3D resin printed Draco RC 2500mm

chaos23

rudder is done
Screenshot_103.png

chaos23

working on the fuselage and wing root sockets, I want to hold off working on the sectioning of the fuselage for printing until after i get my printer and do some test prints. This will define how i create load distribution structures etc. also need to work out servo mounts for the tail
link to the video

chaos23

Doing some research on collective pitch/ variable pitch mechanisms. I will be limited in witch of the many methods there are that i can use. Material limitations as well as size and scale constraints aside I have 3ish mechanisms to to choose from. Since i dont want to get into through shaft linkages, im left with using heli style swash plates to liknk stationary control to rotational output.

From the swash plate there are 3 translation options i can use, bevel gear, cam/offset pin and worm gear. There are many variations of these types and many that use elements of some or all of these main types. As far as I can find no one has made a VPP from all 3D printed parts (bearings being the exception, cuz be honest, why re-invent the literal freaking wheel).

So im left with selecting the type of mechanism and then fighting the battle of function/complexity/reliability/weight. I have a couple of ideas but I also have the feeling that when mouse click hits the screen those will fall apart quickly. This will in all likely hood be a very Russian endeavor, with much trial and explodey error. Rapid prototyping for the win I guess.

Correction, just found this 3D printed VPP, only 7inch diameter though and no video of it on a plane in the air, so 3D aeroworks let me know if you got past the prototype phase.

Check out some of these awesome examples.

Last edited:

chaos23

Playing around in Chitubox in preparation of getting my Phenome, diceded to just stick the tip in lol the wing tip. holy cow it takes up most of the build volume. 146grams 133ml of resin 22hrs of printing. I seriously cant wait to start printing this plane.
Screenshot_120.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_118.png
    Screenshot_118.png
    282.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_119.png
    Screenshot_119.png
    383.8 KB · Views: 0

william Metge

Doing some research on collective pitch/ variable pitch mechanisms. I will be limited in witch of the many methods there are that i can use. Material limitations as well as size and scale constraints aside I have 3ish mechanisms to to choose from. Since i dont want to get into through shaft linkages, im left with using heli style swash plates to liknk stationary control to rotational output.

From the swash plate there are 3 translation options i can use, bevel gear, cam/offset pin and worm gear. There are many variations of these types and many that use elements of some or all of these main types. As far as I can find no one has made a VPP from all 3D printed parts (bearings being the exception, cuz be honest, why re-invent the literal freaking wheel).

So im left with selecting the type of mechanism and then fighting the battle of function/complexity/reliability/weight. I have a couple of ideas but I also have the feeling that when mouse click hits the screen those will fall apart quickly. This will in all likely hood be a very Russian endeavor, with much trial and explodey error. Rapid prototyping for the win I guess.

Correction, just found this 3D printed VPP, only 7inch diameter though and no video of it on a plane in the air, so 3D aeroworks let me know if you got past the prototype phase.

Check out some of these awesome examples.

I don't know what to think about this... I am excited to see how it turns out!

Matagami Designs

Master member
Playing around in Chitubox in preparation of getting my Phenome, diceded to just stick the tip in lol the wing tip. holy cow it takes up most of the build volume. 146grams 133ml of resin 22hrs of printing. I seriously cant wait to start printing this plane. View attachment 186885
Cant wait to start seeing the prints! Looks pretty cool. Id be interested in knowing more about the advantages/disadvantages of resin printing models as the entirety of printed models I have seen are FDM.

chaos23

Cant wait to start seeing the prints! Looks pretty cool. Id be interested in knowing more about the advantages/disadvantages of resin printing models as the entirety of printed models I have seen are FDM.
yeah, I have also not yet seen a resin printed plane, almost every person that owns one of these large resin printers does nothing but cosplay helmets lol. So many Mando helmets... so so many Mando helmets...:confused: