3D resin printed Draco RC 2500mm

chaos23

So this just happened. Best Christmas present ever!

Screenshot_125.png

Screenshot_126.png

Pieliker96

Elite member
Doing some research on collective pitch/ variable pitch mechanisms. I will be limited in witch of the many methods there are that i can use. Material limitations as well as size and scale constraints aside I have 3ish mechanisms to to choose from. Since i dont want to get into through shaft linkages, im left with using heli style swash plates to liknk stationary control to rotational output.

Here's another reference for variable pitch as implemented on a full scale aircraft. This implementation electrically is probably a tad too complex for RC because it requires brushes and conductive tracks to transfer power to the variable pitch servo in the spinner. It might be possible to do with a PCB on the backside of the spinner and preloaded brushes on the plane itself.

chaos23

Here's another reference for variable pitch as implemented on a full scale aircraft. This implementation electrically is probably a tad too complex for RC because it requires brushes and conductive tracks to transfer power to the variable pitch servo in the spinner. It might be possible to do with a PCB on the backside of the spinner and preloaded brushes on the plane itself.

Yeah, just a tad to complex, I am subbed to dark aero, my dream is to one day have a workshop where i can build a full size aircraft. Maybe at some point in the future i will do a tech demonstrator of this type of VPP at RC scale.

chaos23

Working on the front end assembly in preparation for the VPP, decided to go all out and hide all the VPP and RC componants inside a faux turbo prop engine case, since it will all fit. lol this 500kv heli motor looks so small. It should be powerful enough to swing the 20inch prop to 6.5k rpm. If i need to up the motor rpm and make an inline planetary gear reduction box then that is still an option. 80cc-100cc equavilent electric motors that normally are used for 20+inch props are just way too expensive.

Attachments

• Screenshot_132.png
    Screenshot_132.png
    190.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_12.png
    Screenshot_12.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

chaos23

Working on the front end assembly in preparation for the VPP, decided to go all out and hide all the VPP and RC componants inside a faux turbo prop engine case, since it will all fit. lol this 500kv heli motor looks so small. It should be powerful enough to swing the 20inch prop to 6.5k rpm. If i need to up the motor rpm and make an inline planetary gear reduction box then that is still an option. 80cc-100cc equavilent electric motors that normally are used for 20+inch props are just way too expensive.

So this motor business aint sitting right with me, so I googled the motor and its not a 500KV motor its an 1800KV motor.... so I will most definitely be doing some serious gear reduction to to convert RPM to torque. I just spent the last 2 hours looking online for a suitable motor around the $100 mark that can swing a 4 blade 20inch prop.... forget the price i can not find a damn thing or im just looking in the wrong places....

So please help, anybody know of a reasonably priced motor in the 8s power range that has the guts to spin this prop? I would like to avoid spending more money on a motor and esc, so I will be doing the gear reduction, but i have my doubts on how well that will work ( its just more complexity and parts that can fail). So a back up plan (the correct motor for the job) is a very good idea.

1800kv on 8s 100amps... 60% throtle (17.76v) --> 31968rpm lets call it 30krpm under load.. so target constant rpm is 6.5krpm means I need a 4.6ish to 1 gear reduction. That's possible with a single stage planetary gearbox, now i just need to make it, btw i will use a stationary carrier for the planet gears.
ps. I love the internet
http://www.thecatalystis.com/gears/
Screenshot_133.png

chaos23

I am not 100% happy with the way I'm implementing this idea, will probably redo it down the road, but the idea is starting to take shape. Going to take a break for a few hours now thow, seriously hurt my wrist working in the garden yesterday, so working with the mouse atm is a struggle. but my goal is to have the gearbox done by tonight. At least the gear profiles, as for having it all mechanically functional ill see how a go. I am hoping to at least be started on the VPP mechanism by the 1st of Jan.

And oh yeah, I dont think i showed you all how I did the wing root sockets, its very light at the moment, i will come back in with more structure later when i decide how ill be sectioning the fuselage.

Attachments

• Screenshot_134.png
    Screenshot_134.png
    268.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_135.png
    Screenshot_135.png
    233.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_136.png
    Screenshot_136.png
    127.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_137.png
    Screenshot_137.png
    219.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_138.png
    Screenshot_138.png
    161 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_139.png
    Screenshot_139.png
    422.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_140.png
    Screenshot_140.png
    826.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_141.png
    Screenshot_141.png
    443.4 KB · Views: 0

chaos23

and thats enough for today, ill rough out the drive shaft and VPP input control tomorrow before starting on ep 06.

Attachments

• Screenshot_143.png
    Screenshot_143.png
    210.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_144.png
    Screenshot_144.png
    179.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_145.png
    Screenshot_145.png
    274.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_146.png
    Screenshot_146.png
    389 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_147.png
    Screenshot_147.png
    302.7 KB · Views: 0

chaos23

I must say this is some of the finest rc modelling I have really ever seen. You must be doing this kind of stuff for a living right?(CAD)
I might need to buy a resin printer myself to build this beauty

Thanks, yes I do CAD full time, no I dont make any money from it atm lol, Im working full time on my youtube channel, Which is growing steadily.

I am not too sure, but the Freewing 8S 4075-1390kV Brushless Inrunner Motor looks like it fits most of the specs given.

The Freewing is for 90mm EDF, the motor im looking for would be a chonker of a thing with a kv between 150 and 800. Anything above 800kv will need a reduction gear to convert rpm into torque. The motor im using is a high RPM heli motor, they generally have a high torque as well as rpm.

chaos23

just got the collective control rod and servo swash plate left to do.

Attachments

• Screenshot_148.png
    Screenshot_148.png
    96.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_149.png
    Screenshot_149.png
    114.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_150.png
    Screenshot_150.png
    115 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_151.png
    Screenshot_151.png
    490.2 KB · Views: 0

chaos23

In the great words of Mike Patey. "WAHOOO" Draco RC: 06 The Mike seal of approval Premiers on the 1st of Jan 2021

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

chaos23

Forward turbine case thing is roughed out, went back through almost everything and adjusted dimensions here and there, over all the case is narrower. The gear reduction now has correct tolerances AND MANUALLY SKETCHED INVOLUTE TOOTH PROFILES, that took 3hrs all by its self

the batter tray thing is gone, will have re make it in the new confined space. And the carbon tube engine frame got all borked from the changes I made, but i was up all night working on the gears and making said changes so ill sort it out tomorrow

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE! see you all tomorrow.

Attachments

• Screenshot_157.png
    Screenshot_157.png
    182 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_158.png
    Screenshot_158.png
    120.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_159.png
    Screenshot_159.png
    345.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_160.png
    Screenshot_160.png
    312 KB · Views: 0

GrizWiz

Elite member
Forward turbine case thing is roughed out, went back through almost everything and adjusted dimensions here and there, over all the case is narrower. The gear reduction now has correct tolerances AND MANUALLY SKETCHED INVOLUTE TOOTH PROFILES, that took 3hrs all by its self

the batter tray thing is gone, will have re make it in the new confined space. And the carbon tube engine frame got all borked from the changes I made, but i was up all night working on the gears and making said changes so ill sort it out tomorrow

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE! see you all tomorrow.
Nice!