4XTrouble

Wildthing

Legendary member
I figured I would start a thread on this guy, it will more then likely be a very short lived one though :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
4XTrouble-1.jpg
4XTrouble-2.jpg
4XTrouble-3.jpg

Wildthing

Legendary member
So just so i get it, this is supposed to be a harrier style VTOL with full TV and it controls the stability by the pitch of the ducts instead of by the motor speed like a quad, or control surfaces right?
No VTOL, I would need a control board and have to learn how to program it too , probably should have some type of board or gyro in it anyways.

But in theory yes the ducts hopefully will be the stability , they will have a elevon type mix in them front and rear. The ducts hopefully will be my wings. For turning differential thrust by the motors mixed into the rudder stick. In my brain it works but it has been known to make the odd mistake :cool::cool:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
No VTOL, I would need a control board and have to learn how to program it too , probably should have some type of board or gyro in it anyways.

But in theory yes the ducts hopefully will be the stability , they will have a elevon type mix in them front and rear. The ducts hopefully will be my wings. For turning differential thrust by the motors mixed into the rudder stick. In my brain it works but it has been known to make the odd mistake :cool::cool:
I like how you are simplifying a process with just mixing instead of the usual gyro computer board most do. This is actually venturing into @Vimana89 and @L Edge territory with the level of outside the box logic. Dont tell me they sucked another one to the dark side :LOL:

Vimana89

Legendary member
I like how you are simplifying a process with just mixing instead of the usual gyro computer board most do. This is actually venturing into @Vimana89 and @L Edge territory with the level of outside the box logic. Dont tell me they sucked another one to the dark side :LOL:
What he's building is a bit above my current skillset and resources, but It's extremely interesting and does follow that general mindset. I love the idea. I'm watching this one for ideas and just to see where it goes(y).

Wildthing

Legendary member
Not by choice though, finished all my soldering making a 4 into 1 battery connector plus wire an external bec into it because the esc's I am using are real tiny 20A opto by Turnigy. Well one motor doesn't like to start very good, if I use 1% throttle it will slowly stop stuttering and go smooth and then it is like normal, that is until you let it stop. The other 3 work like a charm so needless to say I don't have another set of 4 matching motors . Good part is I didn't have them all mounted and wired in before I tested the wiring harness.

L Edge

Master member

Ah, the dark side. It offers so much, where if designed right, it works. My goal is to have airplanes that are different, not only in design, but improvements. Hovering and higher alpha's are part of my game. Thrusters, nose strakes, close coupled canards(not lifting), stabilizers all work for me. A lot of this can be passed on were other's in the future can say, I remember reading about that, so it can be done.

"Wildthing" fell into the dark side as soon as he dreamed it up. Will see if it is possible. He picked up the first point, 4 engines have to run the same tofly. See how he solve it.

Here is a quicky for you.
Why don't you try my leading edge flaps on your F-22? There are three versions, one-just glue them on..Second, put some servos on and program it so up to 1/2 throttle it is extended at different varables and level for fast flights and below 1/2 throttle on landing it will slow you down for landing.
Third version, I am automating the LEF with flaps now. Still experimental.

What did I learn from this.
1) You can get tighter turns
2) Improved higher angle of attacks on takeoff as well as landing.
3) Rocks like heck, increases stall angle, yet is comfortable to fly.
4) Flies well in very windy weather.
5) Don't want it to rock, reduce angle.
6) Reduce crashes.
7) You can STOL it and pick your landing point.

As you can see, I am pushing the craft close to the stalling point, so just nose over some to stop the wobble.
The result of the dark side.

Last edited:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Ah, the dark side. It offers so much, where if designed right, it works. My goal is to have airplanes that are different, not only in design, but improvements. Hovering and higher alpha's are part of my game. Thrusters, nose strakes, close coupled canards(not lifting), stabilizers all work for me. A lot of this can be passed on were other's in the future can say, I remember reading about that, so it can be done.

"Wildthing" fell into the dark side as soon as he dreamed it up. Will see if it is possible. He picked up the first point, 4 engines have to run the same tofly. See how he solve it.

Why don't you try my leading edge flaps on your F-22? There are three versions, one-just glue them on..Second, put some servos on and program it so up to 1/2 throttle it is extended at different varables and level for fast flights and below 1/2 throttle on landing it will slow you down for landing.

6) Reduce crashes.

As you can see, I am pushing the craft close to the stalling point, so just nose over some to stop the wobble.

That thing rocks so much it almost is hypnotising 😁

mach1 rc

Master member

6) Reduce crashes.

Sweet plane!!!!