4 Metre Glider Scratch Build

What should I build next?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jackson T

Elite member
Not to worry, spinning does not add stress to a wing, it is actually less stressing because the wing isn't supporting ALL the weight, otherwise it wouldn't descend. It also doesn't build up speed much above stall speed either.
I didn't think about that, thanks for pointing it out. Wouldn't it still create some extra force from the spinning though, cause the circular motion requires centripetal force?

Jackson T

Elite member
I flew the big bird again today. After a week of (not so patiently) waiting for good weather, I finally had a beautiful day with only a very light breeze, and it was nice and sunny but not too hot. There were some nice fluffy clouds being formed over the morning, and the air definitely had some thermals. I tried to ride a few, but the plane is just too hard to maneuver with a 4m wingspan and no ailerons. Turning into thermals, adjusting the circle in thermals, and simply turning anywhere in a hurry isn't easy.

Once I was coming into land with about 4-5m altitude, and I hit a thermal and maybe gained half a metre or so while flying through it instead of losing half a metre. The problem is, without spoilers, that 1 metre difference carries the glider into a huge overshoot, so I needed to do a go-around. I think I might make a smaller (1.5m or so) balsa glider with ailerons specially made for thermalling. While I didn't successfully ride a thermal, I did see the potential for a heck of a lot of fun!

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
I tried to ride a few, but the plane is just too hard to maneuver with a 4m wingspan and no ailerons. Turning into thermals, adjusting the circle in thermals, and simply turning anywhere in a hurry isn't easy.

When I first got my little boat, I lamented how the wind and currents in high country lakes (above 9,000 ft) would push and twist my boat, fouling the fishing lines. Now 10 years later, I wonder how I could get those lines into the nooks and crannies of shore structure (where the fish are) without those winds and currents. Even on lakes I have never been on before, I can 'see' those currents and anticipate them and I steer my boat into them to use them to my fishing advantage.

My point being, thermals are just like currents in the lake. It takes experience to learn how to use them and ride them. Every one is a unique opportunity and gaining this experience IS the fun (for me anyway).

Give it a year. By this time next year you should have some dings and some gnarly patches in that plane, but thermals will be your BFF.

Piotrsko

Master member
A technique I used in my Pacer was to full left then right rudder wagging the plane like a fish with no major change of direction using fuselage drag. That does take a powerful rudder, and a bit of time to learn. One NEVER has enough rudder control.
Have you thought about rigging a one shot drag spoiler off of full down elevator to trigger it?

@bracesport : don't make me come down there to show you that you have thermals, because I will be also forced to make you fly something off a cliff face.

Jackson T

Elite member
When I first got my little boat, I lamented how the wind and currents in high country lakes (above 9,000 ft) would push and twist my boat, fouling the fishing lines. Now 10 years later, I wonder how I could get those lines into the nooks and crannies of shore structure (where the fish are) without those winds and currents. Even on lakes I have never been on before, I can 'see' those currents and anticipate them and I steer my boat into them to use them to my fishing advantage.

My point being, thermals are just like currents in the lake. It takes experience to learn how to use them and ride them. Every one is a unique opportunity and gaining this experience IS the fun (for me anyway).

Give it a year. By this time next year you should have some dings and some gnarly patches in that plane, but thermals will be your BFF.
I get ya. I'm just not sure if I want to get all those dings and gnarly patches in THIS plane :p. That's why I might build a smaller glider to teach myself thermalling with while not risking my "Pride and Joy". I'm really keen to learn thermalling with rc, and when I finish school and get a job I'm planning to get my full scale Glider Pilot Certificate. I went for an "Air Experience Flight" in a glider earlier this year, and I'm going back for another flight soon for my birthday. I videoed the experience from the cockpit, and my mum filmed the takeoff and landing from the ground. I made a playlist of the footage for my YouTube channel if anyone's interested.

Piotrsko

Master member
Depending on your closeness to a glider operation, and your country rules, gliders license is easy to get. Long story, but my daughter solo'ed gliders at 14.
We also had Civil Aeronautic Patrol (CAP) which provides various flight related educations and training.
Do a bit of research, should be common

Jackson T

Elite member
Depending on your closeness to a glider operation, and your country rules, gliders license is easy to get. Long story, but my daughter solo'ed gliders at 14.
We also had Civil Aeronautic Patrol (CAP) which provides various flight related educations and training.
Do a bit of research, should be common
Yeah, there's a gliding club about an hour away from where I live. They're pretty good, I can't wait to go back there! I'm already 16, so it's not age holding me back, but the $2000 AUD ($1360 USD) I need to get to solo.

Last edited:

Jackson T

Elite member
I took it for another flight today with my GoPro on the wing. It's a really cool view, but I forgot to clean the lens before takeoff :eek:.
4m Glider In-Flight Photo.jpg

Jackson T

Elite member
I had a very hairy landing yesterday. I way overshot, kinda stalled it, had the landing approach coming straight at my dad and I, and almost took our heads off :censored:. The motor is a bit loose, but other than that everything's fine, and the good news is I caught it all on my GoPro! Enjoy watching me stuff up :ROFLMAO:

Wildthing

Legendary member
I had a very hairy landing yesterday. I way overshot, kinda stalled it, had the landing approach coming straight at my dad and I, and almost took our heads off :censored:. The motor is a bit loose, but other than that everything's fine, and the good news is I caught it all on my GoPro! Enjoy watching me stuff up :ROFLMAO:

DUCK, love it

Jackson T

Elite member
I got some new FPV gear a few days ago. I originally just used an AIO camera, but now I have a proper setup with a 600mw vtx. I made a little mount out of foam and paddle-pop sticks so I can attach it to my glider without using glue so I can remove it whenever.
IMG20191018192127.jpg
IMG20191018192142.jpg

I'll hopefully test it out tomorrow morning, and I'll make sure I record some DVR footage.

Kwadjutsu

Sorry for having been MIA for some time. Congrats on the bird, it looks awesome and in the video it looks so majestic. 👍