3rd ever flying session, hooked!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I actually had a bad crash with my ft edge yesterday. It was dusk and I was flying pretty far away into the sunset. I lost orientation and used all my altitude (which was really high) trying to get orientation. I didn’t find it and ended up with this...
One tip I can give is pull back on your elevator stick when you’re not sure what your plane is up too. Usually by how the plane reacts I can tell it’s orientation.

Attachments

• C77D2B6B-9B9D-4CAD-AE5C-E85681A7B917.jpeg
    C77D2B6B-9B9D-4CAD-AE5C-E85681A7B917.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Yea the elevator has saved my a few times in the past. The old pull back on the reins thing.

A little glue and the edge should be all good, looks like it was a clean break at the wings, totally fixable. Would you fix something like that or build a new one?

I want to go flying tonight but got a late start to dinner again. see how it goes

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
You're right. An easy fix and she'll be back in the air! have fun flying - I just did with my simple scout!
Check this out. Just maidened my Simple Scout. What a flight. So happy with the build. Not a click of trim upon hand launch, straight and true, steady climb at a 30 degree incline. So excited about how nice it took off... I was nervous to begin with to try it so i took out the Mini Scout first just to get my bearings, build confidence, and to make sure the systems are communicating. Burned 2 batteries in the mini before i went to the SS. Simple Scout was checked and double checked for CG and control surfaces, rates, all the good stuff. Like I said took off so nice, got it up to some altitude and banked right, did a 90 degree turn and tried to correct to level, no left... WHAT?!!! Switched to hi rate just in case it was a lack of left exposure on the rudder, NO LEFT. In a dive, ground coming quick so shut down throttle and let it hit. Tried up elevator but wasn't enough air speed or reaction time to recover. Nose dive and cart wheel... and this:
20190812_213542.jpg

Lost a servo in the cartwheel. It was getting dark so I couldn't find it. Looks like a clean enough break to fix with HG. 10 seconds of glory. LOVE THIS HOBBY!

How did yours go?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Aww, too bad. Well it shouldn’t be too hard to repair. Mine went great! I burned 3 batteries in it and never crashed. I did previously have a receiver failure (twice) resulting in two nose dives into the ground. A bit of balsa and hot glue fixed her up in no time though. The scout sure is a great flying plane like you said. Here’s a pic of mine - a “simple stick”. (Mash up of simple scout and hangar 9 ultra stick)

Attachments

• 51C2CD07-87D7-4C0F-9B6E-90E7485D3A90.jpeg
    51C2CD07-87D7-4C0F-9B6E-90E7485D3A90.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Aww, too bad. Well it shouldn’t be too hard to repair. Mine went great! I burned 3 batteries in it and never crashed. I did previously have a receiver failure (twice) resulting in two nose dives into the ground. A bit of balsa and hot glue fixed her up in no time though. The scout sure is a great flying plane like you said. Here’s a pic of mine - a “simple stick”. (Mash up of simple scout and hangar 9 ultra stick)
I like the sharpie paint job you have on it too. I tend to color mine that way as well. Its so much easier then paint. Today i am going to see how my other planes fair in the sky, the ones I have been to scared to take up. They are gonna hafta get some airtime at some point. Maybe I'll get lucky and bring back a survivor. Have fun with yours today as well

kilroy07

Legendary member
Check this out. Just maidened my Simple Scout. What a flight. So happy with the build. Not a click of trim upon hand launch, straight and true, steady climb at a 30 degree incline. So excited about how nice it took off... I was nervous to begin with to try it so i took out the Mini Scout first just to get my bearings, build confidence, and to make sure the systems are communicating. Burned 2 batteries in the mini before i went to the SS. Simple Scout was checked and double checked for CG and control surfaces, rates, all the good stuff. Like I said took off so nice, got it up to some altitude and banked right, did a 90 degree turn and tried to correct to level, no left... WHAT?!!! Switched to hi rate just in case it was a lack of left exposure on the rudder, NO LEFT. In a dive, ground coming quick so shut down throttle and let it hit. Tried up elevator but wasn't enough air speed or reaction time to recover. Nose dive and cart wheel... and this:
View attachment 139116
Lost a servo in the cartwheel. It was getting dark so I couldn't find it. Looks like a clean enough break to fix with HG. 10 seconds of glory. LOVE THIS HOBBY!

How did yours go?
I've given up on plastic gear servos... If you don't mind ordering from china... (and waiting a month...) you can find some cheap metal gear for around $2-3 each.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/326...chweb0_0,searchweb201602_1,searchweb201603_52
I've had MUCH better luck with these... Some lasting through a couple Simple Scouts... (yes, I've had (and crashed) a few!) :LOL:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Battleaxe, sorry about your plane. How did you break the tail off and not mess up the wings, rudder, etc
I know right. When it came down it was wing tip that hit first, nose second, and the momentum in the cart wheel in combination with the tail finally hitting the ground tore it off. Lookin at it closer this morning I found some weak points in my construction of the tail. 1) cutting into the fuse for the servos right under the LE of the hstab weakens the fuse. 2) not using any HG in the small 1" connection between the hstab and the top plate didn't help either. Both of these were definitely contributing factors as to why it tore off so easy. As to why it wouldn't turn left is still a mystery. I did all my checks before flight and it checked out. Even post crash i checked it all again and it all worked, especially the rudder. No grinding or noises from the servo, no flexing of the control rods or control horns. The only thing I can think of that would be remotely possible would be LOS, but why in just one direction and two attempts in a row with all other signals working... head scratcher.

Just set up the SHRUBSMACKER, grifflyer's baby storch design. I have it set up for 4 channel which is a bit of a stretch for me at this point, but the minis have been really good to me so far. I am also gonna set up the Spitfire which is standard size just like the Scout and is a 3 channel AET. Gonna see what that one gives me as well. rained last night though so I am waiting for it to dry up a bit before heading out. Gives me time to get things ready and possibly fix the Scout.

Are you guys flyin today? I know Hangar is, just like everyday lol, lives the life

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Hopefully I can fix my spitfire receiver placement issues and fly her again. And if you can, I’d recommend fixing up your scout and flying it again - it’s the second easiest FT model I’ve ever flown (after the old speedster). Good luck and have fun!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Hopefully I can fix my spitfire receiver placement issues and fly her again. And if you can, I’d recommend fixing up your scout and flying it again - it’s the second easiest FT model I’ve ever flown (after the old speedster). Good luck and have fun!
I did glue the tail back on but now i am short a servo for it so i will fly it, just either need to crash some other planes for parts (hence why the Spit is goin out today ;):cool:) or buy more servos. I still have the faithful mini version too, less drama from that little girl lol. Thx and have fun

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I did glue the tail back on but now i am short a servo for it so i will fly it, just either need to crash some other planes for parts (hence why the Spit is goin out today ;):cool:) or buy more servos. I still have the faithful mini version too, less drama from that little girl lol. Thx and have fun
Well I flew my champ a bit and it ended up in some unexpected places, but it didn’t break! And then I crashed my scout. I have no idea what happened, but I already fixed it. I also worked a bit on my spitfire but it’s not ready yet. How did your flying go?

Attachments

• E9AAAD6F-7222-4AA6-9C41-4D663C17AD20.jpeg
    E9AAAD6F-7222-4AA6-9C41-4D663C17AD20.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
  • F08FBDF8-9DF7-4C55-852B-7B6A0A12AED9.jpeg
    F08FBDF8-9DF7-4C55-852B-7B6A0A12AED9.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 31642133-8829-465D-9650-A5C259D12E73.jpeg
    31642133-8829-465D-9650-A5C259D12E73.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 76609C4D-4679-4DC7-BB4B-113D6C523966.jpeg
    76609C4D-4679-4DC7-BB4B-113D6C523966.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Well I flew my champ a bit and it ended up in some unexpected places, but it didn’t break! And then I crashed my scout. I have no idea what happened, but I already fixed it. I also worked a bit on my spitfire but it’s not ready yet. How did your flying go?
Tonight was a sweet flying night, the gods of flight were shining upon me. Armed with full batteries and bug spray I headed out to the local ball diamond/playground with 2 planes I haven't maidened yet. Since last night was a hit and miss operation, I spent my day building another beta plane by mad_mechanic. Really just waiting for the wind to calm down so I could fly the Shrubsmacker and the Spit. Started with the Shrubsmacker, so much fun. For a little high wing it performed well. I could be biased to because it is my first 4 channel that i have had a successful flight with. 2 batteries worth actually. Did everything from loops, rolls, low level passes and every landing was smooth. This learning curve is getting easier with every flight.

Now the Spit, well I was apprehensive to tell you the truth, just from yesterdays debacle with the scout. But I pulled my balls outta my pocket and gave her an underhand toss into the abyss. She climbed and only took a couple clicks of trim on the ailerons and straightened out. Did some easy turns at a good altitude then i started to test her out. Stalls nice, has a good glide slope, probably has something to do with the extensive wing chord. I played a little with the throttle and low level passes at 3/4 speed. sounds as good as it looks as a warbird should. This was my first successful flight with a standard size plane, which really it was about time. This motor package I have owned for months and haven't had a proper flight yet, till tonight. Check this out though, once the plane was up now I was scared to land it. I did get her down with minimal damage, there was a chainlink fence that was coming up quick in the touchdown area. So my flying day was spectacular. I won't be able to sleep tonight good kinda flyin day. Can't wait to get out tomorrow. Regrettably no video tho, on either maiden, little woman had to work tonight so I couldn't get the vids.

Do you know much about 3D printing? This hobby has created a monster lol

Looks like your scout broke in the same place mine did, a bit of a weak point huh? Did you just directly glue it back on or did you reinforce it on the inside?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I’m so glad it went well for you! I love the spitfire - it just flies so well! The weather was amazing this evening, but that crash (4 min. in) brought it all to an end... I just glued the fuselage directly. And by the way, the whole plane is painted, no sharpie. I have since discovered the ease of using sharpies and have been putting them to good use. Lol - I really need the bug spray - I get bitten every time (it seems)😂

moret

Battleaxe, congratulations on a good day flying. Looking at the pictures you and The Hanger put up of the Scout and I wonder why I have not broke the tail off one of mine. I run clear packing tape down each corner on the bottom all the way. I do it on top from behind the wing to the tail. I have not broke a tail off any of my planes. I love the picture of the champ with just its tail sticking out of the bushes:)

have fun

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Battleaxe, congratulations on a good day flying. Looking at the pictures you and The Hanger put up of the Scout and I wonder why I have not broke the tail off one of mine. I run clear packing tape down each corner on the bottom all the way. I do it on top from behind the wing to the tail. I have not broke a tail off any of my planes. I love the picture of the champ with just its tail sticking out of the bushes:)

have fun
Yea the clear packing tape reinforcement is something i usually do but i haven't on these ones. When i first started building these planes I would tape the edges because the joints i glued looked so ragged and crappy, so it was more of an aesthetics thing. Now "using the table as my friend and a sanding block after the glue cools they look like there isn't even a joint there at all, so i stopped using the tape. But there is an obvious secondary reason for using it now, which makes sense since we use it on the powerpod firewall all the time. This hobby is full of lessons and I wouldn't be where i am in this hobby today without this forum that's for sure. Thx for reading