3meter FT Shinden (will not use imperial units if possible :)

Would you be interested in plans for a master series one about the size of the FT ones?

• No, without landing Gear

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No (the one above is a typo;)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Wow! The most I’ve used was 7 on the P-38. However, me and my buddy are going to be building a 200% or possibly a 300% P-38 in the near future so that’s gonna put us in at, well, a TON of sheets. And I thought the most expensive part was going to be the two motors... :unsure::unsure::ROFLMAO:

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Anybody have any idea of how to weigh and balance this plane? It may take 6 people😉 Also, I will be releasing the stl files for the control horns. They are essentially the FT ones, but instead of holes there are slight indentations for where you can add a hole for the pushrod to attatch.

Michael9865

Elite member
Anybody have any idea of how to weigh and balance this plane? It may take 6 people😉 Also, I will be releasing the stl files for the control horns. They are essentially the FT ones, but instead of holes there are slight indentations for where you can add a hole for the pushrod to attatch.

This may work for you, I saw someone post this in the forums, here or in RCGroups.

7F92A6AD-435F-43B5-B784-700F6A0020E3.jpeg

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor

Here is how I balance the big stuff. Would be pretty easy to put a scale on the lines and lift the airframe to weigh as well.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I cut off the factory soldering from the motor and ESC. I plan to remove the heat shrink from the ESC and resolder on longer wires. I may also add a heat sync, since I noticef this doesn't have one, and it should for this size. I'll also get some extra wire to make my battery harness for parrallel so that I can double my capacity. I'll be using XT90 for everything.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I'm going to go to Hobbytown, Home Depot, and Lowes to get another 15 sheets of foam board, the poplar spars, duct tape, wheels, wheel collars, wire, screws, plywood, 19" props (if in stock), Bullet connectors, electrical wire, and the coroplast for the shear webbing. Also, for the first flight I plan to not paint it in likely event repairs will be needed. It turns out the ESC did have a heat sync bellow the cover. The problem with resoldering is that the wires a soldered between two boards, so I may end up soldering onto existing wire. It may be better to just leave the ESC uncovered because it will be inside the plane and shielded from the elements, and then I wouldn't have to cut as much of a hole in the plane for airflow.
1589486679521.png

1589486741874.png
1589486811999.png

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
An update on the smaller one I plan to design after I get the large Shinden flying well: I'll design a hand toss one first, and later update the resource for an optional landing gear. As for the large Shinden, I have a feeling it will end up really nose heavy, so I will move the wing a few centimeters further forward to counter that. I think that for the 3d printed motor mount I will design some circular or triangular holes to allow for cooling.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I've reinforced the frontmost fuselage section, and glued on the canard. I also started work on one segment of the trailing edge spar. It is gluef together with 30minute epoxy. Tommorrow I plane to skin the fuselage area over the canard, and make another trailing edge spar.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I'll probably be able to start building again after next weekend since I have to stop by Home Depot to get some more wood (1/3 of it was warped). I'm thinking of partially tearing apart the rear most fuselage section because it doesn't look right, and re doing the formers better this time. I also need to get some coroplast.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I still haven't been able do go to Home Depot to get the wood, but I have a design update. I may give the fins some "suspension" to make ladings less difficult. I have a few designs for it, one is to put very stiff suspension on the little wheels, and the other is to make the whole fin move up and down.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I've decided to fiberglass parts of the wing and the V-stab fins for added strength, I'll use mid weight fiberglass and basically do the technique in the Flite Test video.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Now thay I know FF '21 is on I've restarted work on this. I've removed the packing tape shoddy hinges and replaced it with more accurately cut and taped hinge tape. Next I sealed the each part to the foam board with heat. Next step is redoing the nose to make it look less ugly and starting work on the mechanism for attatching individual fuselage segments. Now I'm leaning towards a triple redundant system of magnets, wooden dowels slotting into 3d printed parts, baswood wood stock, and tape. The last thing I want is the rear end falling off the plane during Flite Fest ;)
image.jpg
image.jpg

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Also, I have some new plans for the wing mount system:
image.jpg

These should be good for keeping the outboard wing parts from flying off during a barrel roll. The rope can also be extra security for holding fuselage parts, batteries, and the wing where it attatches to the fuselage in place.

Last edited:

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Nosecone work has starred after I removed the old skin for being too ugly, I also need to make either a 3d printed or pink foam nosecone for it. I've included 2USD and my phone number for whoever is able to find the plane if it crashes at FF'21 inside the nose since I expect that part to be destroyed.
image.jpg

image.jpg