3M Super 77 tips

Jabberwo

Tried my first paint job on DTFB. Printed out some stars, cut them out, sprayed 3M Super 77 on them, and affixed them to tail and wing - going for a Normandy Invasion theme on my Chuck Glider.

Problem is the glue is so strong either the printer paper is separating or the paper on the DTFB is delaminating! Looks like poop.

Any tips on how I can do this better? I got the idea from seeing a flite test video where they used 77.

Attachments

• 2B8E8EBB-660B-4BAA-A11E-77FACF93AB14.jpeg
    2B8E8EBB-660B-4BAA-A11E-77FACF93AB14.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • F944604A-5FC8-4AE5-B46B-B68F5B3F1BE7.jpeg
    F944604A-5FC8-4AE5-B46B-B68F5B3F1BE7.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

10Wheeler

Tried my first paint job on DTFB. Printed out some stars, cut them out, sprayed 3M Super 77 on them, and affixed them to tail and wing - going for a Normandy Invasion theme on my Chuck Glider.

Problem is the glue is so strong either the printer paper is separating or the paper on the DTFB is delaminating! Looks like poop.

Any tips on how I can do this better? I got the idea from seeing a flite test video where they used 77.
Try using Borden brand spray glue. It does not leave a visible residue like the 3M. I have no idea if it will solve your problem, but might be worth a try.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
In the video, I think they used posterboard. It is slightly stronger and might not separate. Also, they say to let the super77 sit for about 5 minutes so that it isn’t too sticky.

Headbang

Master member
Super 77 only requires a very light spray, like 1 quick swipe. And let it sit for few mins before application. Same goes for using it to double up layers of foam board. Just a very little bit goes a long way!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
It's the moisture in the glue delaminating the paper from the foam core. When they apply the rasterize skins all the paper comes off the surface to apply the skin. I thought it was just save weight in the beginning but then I messed up on a KFm wing, then tried to do it with the paper off and it worked. Just like spray paint too the bare foam will degrade from the propellants in the aerosol cans.

The guys are right though, Just a quick swipe glossing of the spray over the paper from a foot or further away and let it set for a couple of minutes, Best adhesion when you do both surfaces.

I also tried the Gorilla Glue brand spray adhesive once and I didn't like it compared to the Elmers brand, which wasn't super ideal but it did stick well. I think it's all in the technique or the process, not so much the glue, mostly the operator lol

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Super 77 only requires a very light spray, like 1 quick swipe. And let it sit for few mins before application. Same goes for using it to double up layers of foam board. Just a very little bit goes a long way!
I’ve always used the white gorilla for attaching layers of foam board, but it sounds like a squirt of super 77, let it sit for a min or two, then attach the two pieces will work just as well and be easier, right?

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I use super 77 to temporarily adhere my plans for cutting. spraying on one side only. it is a contact adhesive like when laminating a counter top surface to a substrate they work instantly, when applied to both sides and given a moment for the solvents to vent-off, then good luck getting them apart! but one side only it just stays.. tacky.

Headbang

Master member
I’ve always used the white gorilla for attaching layers of foam board, but it sounds like a squirt of super 77, let it sit for a min or two, then attach the two pieces will work just as well and be easier, right?
For straight stiff sections that would work, would be more rigid. Advantage to super 77 is if you strip the paper and laminate 2 pieces, it can still be formed. This is very handy in certain situations, like making 200% planes.

Piotrsko

Master member
Another advantage to spray sticky is you can form a piece, add the other formed pieces and the sticky makes the formed assembly more rigid. Kinda just like what @Headbang just said but bent.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but for best results spray whatever adhesive on the paper template or decal and then apply that to the DTFB. Don't spray the adhesive on the DTFB directly. Just creates a mess of over spray that sucks to deal with.

If you are using the spray to stick foam board pieces together, that's not an option of course - but me and spray adhesive have never been good enough friends to try that.

Wildthing

Legendary member
I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but for best results spray whatever adhesive on the paper template or decal and then apply that to the DTFB. Don't spray the adhesive on the DTFB directly. Just creates a mess of over spray that sucks to deal with.

If you are using the spray to stick foam board pieces together, that's not an option of course - but me and spray adhesive have never been good enough friends to try that.

Well if you are doing doublers I would say off comes the paper then use the 3M . I use it that way all the time and even for spars and have good success.