450 Quad. Replaced KK 2.1 with SP Racing F3. Quad going crazy

lpinho

Hi all,

I decided to replace my KK 2.1 for a SP Racing F3, I wanted to try something that could give me some new features.

First, I've got an "old receiver", a FASST Orange. And my transmitter is a Futaba 6EX (2.4 Ghz). Its an old setup but it worked fine with a KK FC.

Basically, after updating the firmware and getting all wiring right (PWM mode), trimming the channels, recalibrating the ESCs, configuration mode (Angle and Horizon), I tried to make a maiden flight...

The quad was all over the place, I don't have any idea what I'm doing wrong.

I attached the images with several settings that I'm using.

Using KK the quad was stable.

Thanks for all the help,

L. Pinho

Configuration.jpg Modes.jpg Motors.jpg Receiver (All neutral except Throttle).jpg Sensors.jpg Setup.jpg

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
Hello Ipinho

Is the flight controller mounted so the arrow points to the front of the quad? If not you will need to adjust the board and sensor alignment values.

You will also need to setup your subtrims and end points on your radio. You need to set the sub trims for each channel in center to a value of 1500. You want your end points for each channel to go to 1000 and 2000 respectively. Last you need to set the dead band by flicking the sticks to one side or the other and make sure they return to 1500. If they do not you can adjust the dead band.

Next make sure you calibrate your accelerometer on the main setup page put the quad on a level and flat surface. Then press the calibrate button.

Do you have a 3 position mode switch or is it a 2 position? I would give a little more leeway on those sliders on the modes. Chances are if you didn't setup the radio yet you will be stuck in rate mode.

Hope this fixes your issues.

lpinho

Hi razor,

thanks for the reply, I have some questions to try to understand.

Code:
 Is the flight controller mounted so the arrow points to the front of the quad? If not you will need to adjust the board and sensor alignment values.
@Razor: Yes it is

Code:
You will also need to setup your subtrims and end points on your radio. You need to set the sub trims for each channel in center to a value of 1500. You want your end points for each channel to go to 1000 and 2000 respectively. Last you need to set the dead band by flicking the sticks to one side or the other and make sure they return to 1500. If they do not you can adjust the dead band.
@Razor:
- This are my end points:
- Pitch (1092~1916) Center: 1542
- Roll (1105~1912) Center: 1450
- Throttle (1005~1999) Center: 1548
- Yaw (1092~1913) Center: 1540

Do I really need to extend the end points from 1000 to 2000? Or are the values that I've got, acceptable.
And the center must be 1500 exact?

Code:
Next make sure you calibrate your accelerometer on the main setup page put the quad on a level and flat surface. Then press the calibrate button.
Already did

Code:
Do you have a 3 position mode switch or is it a 2 position? I would give a little more leeway on those sliders on the modes. Chances are if you didn't setup the radio yet you will be stuck in rate mode.

Its just a 2 position switch, I will increase the interval between the start and end sliders

Thanks again

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
Code:
@Razor:
- This are my end points:
- Pitch (1092~1916) Center: 1542
- Roll (1105~1912) Center: 1450
- Throttle (1005~1999) Center: 1548
- Yaw (1092~1913) Center: 1540

Do I really need to extend the end points from 1000 to 2000? Or are the values that I've got, acceptable.
And the center must be 1500 exact?

Yes you do and as close as possible. Try to get within 5 points of target. so 995-1005____1495-1505_____1995-2005. For your 2 position switch you would obviously just do the low and high point since there is no center.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Get those endpoints centered as close to 1500 as possible and don't touch the trims on your radio. Try flying/hovering in acro mode first to see if it's any better. If it's a poor PID issue then having level on will only overlay another set of PIDs to make it worse.

lpinho

Get those endpoints centered as close to 1500 as possible and don't touch the trims on your radio. Try flying/hovering in acro mode first to see if it's any better. If it's a poor PID issue then having level on will only overlay another set of PIDs to make it worse.

Hi Snarls,

thanks for your feedback, I'm able to increase and decrease the range of the controls, but I don't have any idea of how to make the center closer to 1500.

Is it possible with an old transmitter like mine? (Futaba 6EX)

Thanks again.

lpinho

Yes you do and as close as possible. Try to get within 5 points of target. so 995-1005____1495-1505_____1995-2005. For your 2 position switch you would obviously just do the low and high point since there is no center.

I'm just missing how to change the range to make the center closer to 1500...

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
I'm just missing how to change the range to make the center closer to 1500...

You need to set the subtrims in your radio to change the center point. If you don't have subtrims you could use the regular trims. A multi rotor doesn't really need to be tuned with trims anyhow. Almost everything is done with the flight controller now a days. Just don't touch the trims once you set them.

Last edited:

lpinho

You need to set the subtrims in your radio to change the center point. If you don't have subtrims you could use the regular trims. A multi rotor doesn't really need to be tuned with trims anyhow. Almost everything is done with the flight controller now a days. Just don't touch the trims once you set them.

Hi Razor,

no subtrims on my radio :(

I will see what I can do with the trim.

Thanks,

L. Pinho

lpinho

Hi Crafty Dan,

yes, that's the one

Didn't knew that TRIM function is really a sub-trim, thanks for that.

I will do this first and then work with the other settings to get values between 1000~2000 with a center at 1500.

Thanks to you all, just hope that this will solve the behavior of the quad.

L. Pinho