3DLabPrint Supermarine Spitfire MkIX

Grahamiw

One half of the wing done printing (gluing to come). 1CB87E7E-DC02-43FB-BDA4-44F39670665A.jpeg

Last edited:

Verris

Jeeze, I just started printing the smaller spitfire. Glad I went with the small one that thing is massive. It wouldn't fit in my car.

JGplanes

Careful, and don’t let it sit in the hot car too long. We lost too many 3d printed planes that way last year. To bad...

Looks awesome! I just can’t afford the power pack, much less the filament.

JG

Grahamiw

Thats very nice, curious about the final weight!

I am too. The wing came in a little heavy. My friend, who's doing all the printing, tweaked the settings when starting the fuselage and now the parts are coming in spot on for the listed weight in the user guide. The prints aren't as smooth, but the weight savings are worth it. Once I have all the pieces I'll weigh it without any electronics in it, then weigh it once everything is inside, including the battery.

Grahamiw

Darn Andre, that looks nasty. My buddy would kill me if that ever happened to this plane. The prints take forever.

Last edited by a moderator:

JGplanes

Yep, that’s what I was referring to. I watched you walk the flightline with it, but never saw it fly. Next thing I know you’re talking on the podcast about how it melted.

Any ideas how to keep this from happening other than keeping it in the cooler environment?

JG

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Yep, that’s what I was referring to. I watched you walk the flightline with it, but never saw it fly. Next thing I know you’re talking on the podcast about how it melted.

Any ideas how to keep this from happening other than keeping it in the cooler environment?

JG

Don't leave a rubber band around it in a hot car :)

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
The whole battery compartment collapsed.
Other wise I would have flown it ;)

So for the big plane I will make a sleeve to keep it protected from the heat.
Heating duct insulation stuff, I make some for my radian wings.

Plus I wont let the plane stay in my car.

Lots of work still to be done.

Grahamiw

Fuselage Prints

Morning Andre,
When you printed the fuselage, did you have issues with adhesion (besides what you noted in your Friday Flying update 125)? We've had a few failures where the printer knocked the print out of position. Some of the prints have such a small footprint. We're trying rafts (but they use a ton of filament). Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Graham

Last edited:

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Morning Andre,
When you printed the fuselage, did you have issues with adhesion (besides what you noted in your Friday Flying update 125)? We've had a few failures where the printer knocked the print out of position. Some of the prints have such a small footprint. We're trying rafts (but they use a ton of filament). Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Graham

Use helper discs, or something like them in places where you have poor adhesion. Linking them together can also help out tall skinny stuff so it doesn't get knocked over.

BSlut9j.jpg

They're basically just .2mm high round stl's, though you can find lots of variations if you search thingiverse.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:217725

Doesn't use much filament, is easier to clean off the bottom of a print than a full brim, and can keep the most stubborn things stuck down.

Flynn

I have noticed during printing that sometimes when an inner brace portion or tab starts sometimes it will angle or curve up slightly. Then after a couple passes the print head will hit into that. Adding a Z lift setting will fix that but it will add to the time.