3meter FT Shinden (will not use imperial units if possible :)

Would you be interested in plans for a master series one about the size of the FT ones?

• No, without landing Gear

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No (the one above is a typo;)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
So, something weird happened to the dremel while I was cutting. One second perfectly fine, the next second this:
image.jpg

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
It turns out that the price of extra 4s 4000's to run the smaller motor on 4s would actually more or less equal the price of just getting a larger motor and running it off of my current 6s 4000 packs wired to make a 12s 8000. I decided to get the larger motor so that it can arrive with some time to spare before Flite Fest.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
The wood, servos, motor, and huge prop arrived today. Tomorrow I'll cut out the wood for the spars and motor mount, then start doing some tests over the weekend. While the spars a curing, I'll cut the foam board for the wings using the measurements from a fusion 360 sketch.
(multiplex shark for scale)
7C413942-483B-4A84-B67A-66D31D70B4BE.jpeg

(motor and esc on the really thourough esc manual)
5D2F2F1D-22E3-4305-978D-A4703A6A1E4C.jpeg

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I've got my motor mount and a spare cut, and after I finish cutting the spars I'll use any leftover wood as a reinforcement for the wing mount and motor mount.
image.jpg

since I won't be able to cut the other wood pieces until Monday, I will cut out all the foam board for the wings this weekend.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
All the connectors are soldered and I programmed the ESC (it orignally came set up for helis). I tested out the motor and it's running great, so nexts step is soldering my crazy wire extension to make a 12s 8000. I can't cut out the wing sections today because all my razorblades are dull 😅
image.jpg

cyclone3350

Master member
The wood, servos, motor, and huge prop arrived today. Tomorrow I'll cut out the wood for the spars and motor mount, then start doing some tests over the weekend. While the spars a curing, I'll cut the foam board for the wings using the measurements from a fusion 360 sketch.
View attachment 202410
(motor and esc on the really thourough esc manual) View attachment 202411
I have to ask. What is that glider U have there in the back ground?

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Here's the plans for each spar type. They'll be cut out tomorrow, and all the parts should be glued in a few days (I don't have enough clamps to do them all at once).
image.jpg

I also made progress with the fuselage joiner system by gluing in both joiner boxes and installing one of many blind nuts which will be important in the future.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

for the top skom of the wings, I plan to run a piece of pcking tape from the top TE all the way around the LE to the bottom TE in several locations to prevent this getting "stuka'd"

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
The expanding foam worked perfectly. I had drilled some pressure relief/air holes which likely helped. I also drilled one test hole as far away from any air holes as possible, and underneath was solid foam, so it cured pretty well.
image.jpg
image.jpg

The box with all the excess foam torn off. I'll have to scrape the extra bits off too.

Last edited:

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I wanted to make sure I had all my numbers correct for Ecalc since I'm going to build in a hardpoint to the wing for ladder balancing soon, so I used a fusion model instead of a scaled up print out of the Shinden. The CG% I got was the same as on the little model shinden, so I'm pretty certain I have a good CG. Almost all of the dry mass of the plane is ahead of the cg, so hopefully all those batteries should balance it out.
1625017597050.png

Quinnyperks

Legendary member
View attachment 202410
(motor and esc on the really thourough esc manual) View attachment 202411
Wait... is that the receiver you bought from me?

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Here's what the spar joining system will look like. I can glue about a spar segment and a half a day, but since I'm out of town this weekend they won't all be finshed until Tuesday.
image.jpg