU. Thanks!

The reason I asked about the PSU is that you are going to have to spend a lot to get a decent 24v PSU, and you may end up saving money going with AC. That, and it's safer. 3D printers are, in essence, a pile of parts, but the parts you choose impact what other parts you get.

Doing some googling, prices range from $50 (burn your house down quality) to $500. I wouldn't trust one that costs less than $100, but you'd have to pay $200 to get quality. Now, if you want to get into soldering, a used server PSU may be a good budget option.

IcedStorm777

The reason I asked about the PSU is that you are going to have to spend a lot to get a decent 24v PSU, and you may end up saving money going with AC. That, and it's safer. 3D printers are, in essence, a pile of parts, but the parts you choose impact what other parts you get.

Doing some googling, prices range from $50 (burn your house down quality) to $500. I wouldn't trust one that costs less than $100, but you'd have to pay $200 to get quality. Now, if you want to get into soldering, a used server PSU may be a good budget option.

So is it impossible to have 24 volt AC power? I think it would still be cheaper to get a good quality 24v PSU as the bed sizes that i was looking at and along with the heated beds cost about $!150. Im fine with spending money on a good PSU as i think that would be the best idea to go with.

Chuppster

So is it impossible to have 24 volt AC power? I think it would still be cheaper to get a good quality 24v PSU as the bed sizes that i was looking at and along with the heated beds cost about $!150. Im fine with spending money on a good PSU as i think that would be the best idea to go with.

The reason you would want AC power is that you don't have to convert it after it comes out of the wall. So, having a transformer give you 24v AC would technically work, but it would negate much of the objective, which is to simplify the system and make it safer/cheaper.

IcedStorm777

The reason you would want AC power is that you don't have to convert it after it comes out of the wall. So, having a transformer give you 24v AC would technically work, but it would negate much of the objective, which is to simplify the system and make it safer/cheaper.
Ok than I would probably just go with a 24 Volt dc power supply. I will let you know what PCU I choose and I will be able to return the hotend so that’s good.

IcedStorm777

Outstanding news! I just found out how much cheaper it is to simply buy E3D heater cartridge and fans than to ship it. Shipping it was upwards of $20 and buying the new parts was 11! So i ordered them. That will make getting this done much quicker. Thanks!