Hello all,

I'm tuning my new 450 DYI setup today... here is what I have so far:
1) It is a 450 frame
2) 22-16 800Kv motors
3) 10x4.5 SF props
4) Afro 20A ESC configured with BlHelli
5) Nanze32 Full board
6) OSDoge
7) OrangeRX 433Mhz (yup, I have my HAM license)

Here are my current PID values:

set looptime = 1500. <-- suggest for OneShot

set pid_controller = 2
set p_pitch = 40 (shows as 3.2 in the GUI)
set i_pitch = 30. (shows as .030 in the GUI)
set d_pitch = 23 (shows as 0 in the GUI)
set p_roll = 40
set i_roll = 30
set d_roll = 23
set p_yaw = 85
set i_yaw = 45
set d_yaw = 0
set p_pitchf = 3.200
set i_pitchf = 0.300
set d_pitchf = 0.000
set p_rollf = 3.200
set i_rollf = 0.300
set d_rollf = 0.000
set p_yawf = 8.000
set i_yawf = 0.500
set d_yawf = 0.050
set level_horizon = 3.000
set level_angle = 5.000
set sensitivity_horizon = 75
set p_alt = 50
set i_alt = 0
set d_alt = 0
set p_level = 90
set i_level = 10
set d_level = 100
set p_vel = 120
set i_vel = 45
set d_vel = 1
set yaw_p_limit = 500

Basically I'm getting some odd motor sounds and still getting some drift.
I'll work on adding a video but if anyone has any early feedback I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

DirectGumby

As a note, I stopped trying to tune this PID controller as it was causing my engines to be super hot so I moved on to tuning PID controller 5

narcolepticltd

I unbuild stuff regularly
As a note, I stopped trying to tune this PID controller as it was causing my engines to be super hot so I moved on to tuning PID controller 5

not sure how the PID controller was making your motors overheat... sounds more like you're over propped or if the motors aren't able to take the voltage you're pushing, but I'm not in the know on anything other than the 250 class motors... What brand motor are you running and 3s or 4s? What's the all up weight?

As for the PID values from your dump above, if you're on PID 1 or PID 2, it will use the values that end in f as those 2 controllers are floating point.

for PID 2, bring your I value for pitch/roll up a bit and see if some of that drift goes away... you're sitting at 30, bring it up to at least 45 or 50 and see if that cleans it up some. (I'm assuming you're seeing drift in some wind while flying in rate mode, if you're talking about angle mode make sure the quad is stable in rate mode first).

ExperimentalRC

I think that the motors are overheating because of the timing on the blheli firmware. see if you can reprogram it to something lower. I have a nearly identical setup and the motors barely get warm.

narcolepticltd

I unbuild stuff regularly
I think that the motors are overheating because of the timing on the blheli firmware. see if you can reprogram it to something lower. I have a nearly identical setup and the motors barely get warm.

If you're running cleanflight, maybe share your PID settings to give him a good starting point? good call on the ESCs