Help! 40 year old SIG Cadet goes electric

Millipede

So, my Dad gave me his SIG Cadet. I remember flying it with him when I was 10-12. That was nearly 40 years ago. He flew it with a .31 glow if I recall. When I got it, it was pretty much stripped to the airframe. I spent some time getting most of the wrinkles out of the monokote and generally cleaning it up. The control rods still seemed to function ok so I left them in. The servo tray ended up being a little cockeyed to allow for the existing rods but it seems to work well. I might rearrange things later if needed. My big issue is where to put the battery. I intended to put it where the gas tank used to be but the CG is too far forward. Where it needs to go is kind of already occupied. So, does anyone see an issue with creating a belly "duct" like on the P-51 that would house the battery? There seems to be plenty of room between the main gear.

Attachments

• IMG_6722.JPG
    IMG_6722.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6724.JPG
    IMG_6724.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6725.JPG
    IMG_6725.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6739.JPG
    IMG_6739.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6742.JPG
    IMG_6742.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6815.JPG
    IMG_6815.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6906.JPG
    IMG_6906.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

Millipede

Great looking plane. Nothing wrong with your solution. Have you considered moving the servos or motor aft?
With the motor mount I am using, the motor is all the way back. Possibly I could get another 1/2" if I took it out to the shop and re machined the mount but even that would not do much for CG overall. I could move the servos but I would have to basically disassemble the back of the plane and replace the control rods. I am hesitant to take it that far apart.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
With the motor mount I am using, the motor is all the way back. Possibly I could get another 1/2" if I took it out to the shop and re machined the mount but even that would not do much for CG overall. I could move the servos but I would have to basically disassemble the back of the plane and replace the control rods. I am hesitant to take it that far apart.
Then I would place the battery as you suggested.