3D printing is more affordable so....

Rollie76

I wish some talented FT fan would bridge the gap between 3D printing and FT scratch builds. I would love to see, for example. The FT Explorer, 3d printed Cockpit and rudder\elevator section. Leaving the wing and fuselage still made out of dollar tree foam.. I'm sure many FT scratch builds could benefit from 3d printed parts. And it would still be 100% scratch build being made at home.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I wish some talented FT fan would bridge the gap between 3D printing and FT scratch builds. I would love to see, for example. The FT Explorer, 3d printed Cockpit and rudder\elevator section. Leaving the wing and fuselage still made out of dollar tree foam.. I'm sure many FT scratch builds could benefit from 3d printed parts. And it would still be 100% scratch build being made at home.

Not a bad idea, except now you're changing the weight of the plane.

I've bridged it somewhat, using a 3D printed firewall, and control horns, on my planes, but I've left things like the ailerons, rudder, and tail as being foam because 1) DTFB is still cheaper than 3D printing, and 2) it takes a heckuva lot less time to cut out a pattern on foam board than it does trying to 3D print something.

Now, a 3D printed cockpit isn't a bad idea; I'd consider doing something like that for say, the MiG-3 or the Mustang; however, it's still something I'd have to REALLY work at to get the detail I'd want for it, not to mention that the "glass" wouldn't be terribly clear (the "clear" ABS and PLA I've seen end up looking more like a hazy crystal than an actual clear glass when 3D printed, so it wouldn't be easy to see in)...

Rollie76

While the overall weight would be greater, I think that a plane can handle it. I know i want the least weight possible on all my 3D printed quadcopters. Having the wing made out of foam board we can still experiment with the foil and find the right lift for the extra weight..

ViperTech

3D printing is more affordable so....

That is why instead of buying more plane goodies, I just bought a 3D printer and in less than a week have designed and printed 3 parts. Lots of possibility's here! So far I have a motor mount for a profile plane and a nose wheel mount for a profile plane and a spacer mount for my sky surfer to allow the motor to be mounted out side the plane body and allow a larger prop. I just used tinker cad for these.

plane parts.png