40" Wingspan Cessna 185.. Which Powerplant setup???

JTerrori

Here is my first RC model design. It weights around 400g or 14 Ounces, it has a 40" wingspan. I want to know what motor is best for my airplane... I was thinking of a D2826-6 2200kv Outrunner Motor from HobbyKing. :confused: I also want to know what ESC would be best. I have an AR400 Spektrum receiver.
WP_000629.jpg

Last edited:

earthsciteach

One rule of thumb is 100 watts per pound. Be sure to include the weight of your motor, battery, etc when determining. Nice looking airplane. Welcome to the forum!!!

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Go down to the 1400 KV of the same motor and you will be fine. A 20 or 25A speed controller will be fine and a 800 - 1000 mAh battery to keep the wieght down for best flying.

quorneng

Master member
JTerrori
Does just the bare airframe weigh 14oz?

If this is so by the time you have added motor, battery, ESC, servos and radio I expect it will be nearly doubled.
At 100w/lb this would mean you are getting close to requiring 180W.
The motor is ok as it is capable of 175W but only when using a 3s LiPo.
At this sort of power level (17A) you really need 1500mAh capacity both to be kind to the battery and for a reasonable flight endurance.

Just my views but it is all going to depend on your planes total weight.

JTerrori

I'm kind of new in this hobby... So you mean I will need a 3s LiPo for the 2826 2200Kv motor? that is kind of heavy... Oh and by the way isn't it 11.1 V (From the 3C LiPo) too much voltage for my receiver? On the manual it says from 3.5-9.6V. I guess the ESC takes care of that... right?

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I'm kind of new in this hobby... So you mean I will need a 3s LiPo for the 2826 2200Kv motor? that is kind of heavy... Oh and by the way isn't it 11.1 V (From the 3C LiPo) too much voltage for my receiver? On the manual it says from 3.5-9.6V. I guess the ESC takes care of that... right?

Yes! You plug the battery into the ESC and it supplies 5V for the receiver and servos. And it gives 11.1 volts to the motor depending on the signal the ESC receives from the Receiver.

And yes, you'll need a 3S battery for that motor.