3meter FT Shinden (will not use imperial units if possible :)

Would you be interested in plans for a master series one about the size of the FT ones?

• No, without landing Gear

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No (the one above is a typo;)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I wanted to build something huge for next years Flite Fest and I don't want it to crash. I asked Stefan at Flite Fest wether I should build a giant Shinden or a giant Pun Jet, and he said that the giant Shinden would probably fly better, plus I could enter it into a nearby giant scale warbird event. I haven't stared building yet because i'm not sure if they will come out with the monster foam or not. The motor that I had in mind was this one https://www.hobbypartz.com/66p-188-gt5325-11-kv260.html. I am either going to power it off of 6s or 8s. This is my first large electric build so I don't know which battery size would be needed. I will build it with the foam molding techniques for the wing and most of the fuselage because it will be more scale. The main thing that I am not sure about is how to put the retracts in with a long enough landing gear wire that won't flex. the Full scale had really large landing gear and I don't know which type of metal rod to use
1568569893606.png
1568569961217.png
. It will use the same dowel spar system as in the giant Spitfire and Cruiser from a while ago. It will probably have the center of the wing permanently attached for strength and the ends of the ing will come off. The other problem is I have no idea where this will balance because it will have an airfoil that isn't eliptical unlike the real one. Thanks for any help.

Upload.wikimedia.org. N. p., 2019. Web. 15 Sept. 2019.
Modelingmadness.com. N. p., 2019. Web. 15 Sept. 2019.

Last edited:

whackflyer

Master member
I predict a pun jet would fly like a giant teddy bear. I scaled up the pun jet to 21.5 inches and flew it on an f pack, it’s pretty much the most trainerlike plane I’ve ever flown! Quite ironic as the small one is squirrelly and twitchy. It’d be hilarious to see a giant pun jet!

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I predict a pun jet would fly like a giant teddy bear. I scaled up the pun jet to 21.5 inches and flew it on an f pack, it’s pretty much the most trainerlike plane I’ve ever flown! Quite ironic as the small one is squirrelly and twitchy. It’d be hilarious to see a giant pun jet!
maybe next year at a potentially smaller FPV platform, I wanted to bring a giant foam board plane to a balsa giant scale event.

Last edited:

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
For the gear, my knowledge is only seeing giant class planes at the giant class field I fly at. Typically at that scale you are using small diameter tube or pipe. and not rod, however CF rods work too. The pipe is lighter and as strong. plus it allows for some articulation you may want. I thought about entering the Shinden in the FTFC20 modern classic. as there is a neat balsa plan out there.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
For the gear, my knowledge is only seeing giant class planes at the giant class field I fly at. Typically at that scale you are using small diameter tube or pipe. and not rod, however CF rods work too. The pipe is lighter and as strong. plus it allows for some articulation you may want. I thought about entering the Shinden in the FTFC20 modern classic. as there is a neat balsa plan out there.
thanks, because you seem to know a lot more about these planes than I do do you know what size of retracts and approximate diameter I should use? I will probably have some very hard landings and the long gear may have some torque with scale wheels. Thanks.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
https://store.flitetest.com/scratch...v5-brushless-esc-opto-hwa30201701-snd/p982907 I was thinking that this would would be an economical ESC for this build and that any issues that it has should be easily resolved. Since this is a pusher aircraft Having a more than powerful enough ESC is probably a good thing because otherwise it may not get enough airflow. https://www.getfpv.com/lumenier-5200mah-4s-35c-lipo-battery.html The other part of my plan is to use two 4s batteries to create a 8 cell 5200mah lipo. Should that be enough capacity for this plane to have five minute flights?

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
So it looks like they will start selling monster foam soon so once that is ready I will start work. Instead of getting the electronics first I will build the model, weigh it, then decide on a motor and retracts.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I have decided that unless the aircraft flies great I will take it up for the last combat at next years Flite Fest. That way I can improve it when it crashes. ;)
I will also put red monokote for the sun logo instead of paint.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Also, have the plans for the shin den been released with out me knowing?
I don't think so I will be doing this from scratch with the molding techniques anyway though. It would be cool to see the old plans released because the one in Local Fiend's video seems to have flown pretty well.

OliverW

Legendary member
I don't think so I will be doing this from scratch with the molding techniques anyway though. It would be cool to see the old plans released because the one in Local Fiend's video seems to have flown pretty well.
I talked with localfiend last year at an event and he said the shinden would be out in a week. Assuming many things came up.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
So now that Flite Test came out with Maker Foam I will try to convince my local hobbytown to get sone sheets. I don't need the giant box, and I can't afford it anyway. The reason I need to get some of the larger foam first is that the whole plane will be based on a cenert box spar that will be reinforced with basswood. Everything from the motor to the wing and nose gear will be attached to the box, so the stronger the better. I still don't know what to do for the retracts, but those can wait.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I am going to see if anyone in my local area is interested in buying the thicker foam board from Hobbytown. If I get enough people my local Hobbytown might get a package of of it. If not then I can make the box fuselage support out of the foam board and doublers to keep it strong. Either way it will use basswood supports.

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
I still don't know what to do for the retracts, but those can wait.

This is quite a large build so I'd recommend thinking about the gear earlier rather than later. A few things I'd recommend considering:
  • What AUW are you anticipating? Even a FB model at this size can easily hit 20+ lbs. You'll need to use gear that can handle that kind of weight and design the gear mount into the structure/spars for the wing to spread the load out.
  • The Shinden has some pretty long legs and you likely wont be able to cheat much on them due to the need for ground clearance on the prop, particularly during rotation and landing. Off the shelf may be hard to find so you'll probably have to build your own struts.
    • CF tube is light and strong but relatively brittle. You'll likely need to use pretty solid aluminum or steel tube, especially if the weight starts to get up there. You MIGHT be able to get away with big music wire struts but they will be heavy too. You'll need big wheels as well. Dave brown has a great line of large foam wheels that are really lightweight, but you can't leave the model sitting on them for long periods of time without getting flat spots. I'd definitely check them out.
    • Whatever material you go with for the struts, the length, weight of the material, and weight of the wheel will likely mean you'll need a BIG retract unit. Hobbyking has some at reasonable prices, but I would look for ones that are rated for a fair amount MORE than you expect this to come in at. They need to be strong enough to pull up all of that weight.
  • Consider WHERE you are going to fly her. The runway at Flite Fest last year was MUCH better than in previous years and many of us were able to fly heavy warbirds with wheels around 4". Previous years were much rougher. Who knows what the conditions will be next year. That field is rough though and your gear (particularly that LONG nose gear) will take a beating. Struts, Trunions, and mounts will have to be built to handle it. Think about oversizing the wheels from scale if you can.
As someone who has a 20lb P-40 model about the same size as this build I can tell you that getting reliable gear for her was a huge headache and in the end cost $$$$. A lot of $$$$ :cry:. If you want to fly her for more events than just FF and have her last you'll need to build her with this stuff in mind. You COULD make her a belly lander, make the lower portions of the wing vertical stabilizers "breakaway" so they slide off on landing, and run a folding prop. Would save a TON of weight and complexity. You could then use a bungee launch setup to get her airborne (to keep yourself or a volunteer away from that prop).

Just my 2 cents. I'm happy to discuss landing hear options. Just let me know if you have questions and want to bounce ideas off the community.