5.8ghz

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
I am just about to pull the trigger on my first attempt to get into this but REALLY don't want
to spend $400.00 plus for an experiment. The thing that concerns me about 5.8 is upgrading to better
antenaes that are too small to accurately produce myself to get decent range.
This was me...I didn't want to drop $300-$400 and find I didn't really like it that much so I spent $50 on the 900MHz/200mW package from HK. It can always be upgraded if I really end up liking it.

PaulT

Mentor
After ordering the system I dropped an email directly to Alex at http://videoaerialsystems.com/ who makes the BluBeam cloverleaf
antenaes (antennas for you yanks).
Talk about service....less than a couple hours and a reply was given with a 5 day delivery
quote.
Spending money like a drunken sailer!
I was intending on building the cloverleafs but without a proper swr meter one
can fry the transmitter fairly quickly. (don't ask how I know this)P

HK 5.8 mhz tx/rx set. $62.85
HK ccd Ntsc camera. $16.99
BluBeam whip antenna set. $64.00
EasyCAP DC60 - USB 2.0 Audio/video cable for laptop. $7.20
I will start another build blog once I assemble all the bits.
Looking forward to the experiment.

F16V1PER

F16V1PER
No drama's with my Clover and Skew Planar antennas for 5.8Ghz. This is the only band I've used so far and I'm blown away by it. Mind you I wouldn't fly behind a building or anything like that lol

Just got our FrSky will let you know how it goes.

Wow, you got that far with out a single glitch. Now compared to the stock antennas how much better are clover antennas? I have gotten about 700ft max with this system with the stock antennas, is this a decent range for the antennas?

PaulT

Mentor
What did you do on your day off? Glad you asked. As posted before, got the parts
in good shape from HK and spent the better part of today building a plexi box,
and changing connectors.
The base is perforated aluminium formed using the original canopy as a template.

17ED77C7.jpg

20D80E2E.jpg

Trial fitting onto the plane.

DD133A98.jpg

Picture in a picture ??

07725DB9.jpg

Next step is to mount the tx onto the rear upper fuselage
The keychain camera is below the view of the ccd camera which worked out nicely.

004B2DC0.jpg

Last edited:

Brian fred carr

Site Moderator
Mentor
Any chance of a video on how to make your own antennas cmdrprompt....I have the 900mhz system and would like to boost it up
the antennas that came with it look naff.....if ya can thanks

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Yeah I´d appreciate a video version of Davids Pictorial too :) Pictures, good ;; Videos, better :D:D

Nice stuff you got there. I like the picture in the picture in the picture in the picture in the picture in the picture in the picture in the picture (I can´t believe I didn´t use the copy-paste function for this!).

Looking forward for some fpv footage!

PaulT

Mentor
Any chance of a video on how to make your own antennas cmdrprompt....I have the 900mhz system and would like to boost it up
the antennas that came with it look naff.....if ya can thanks

Check out Alex's web site at
http://videoaerialsystems.com/

or David's site at
http://rcexplorer.se/index.html

In 900 mhz, it is much easier to make your own antennae's than it is for 5.8 ghz

I have a fairly good command of English but don't know what "naff" or "antennas cmdrprompt" mean. I can only guess you have Auto-Correct on your computer.:D

I have posted some information on my build blog too.

Last edited:

bmsweb

Site Moderator
I have a fairly good command of English but don't know what "naff" or "antenna cmdrpromt" mean. I can only guess you have Auto-Correct on your computer.:D

Love it!

BTW: I plan on doing a Video tutorial on making a 5.8Ghz after this weekend . . sorry I've been on the quiet side but my son and I have a Taekwondo grading coming up this sunday

PaulT

Mentor
bmsweb, did you have an issue with the wiring?
I was a little more than apprehensive when a yellow wire is connected to a white one and then into a reverse pin out location on the camera.
And why is there one power to the camera and another to the tx when if you just power the tx it flows to the camera anyways?
Countless diatribes on the net with regards to blowing cameras and transmitters because of connecting the power to something that you shouldn't.
Looking forward to your video and good luck with the Taekwondo.

bmsweb

Site Moderator
And why is there one power to the camera and another to the tx when if you just power the tx it flows to the camera anyways?
Countless diatribes on the net with regards to blowing cameras and transmitters because of connecting the power to something that you shouldn't.
Looking forward to your video and good luck with the Taekwondo.

Thanks I can't wait for the Grading to be over . . sounds bad I know, but I really want to do some flying again and I can't wait.

Off memory I have my OSD powering my Video TX and the Video Camera. Having said that there is no reason why I can't have the OSD Power the TX which then in turn powers the Camera. It really shouldn't make a difference either way . . so long as it makes sense to you :) . . does it make sense?

PaulT

Mentor
HK now has this after I just spent 150 bucks for parts and pieces to experiment with FPV!!
And I still have to supply some sort of viewing platform.
For under $300.00 that means you get the goggles for about $150.00 which is not a bad deal at all.
20672-all.jpg

PTRogers85

One 2 FLY
HK now has this after I just spent 150 bucks for parts and pieces to experiment with FPV!!
And I still have to supply some sort of viewing platform.
For under $300.00 that means you get the goggles for about $150.00 which is not a bad deal at all.
View attachment 1966
I was thinking about the getting FatShark Predator as well but the TX is only a 100mw and the goggles Field of View is less as well
the FS Dominator has a FoV of 30° and the Predator has 25° ° , I don't have either goggles but I read about how the 5 ° would make a difference

PaulT

Mentor
FYI if any of you purchase the HobbyKing system be aware that the sma connectors that they use are in fact rp-sma (reverse polarity) and require an adaptor to use the cl/skew antennas that Alex at Video Aerial Systems sell.
Thank you Alex for your extremely prompt service and the 90 degree coupler.

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Paul I just got my hands on the FatShark Predators pictured above. I must say I the 100mw TX isn't that great. I couldn't believe the difference in noise and mulitpathing compared to the 200mw Hobby King system.

Having said that the Camera that it comes with is pretty good! and the Goggles are great!

PaulT

Mentor
I wonder if upgrading the antenna to blue beams will help or if in fact it is the the tx/rx that is the issue?
Spring has FINALLY arrived here. I will post my complete set up soon.

bmsweb

Site Moderator
That's Great Paul! I can't wait to see the setup :)

I tried the 100mw system with standard antennas along with my Skew Planar and Clover, which did improve the signal but it still seemed lacking. Having said that the 200mw system I normally use has the receiver antenna mounted about 2 meters high, which I'm sure would make a massive difference.

I have a feeling if I got the 600mw Immersion RC Video TX that would make the world of difference. I like the idea of being able to fly FPV with just the Goggles and the plane . . no putting up masts etc