4XTrouble

quorneng

Master member
I wouldn't worry. Tandem props, particularly when that far apart, are not a problem.
In 'flight' mode the rear props will produce just a bit less thrust.
After all full size contra rotating props are only inches apart.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Pre-rolled up the tubes the night before to see if it would help hold the shape and it was a 50/50 success. This stuff I believe is called Selitac out of Germany and made for flooring, about 3mm thickness and is ribbed on one side so it rolls pretty easy anyways. Great for things like this but not super strong but it sure cuts really easy and clean.

2019_1221_224847_001.JPG

Wildthing

Legendary member
Cool!! Are the motors some sort of bdf
No just some little quad motors I got through Amazon, LHI L300 MT2204 2300kv.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01E3OT7NE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We will see how good they are , they tested not bad . Spinning some Dalprop T5040c tri blades on 4S they produce 23oz of thrust and draw about 21A at full throttle. In this case it wasn't for max thrust of what the motor could do, 20A draw was my goal because that is what the esc's are 20A . They run cool so I know they could spin a bigger prop.

L Edge

Master member
Cross pieces are now in, once cured then start rolling on the shell.

View attachment 151749

Like the vanes, that will help straighten the flow, especially aft. Should not bother the second tubes of any great extent.
If this thing doesn't work, suggest you rigid the motor/prop and use sevos at the rear to set up either elevators/ailerons/rudder or combos like this.

In quest of 1 EDF to do VTOL, did this setup of putting elevons and rudder (heli parts) at the exhaust. Had good directional control of airflow but response of EDF of spooling up/down was too slow. Just put at end of tubes.

P1010011.JPG

Wildthing

Legendary member
Like the vanes, that will help straighten the flow, especially aft. Should not bother the second tubes of any great extent.
If this thing doesn't work, suggest you rigid the motor/prop and use sevos at the rear to set up either elevators/ailerons/rudder or combos like this.

In quest of 1 EDF to do VTOL, did this setup of putting elevons and rudder (heli parts) at the exhaust. Had good directional control of airflow but response of EDF of spooling up/down was too slow. Just put at end of tubes.

View attachment 151816
I did a similar setup a couple years ago on my F15 edf plane, worked great until a 3D printed part failed :D :D .

I was already thinking that if this doesn't work and the tubes survive of mounting them into a large wing of some sort with control surfaces behind them , 2 for roll and 2 for pitch :)

Wildthing

Legendary member
One step closer. :) . With the tubes on I figured while they are off let's give them a little color and initially I was just going to give them each a strip of wing tape front and rear then one rolled away on me and instead of just letting it go I grabbed it and put my finger through it. I did say this foam is nice to work with but is very weak :D :D , never the less they are now covered totally with wing tape :)
2019_1222_154145_001.JPG
2019_1222_154151_002.JPG
2019_1222_154156_003.JPG

mach1 rc

Master member
One step closer. :) . With the tubes on I figured while they are off let's give them a little color and initially I was just going to give them each a strip of wing tape front and rear then one rolled away on me and instead of just letting it go I grabbed it and put my finger through it. I did say this foam is nice to work with but is very weak :D:D , never the less they are now covered totally with wing tape :)
View attachment 151829 View attachment 151830 View attachment 151831
Looking nice!!How are you going to turn it ?

Wildthing

Legendary member
After a bit of farting around I have everything going in the direction I want it with the new Jumper T16 Pro TX, atleast for now :) . Few trips back and forth from the garage to the pc to make changes , slowly learning how to program it.

Any how, my initial testing of these motors I was planning on 4S which they will handle but on the bench this thing seems like it will have a ton of power on 3S, always a nice option.
For deflection or in the tx uses the term "weight" I have the front at twice the amount of the rear for roll and pitch. My thinking is the front has more control of it's destiny then the rear .
Pitch control all 4 tubes move in the same direction just at different rates
Roll control each side moves in their same direction

In my brain all tubes must maintain a positive angle to keep the lift going whether it is for pitch or roll.

Differential thrust is setup on all 4 motors right now and it turns sitting on the table with very little throttle, I am almost thinking of making the rear ones do it on it's own reason being there isn't a wing surface to rely on to glide with so to make sure it maintains lift I would rather have the rear cut power then the front.

Here is my initial test with the new tx.:)

Wildthing

Legendary member
Nothing at this point is locked onto the cf shafts , first I have to decide on overall length .
May have to build some long skis so I can taxi test it to get an idea of it's lift so I can adjust the angles of the tubes.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Nothing at this point is locked onto the cf shafts , first I have to decide on overall length .
May have to build some long skis so I can taxi test it to get an idea of it's lift so I can adjust the angles of the tubes.
Hey just a question, and the maiden will probably tell the story, wouldn't the pitch angles work better if the front pitched up when the backs pitch down. Kinda opposite of each other. The way you have it set up it might gain elevation when you pull back but theoretically in a level position, like a drone. Might be more responsive if they angled opposite I am thinking.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Hey just a question, and the maiden will probably tell the story, wouldn't the pitch angles work better if the front pitched up when the backs pitch down. Kinda opposite of each other. The way you have it set up it might gain elevation when you pull back but theoretically in a level position, like a drone. Might be more responsive if they angled opposite I am thinking.
On a normal plane I would say yes but my brain is saying that with very little lift it would then just go into a loop or high alpha. My brain :D v