450 Quadcopter Frame From PolyFlex Pressure Pipe

kpixels

Antigravity or bust...
Poly Quadcopter Flips, Loops (Quadruple Roll?)

Alternative quadcopter frame made entirely from common materials available at hardware store. The frame cost about $5 and the rest of the electronics for this build is ~$100 online, not counting camera, batteries or remote controller.

I know it will cost some bucks to get goggles I could actually use (because I use readers) but some day.

You know Kpixels, Eachine makes a VRX that connects to your phone (or computer). It's about $30 (see Amazon), and if you get some 'Google Cardboard' type VR goggles for you phone, I think you could have a FPV setup pretty cheap. I haven't tried a VR setup, but the receiver works pretty well. Not much latency on my old Samsung phone, plus it works as a DVR.

I like version 2! Who needs carbon fiber when you have some plastic pipe!

kpixels

Antigravity or bust...
You know Kpixels, Eachine makes a VRX that connects to your phone (or computer). It's about $30 (see Amazon), and if you get some 'Google Cardboard' type VR goggles for you phone, I think you could have a FPV setup pretty cheap. I haven't tried a VR setup, but the receiver works pretty well. Not much latency on my old Samsung phone, plus it works as a DVR.

I like version 2! Who needs carbon fiber when you have some plastic pipe!

Hi PenguinWings, Thanks for the comment!
Did you mean VTX? These are both full FPV with OSD using the video signal from Xiaomi Yi camera. I have a FPV monitor and a pair of eachine goggles but because I have to wear readers to see up close I can't use them as goggles. The goggles pull apart so I wear them around my neck with a para-cord strap and just glance down at it sometimes. What I meant by the part that you quoted is that they make goggles with vision correction but they cost more than I can spend right now.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Have you done any tuning on this or is it still stock pids? I ask because the topic of FPV is popping up more and that is far too loose to be flying FPV to be safe. FPV tends to make you wanna do more and more risky stuff and if you don't have tight control you will have issues for sure. If that is tuned well and is still that loose and drifty I suggest you don't fly near things nor try to fly low or precise maneuvers. At least until you can figure out why it is so loose and correct the issue.

This is a neat idea in true Flite Test style so it will be cool to see how far this can be taken and the viability for it to be flown safely and controllable like foam has become.

kpixels

Antigravity or bust...
Parts List for Version 1 and 2

Here is a parts list of both versions but keep in mind V2 is not a win, it still oscillates. I did get the ESC calibration to save this time but the oscillation is still there. I'm sure it is from a bit of flex I just noticed in the long section between front and back motor booms. I will have to reinforce it first because there should be no flex. I think that will fix it though, we'll see.

V1
LHI motors and SimonK ESCs (~$65 for 4)
Iluminati Flight Controller with OSD ($25)
AKK 600 mw VTX (~$15)
Matek PDB (~$10)
FPV plug for your action camera (~$6)
12V LED lights (~$5)
4 6" lengths of 1" polyflex pipe
1 9.5" length of 1" polyflex pipe
2 1" polyflex T fittings
12" x 2" x 1/8" lightweight paneling/plywood
12" x 2" x 1/8" foam core with paper removed
1.5" x 3.5" of 1/32" aluminum sheet metal
plastic zip ties aka wire wraps straps or ties
heat shrink tubing
double sided foam tape, rubber splicing tape recommended but optional
Tools - drill, exacto and/or boxcutter, ruler, soldering iron, scissors
Note: If you're not experienced with tools please consult an adult for guidance.

V2
LHI 2212/920KV motors and SimonK ESCs (~$65 for 4)
Wolfwhoop Omnibus F4 Flight Controller with PDB, VTX and OSD ($43)
FPV plug for your action camera (~$6)
12V LED lights (~$5)
2 13.5" length of 1" polyflex pipe
1 12" length of 6mm (1/4") expanded PVC Sheet (HomeDepot 2' x 4' sheet for $14)
2 10" lengths of 1/2" polyflex pipe
plastic zip ties aka wire wraps straps or ties (lightweight, several sizes)
heat shrink tubing
double sided foam tape
rubber splicing tape recommended but optional
Tools - drill, exacto and/or boxcutter, ruler, soldering iron, scissors
Note: If you're not experienced with tools please consult an adult for guidance.

The camera booms are made from two lengths of the 1/2" polyflex. The camera mount is bit involved but I'll share details if anyone is interested.

Last edited:

kpixels

Antigravity or bust...
Have you done any tuning on this or is it still stock pids? I ask because the topic of FPV is popping up more and that is far too loose to be flying FPV to be safe. FPV tends to make you wanna do more and more risky stuff and if you don't have tight control you will have issues for sure. If that is tuned well and is still that loose and drifty I suggest you don't fly near things nor try to fly low or precise maneuvers. At least until you can figure out why it is so loose and correct the issue.

This is a neat idea in true Flite Test style so it will be cool to see how far this can be taken and the viability for it to be flown safely and controllable like foam has become.

I haven't done any tuning yet. Flying in the middle of an RC field, line of sight, but that doesn't mean I can't have FPV also. Thanks for the advice.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
kpixels, LOVE IT!
Ecstatic that it will be in the 70's here in OH today! Too bad it is supposed to be windy as all get out with gusts 30kt+ . But I will brave the winds and get something in the air today one way or another. Be interesting to see how my F550 HEX handles the wind. These old big things are more than capable of performing aerobatics and sound WAY cool when doing so. Should throw my FT Split Cube pod on this puppy....

Will probably also get Strix Awk210 #2 with a RunCam Split, and Strix Awk210 #1 with a RunCam HD2 for comparison purposes. I didn't realize the HD2 has stabilization, but it is obvious that the Split does not. So I want to go back to back with nearly identical quads to compare the difference. Suppose It would not be that difficult to move the HD2 mount over to #2 and get a concurrent comparison. Then I only have to get one frame all muddied up. Should take a blanket or tarp to the field for a landing pad. Tarp would probably be better with some tent stakes so it doesn't blow away.

Cheers!
LitterBug

kpixels

Antigravity or bust...
kpixels, LOVE IT!
Ecstatic that it will be in the 70's here in OH today! Too bad it is supposed to be windy as all get out with gusts 30kt+ . But I will brave the winds and get something in the air today one way or another. Be interesting to see how my F550 HEX handles the wind...
Will probably also get Strix Awk210 #2 with a RunCam Split, and Strix Awk210 #1 with a RunCam HD2 for comparison purposes...

Wow thanks Karl, love the all caps! Yes, it is so beautiful out today, needed this, but way to windy to fly. I'm working anyway but I did notice last night is that it's staying light until about 6:30 which means I'll be able to grab some quick flights after work thru the week. Sunday was the first I've flown in three weeks because the nasty weather and my schedule.
That "Strix Awk210" should be awesome, keep me updated on how it's coming. I'm building a rooster next based on G3R FPV's rig, and I'm also getting a Hero 5 Session just for it. Well have a good one, have to get back to work...
Ken

kpixels

Antigravity or bust...
Will probably also get Strix Awk210 #2 with a RunCam Split, and Strix Awk210 #1 with a RunCam HD2 for comparison purposes. I didn't realize the HD2 has stabilization, but it is obvious that the Split does not.

I was thinking about getting this "RunCam 3 64G HD WiFi FPV Camera" but I decided to save the extra $100 and get the GoPro. I wonder how good the wifi fpv works on the runcam though. When are you doing your test?

Never mind about RunCam3 I guess it's discontinued...

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
@LB I grabbed one of those plastic car mats, the square ones for back seat floors. That fits perfect in a back pack and works great for damp or wet areas. The only thing is that plastic smell gets embedded in the bag for a long time.

@Kpixels yeah the runcam 3 was removed from the market place over copy writes to the style of power button believe it or not hehe. Shame too as the review videos I saw looked like it would have been a huge competitor to the Session 5.

Oh and I would say to try a tune on it before going thru a redesign. It seems sturdy enough on flips and rolls. The oscillations can be normal for stock pids. I don't think structural issues will show up really until you get to fast and crisp flips and rolls. More then likely this could be a pretty stable camera platform when tuned up as is. Freestyle and such that has high stress maneuvers would show any weaknesses pretty quick. That would also bring in the question of durability. This like cost for frame replacement would be low but then you would have to see what the survivabilty rate is for things like cameras and motors in crashes where the frame is broken.

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
LOL.... wow.... first trip to the field today in 80 sunny weather..... and that was the best part of it. Took two quads, one had dead VTX from the start so no go, the other got two flights in before that VTX decided to die. Literally Stuck a landing... in the mud. and then found out that my truck didn't want to go into 4WD and was stuck... Managed to get it out with help from my neighbor pulling me all the way out of the field. So need to get some work done before next trip to the field. Stupid thing is, the replacement Transfer Case motor that decided not to shift into 4WD came saturday, but I went to the field instead of putting it in today. LOL. Not the best of flights, but will check to see if any of the footage is worth posting.

Cheers!
LitterBug

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Show us yours going splat and Ill see if I can retrieve the video of mine going splat in the cow poo providing nothing fried while all the arcing and sparking was going on.

kpixels

Antigravity or bust...
@Kpixels yeah the runcam 3 was removed from the market place over copy writes to the style of power button believe it or not hehe. Shame too as the review videos I saw looked like it would have been a huge competitor to the Session 5.

It says on Banggood that it is going to be restocked soon. Sure would be cool to check one out.

Oh and I would say to try a tune on it before going thru a redesign. It seems sturdy enough on flips and rolls. The oscillations can be normal for stock pids. I don't think structural issues will show up really until you get to fast and crisp flips and rolls. More then likely this could be a pretty stable camera platform when tuned up as is. Freestyle and such that has high stress maneuvers would show any weaknesses pretty quick. That would also bring in the question of durability. This like cost for frame replacement would be low but then you would have to see what the survivabilty rate is for things like cameras and motors in crashes where the frame is broken.

All of the videos so far are from version 1. I haven't flown version 2 other than just hovering 10-15 ft because of the oscillation that I mentioned. I experimented around yesterday reinforcing the ends and it improved. I have a good idea to reinforce that current design the next chance I get to work on it.

I'll get around to tuning version 1 but I need to Flash BetaFlight first and I might actually just go with a better FC. I have this thing about wanting to fly a new build, if it will, at least a few times before I tear it apart. Sunday was the first chance I've been able to fly it since the last video almost three weeks ago, but have built version 2 in the mean time.

Keep a few things in mind about version 1 and me doing stunts. It sounds like you might be expecting to see my stunt flying as if it were performed FPV only. Since I'm not flying FPV only, I have to rely on determining the orientation from several hundred feet away. That means that some corrections on the sticks are guesses because there is a lot going on really fast. At times I can't actually determine the orientation until I see which way it's leaning, falling or heading. Add to that, most of my flying is typically in Angle mode, so when I switch to Horizon mode it looks like crap because I don't have the FC preventing me from over correcting. Bottom line is I'm having a blast with it and no deer were harmed.

kpixels

Antigravity or bust...
LOL.... wow.... first trip to the field today in 80 sunny weather..... and that was the best part of it. Took two quads, one had dead VTX from the start so no go, the other got two flights in before that VTX decided to die. Literally Stuck a landing... in the mud...
Ooh, sorry to hear about the muddy mess! Will catch up on this after work...

kpixels

Antigravity or bust...
Are You Thinking What I'm Thinking?

Thanks to everyone at FliteTest for the constant inspiration!
I just wiped a half inch of dust off this old-school f-330 that's been hanging around.
F-330-cc3d-1080-a.jpg
It worked great the last time I flew it.
F-330-cc3d-1080-b.jpg
Probably too soon for version 3?

kpixels

Antigravity or bust...
Stupid thing is, the replacement Transfer Case motor that decided not to shift into 4WD came saturday, but I went to the field instead of putting it in today. LOL. Not the best of flights, but will check to see if any of the footage is worth posting.
Got a feeling you're in your garage today. Looking forward also to seeing if you got some footage. That nice weather didn't last very long at all, at least you got a piece of it...

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Keep a few things in mind about version 1 and me doing stunts. It sounds like you might be expecting to see my stunt flying as if it were performed FPV only. .

No sir, that is not the case. I have no expectations on anyone but myself. Merely pointing out the significance of tuning and just how much it can effect flights no matter if they are FPV or LOS. If you noticed after a lot of your rolls there was a tendency for the quad to wobble about quite a bit. I am reasonably sure that you are not wiggling the sticks back and forth that many times even when flying LOS at a distance.

I will give you an example of a better tuned quad being flown LOS where you will see where ever the quad is put it stays. No back and forth action, no floatyness to compare with your flight so you can see the difference and what to look for. This will help in the design process you are going thru as you will better be able to tell or see what is flying and what is physical as far as the characteristics of your craft.

In the video you can see over corrections, wobbly sticks and uncoordinated turning but you wont see the all over the place reaction after a maneuver. That is what a better tighter tune gets you. That way you are flying your quad not reacting to it if that makes sense. This will also make design issues be more visible then pilot skills or gear related capabilities.