3D-Printing Spinners

drew_lord

Has anyone had any luck 3D printing spinners? My brother has tried but had issues getting baseplates flat and keeping them from blowing up at high RPM. We're both relatively competant with CAD, so we'd like to see if we could get some to work.

Any tips/tricks/testimonials are greatly appreciated.

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
I made plenty of them and they usually work great.
DSC_0277.JPG
You obviously dont want any tall unsupported part that can flex out because of gyroscopic forces, actually I can share my parametric spinner generator I made in fusion360

BS projects inc.

Elite member
Be sure to balance it like you would a prop. The plastic connection between the motor and spinner gets weak over team, so any imperfections will be exaggerated.

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
I actually never balanced the spinners I printed, I just sanded them to be smooth and sometimes painted but they come pretty nice out of the printer.

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
There are about 8 or so "RC Spinners" on thingiverse not including Dan Sponholz's FT Warbird Spinner.

Matagami Designs

Master member
For those of you printing spinners what filament are you using? At the moment i only have PLA but was curious if you are doing them mostly in PETG due to the heat from the motors? Also what layer height are you using I've printed mine in 0.28 mm. I originally designed a 2.5" spinner for the P-38 i am working on based off of a 3" Dubro model but the backplate thickness dose not allow for proper tightening of the nylock nut. I have had to redesign into a 3 piece to keep strength and this also allows the spinner to key into the motor a bit for when i am tightening the props. Any thoughts or concerns? Thanks.

20200426_152310.jpg
300666_5fdbab70d9f4eedb631fa486190d99aa.jpg

Attachments

• 1587928851429.png
    1587928851429.png
    88.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 1587928890529.png
    1587928890529.png
    147.5 KB · Views: 0

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
For those of you printing spinners what filament are you using? At the moment i only have PLA but was curious if you are doing them mostly in PETG due to the heat from the motors? Also what layer height are you using I've printed mine in 0.28 mm. I originally designed a 2.5" spinner for the P-38 i am working on based off of a 3" Dubro model but the backplate thickness dose not allow for proper tightening of the nylock nut. I have had to redesign into a 3 piece to keep strength and this also allows the spinner to key into the motor a bit for when i am tightening the props. Any thoughts or concerns? Thanks.

View attachment 167262 View attachment 167264

That looks like a great spinner!! Would you mind giving me the STL files?

Matagami Designs

Master member
So i just tested this PLA version (no prop) on a servo tester. Spun up to full speed on a 3s for a couple seconds then pulled out the 4s battery and gave it all the onions for a few seconds as well. Will likely only use on a 3s though? Seems to hold together. My only concern at this point is the fact that it is PLA and once this is under load and in the sun things will probably start to creep. I will probably do a bit more research and invest in a spool of PETG.

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
I have printed more PLA than ABS for my plane stuff - but I get better results with ABS and am slowly moving back to ABS as my preferred material (Also I find it less brittle).

PETG has almost the same strength and heat resistance as ABS. The thing that's better is that it's a whole lot easier to print, little to no warping!

ColoFlyer

I made plenty of them and they usually work great.
View attachment 166048
You obviously dont want any tall unsupported part that can flex out because of gyroscopic forces, actually I can share my parametric spinner generator I made in fusion360

Is it possible to still get your Fusion 360 Parametric Spinner, I would like to give it a try on some of my Flitetest planes.