5.8 fpv system not working right

HawK86uk

Professional Amateur
Alright, I'm confused now..

My understanding - so please correct me if I'm wrong - is that there isn't any transmittal difference between RP-SMA and SMA, and that the key difference within RP-SMA was to create a bespoke connector to comply with specific local regulations, therefore an SMA to RP-SMA adapter or vice versa wouldn't actually impact the frequency of power levels of the radio waves?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
This is correct.

RP-SMA exists solely as an old FCC part-15 compliance measure because SMA was a long existing standard connector in these power/frequency ranges, and Part-15 required the devices to have a non-standard connector. This measure has long since gone the way of the dodo, since RP-SMA has itself become standard and many devices using it can generate power levels WAY above the unlicensed limits.

There is no frequency advantage between the two, besides the fact they don't mix without an adapter.

FPVology

Alright, I'm confused now..

My understanding - so please correct me if I'm wrong - is that there isn't any transmittal difference between RP-SMA and SMA, and that the key difference within RP-SMA was to create a bespoke connector to comply with specific local regulations, therefore an SMA to RP-SMA adapter or vice versa wouldn't actually impact the frequency of power levels of the radio waves?

RP means "reversed pinned" so you can't use a RPSMA male with SMA female or vice-versa.
In this case he might have a SMA female with RPSMA male or vice versa, which WILL affect its ability to transmit the frequency. If the 90deg adapter he was using was connecting this SMA transmitter to his RPSMA antenna - and now the problem is fixed, that would make a lot of sense.