5.8ghz

schraut5

Hi guys! I fly with 5.8 ghz gear and am very happy with it. I haven't quite gone 1 mile with it, not because of the video signal, but because I am worried that my Spektrum gear will lose signal!

I use homemade cloverleaf and skew planar wheel antennas, and they are great. Here is a video that shows my FPV setup and some FPV footage at the end. The second video is a build video I made for the circularly polarized antennas! They are actually pretty easy to make.

PaulT

Mentor
Well. After a truely dismal spring, summer has finally arrived in my part of the universe.
Got my son onto the video display and made a solid 2 km fpv flight last night amid clear skies and not a breath of wind.

The new power is a little too much but at 1/4 throttle, we made a couple 40 minute flights.
As an added bonus, I was able to put the Tek Sumo through it's paces until lawn darting it once too many times. Lol

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Wow Congratulations on the 2km mark!!! Well done. I know all about bad weather here at the moment. Thanks for posting the video :)

PaulT

Mentor
Thanks. I wish the video was better but the audio was worse!!lol.
I normally fly in an area that is clear of cell towers for at least 15 miles (25kms) or so.
My ground station is about 9 feet (3m) up.
It looks to me that my only limitations is my radio gear which I think is at or near it's safe operating.
If nothing else, it keeps me and my son enjoying stuff together.
He's a natural FPV pilot more so than I.

bmsweb

Site Moderator
If nothing else, it keeps me and my son enjoying stuff together.
He's a natural FPV pilot more so than I.
Most kids are, I think its all to do with them doing so much gaming etc. I can't believe how quick they pick things up!

My radio gear falls into the same category. I've only been out 2km so far, but I'm pretty sure 3km is possible. I've ordered a 1Watt Booster for the 2.4Ghz FrSky and will see how that goes.

Nonamerc

Arman
Most kids are, I think its all to do with them doing so much gaming etc. I can't believe how quick they pick things up!

My radio gear falls into the same category. I've only been out 2km so far, but I'm pretty sure 3km is possible. I've ordered a 1Watt Booster for the 2.4Ghz FrSky and will see how that goes.

You know that most (cheap) boosters have really bad filtering? I recommend that you range check your 2.4GHz FrSky system before using it.

Arman, Nonamerc

bmsweb

Site Moderator
I recommend that you range check your 2.4GHz FrSky system before using it.

Arman, Nonamerc

That's all I do now lol Seriously, all I've been doing the last month or so is confirming range of all the gear and I think I still have a few more months of testing to go.