3DLabPrint Supermarine Spitfire MkIX

jaredstrees

Wow. Looking forward to see how it comes together. My A8 should be delivered Monday. Plan on doing a 3D lab print, but not one that size!

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Definitely subscribing to this thread, also how much would it cost to print that 3d printed rc snow blower that was featured on RCsparks a while back? I hate dealing with snow, especially when I could make something to mostly solve the issue.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
I suggest the smaller war birds for sure.

That will allow you to fine tune your printer.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Ordered some bits and pieces over the weekend for this project.

If all goes as planned this Spitfire will be flying over Ohio this summer @ Flite Fest.

Grahamiw

What Power Set Up Did You Go With?

Andre,
My best friend got a CR-10 for Christmas and I was able to convince him to print me the big Spitfire as his first major print. After days of tweaking the settings, he seems to have it dialed in and is almost done with the left wing. He says test fits all look good.

What settings do you have your printer set at? I know each printer will be different, but just curious. Also, Simplify3D made all the difference. Those settings were very close right out the gate. I'm guessing if he had a Prusa all would be perfect.

I was wondering what power set up you plan on going with. I e-mailed the guys here at Flite Test and they said they hoped to have a power pack for this build by March, but couldn't guarantee it.

Thanks
Graham

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Andre,
My best friend got a CR-10 for Christmas and I was able to convince him to print me the big Spitfire as his first major print. After days of tweaking the settings, he seems to have it dialed in and is almost done with the left wing. He says test fits all look good.

What settings do you have your printer set at? I know each printer will be different, but just curious. Also, Simplify3D made all the difference. Those settings were very close right out the gate. I'm guessing if he had a Prusa all would be perfect.

I was wondering what power set up you plan on going with. I e-mailed the guys here at Flite Test and they said they hoped to have a power pack for this build by March, but couldn't guarantee it.

Thanks
Graham

Power setup, I'll have to update the first entry soon.

Motor:
Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 5055-430KV Brushless Outrunner Motor

ESC:
Castle Creations TALON 90 AMP ESC, 6S / 25.2V WITH 20 AMP BEC

Prop:
Aerostar Electric Series Wood Propeller 16x8 (1pc)

Battery:
ZIPPY Compact 6200mAh 6s 40c Lipo Pack w/ XT90

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Andre,

Thanks
Graham

I do a lot of tuning to make my settings in S3D work but its mainly speed and retraction changes.
Rest if about belts, alignments and bed levelling.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Dang, that sucker's HUGE compared to the version my dad and I printed out...post maiden flight video once it goes up!!!

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Dang, that sucker's HUGE compared to the version my dad and I printed out...post maiden flight video once it goes up!!!

Almost done the tail section and onto the wings.

Want to do a maintenance session on the printer first.
Maybe install the new bed I have.

Big Spit vs Little Spit
IMG_8265.jpg

Grahamiw

I do a lot of tuning to make my settings in S3D work but its mainly speed and retraction changes.
Rest if about belts, alignments and bed levelling.

Thanks Andre! We'll share pictures when we have the pieces. We found that retraction speed is key as well.

Grahamiw

Power setup, I'll have to update the first entry soon.

ESC:
Castle Creations TALON 90 AMP ESC, 6S / 25.2V WITH 20 AMP BEC

I saw this doesn't come with a choice of adapters, so I assume you do your own soldering. At least doing these are easier than doing batteries. I had a small two cell battery short on me back in my early naive days, and it wasn't pretty. After that I took the time to learn how to do it correctly: got the right paste, and a much better iron, and a cool jig that makes it really easy. Still doesn't mean I'm the best. I still get cold joints every so often, which especially sucks when you're at the field and the 12 year old goes to disconnect the battery, only to have one of the leads come out. My field box contains electrical tape for just such an occurrence. But it takes a lot of practice to get consistent solder joints, and I just don't do it often enough. But since the 70amp ESC is out of stock, I may have to go your route, I have some XT90 connectors lying around.

Also, a couple of questions:

• Can post the final weight when it's all assembled, motor, battery, etc. I'll do the same. I'm curious to see if how an individual printer prints will make a difference on weight. We, too, are using the 3D Solutech filament. I'll also note my final set up/weight.
  • With only a 70g difference between the 4500 and the 6200, the bigger battery may be the way to go as well (plus the price difference isn't much). How much flight time do you think the 6200 will add? 3-5mins?
  • Why did you choose to go with the longer prop?

Thanks

Here are photos of the ailerons and flaps that just finished printing.

Flaps.jpg Ailerons.jpg

Here is the left wing. I'll try and organize them better and get a better shot.
Left Wing.jpg

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
ESC:
That is what came with the ESC, I'll either use a XT90 - EC5 adaptor or just put on a 90.

Weight:
So far my parts are coming out a few grams heavier but I'm not too worried about that.

Battery:
I bought the batteries for my Freewing BAE Hawk 70mm edf ;-) but talking to FT Alex the Spitfire they flew had a huge pack so I figured I'm in good shape. I'm expecting 4-5 minutes.

Prop:
I went with a 2 blade prop. Want max efficiency and of I have to bell land I can.
They called for a 15x8 3 bladed prop so when you go to a 2 bladed you prop up.

A.

I saw this doesn't come with a choice of adapters, so I assume you do your own soldering. At least doing these are easier than doing batteries. I had a small two cell battery short on me back in my early naive days, and it wasn't pretty. After that I took the time to learn how to do it correctly: got the right paste, and a much better iron, and a cool jig that makes it really easy. Still doesn't mean I'm the best. I still get cold joints every so often, which especially sucks when you're at the field and the 12 year old goes to disconnect the battery, only to have one of the leads come out. My field box contains electrical tape for just such an occurrence. But it takes a lot of practice to get consistent solder joints, and I just don't do it often enough. But since the 70amp ESC is out of stock, I may have to go your route, I have some XT90 connectors lying around.

Also, a couple of questions:

• Can post the final weight when it's all assembled, motor, battery, etc. I'll do the same. I'm curious to see if how an individual printer prints will make a difference on weight. We, too, are using the 3D Solutech filament. I'll also note my final set up/weight.
  • With only a 70g difference between the 4500 and the 6200, the bigger battery may be the way to go as well (plus the price difference isn't much). How much flight time do you think the 6200 will add? 3-5mins?
  • Why did you choose to go with the longer prop?

Thanks

Here are photos of the ailerons and flaps that just finished printing.

View attachment 101470 View attachment 101471

Here is the left wing. I'll try and organize them better and get a better shot.
View attachment 101472

flitetest

Administrator
Admin
Someones got the 3D print itch that needs scratching! ;) Love it andre! Can't wait to see how it all comes out!

Blessings friend,
Stefan

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Hey stefan aren't you supposed to be wo... oh never mind, I forgot that you have the best job in the world;)

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
I think FT should do a monster power pack with the SK3 500 kv motor and start making 200% models of their current designs. It would be a great hit at flite fest and for those who crave something bigger.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Someones got the 3D print itch that needs scratching! ;) Love it andre! Can't wait to see how it all comes out!

Blessings friend,
Stefan

If all goes as planned, the Spitfire will be coming with me to FF Ohio 2018.