4 Metre Glider Scratch Build

What should I build next?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jackson T

Elite member
Cut out all the spar slots today! I decided to add a 3x3mm spar between the leading edge and the main spar to help keep the aerofoil shape, because there is no sheeting on these panels.
IMG20190705141011.jpg

Jackson T

Elite member
Guess what I did? I got excited and built the next wing panel on the old wing plan, so now I've got two left wing panels :confused:. This isn't actually the first time I've done this either.
IMG20190711113616.jpg

I'll try to break it all apart and reuse the parts, cause I can't be bothered making all those parts again.
I layed out all the pieces where they're going to be, and it looks awesome!
IMG20190711113414.jpg

Last edited:

Jackson T

Elite member
I finished re-building the right outermost wing panel.
IMG20190717102426.jpg

I won't be sheeting these outer panels to save weight, so I decided to add a 3mm square spar between the leading edge and the main spar to help keep the aerofoil shape.

Jackson T

Elite member
I cut out some angled plywood spars for the dihedral joints today. Two pieces will be glued in place as a balsa/ply sandwich in each joint. I know they look a bit dodgy, but that's because the different wing panels don't have exactly the same inner distance between spars, and they needed to be a snug fit.
IMG20190717102115.jpg
IMG20190717102050.jpg

IMG20190717102326.jpg

While I was sanding a wing panel on a belt sander, I ripped off the trailing edge and some of the balsa from a rib :(. To fix that, I glued a random balsa rectangle onto the rib and sanded it to match the aerofoil, then I glued the trailing edge back on.
IMG20190717113331.jpg

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Looking good! Don't forget about the vertical webbing between the top and bottom spars - I tragically lost a big model this year when the wing collapsed due to missing that vertical reinforcement that turns the two spars into a very strong I beam.

Jackson T

Elite member
Looking good! Don't forget about the vertical webbing between the top and bottom spars - I tragically lost a big model this year when the wing collapsed due to missing that vertical reinforcement that turns the two spars into a very strong I beam.
I'll be working on the shear webbing today. For some reason I was going to wait until I had glued the panels together, but I'm not sure why I was going to do that. What model did you lose, was it the vintage one with the cloth covering?

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I'll be working on the shear webbing today. For some reason I was going to wait until I had glued the panels together, but I'm not sure why I was going to do that. What model did you lose, was it the vintage one with the cloth covering?

Sadly yes, the big cloth covered beast with Snoopy and the dog house on top. :cry:

Jackson T

Elite member
On the bright side, I have room for more projects now! :LOL:
I wish I could say the same. Unless I crash and throw out my 4 meter glider, my hangars pretty full for now :confused:. What I would really like is to be able to design, build, and fly a model, than sell it for the price of the materials and go make another plane!